Author Topic: TDRS-1 Imminent Failure/Deorbit  (Read 16198 times)

Offline jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8562
  • Likes Given: 320
Re: TDRS-1 Imminent Failure/Deorbit
« Reply #20 on: 10/14/2009 08:51 pm »
RELEASE:  09-71

NASA Retires Pioneering Tracking and Data Relay Satellite

GREENBELT, Md. -- After a rocky start and then a stellar 26-year performance, NASA’s Tracking and Data Relay Satellite – 1 (TDRS-1) is scheduled for decommissioning on October 28.

Communications equipment that links TDRS-1 to the ground has failed and without this capability it can no longer relay science data and spacecraft telemetry to ground stations located at the White Sands Complex in Las Cruces, N.M., and on Guam.

"Our immediate plans are to develop a strategy to shut down critical payload systems aboard the satellite," said Space Network Project Manager Roger Flaherty at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center. "Then the team will execute maneuvers to raise TDRS-1’s orbit, thus eliminating potential collision dangers with other communications satellites in geosynchronous orbit."

TDRS-1 had many firsts.Its position over the Indian Ocean successfully eliminated the "Zone of Exclusion" in an area where communications with spacecraft were previously impossible, thus providing true global coverage for all TDRS System customers.

In 1998, TDRS-1 garnished world-wide publicity when it provided the first medical teleconferencing link, complete with voice, video and imaging data from the South Pole. It was used again in July 2002 to provide continuous, dropout-free data during a two-hour telemedicine event involving a physician at the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Station and physicians at the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.

"Amazing results from a satellite that almost didn’t make it to orbit," said Flaherty.

TDRS-1’s upper stage failed upon deployment from the space shuttle in April 1983. Engineers at Goddard came to its rescue using the tiny, one-pound thrusters onboard the spacecraft. Over the course of several months they fired the thrusters to nudge TDRS-1 into its geosynchronous Earth orbit. NASA has used the satellite in ways never expected because its orbit has been inclining almost one degree per year since deployment.

Goddard’s Space Network Project provides overall management and direction of the operation and maintenance of the TDRS system, which consists of the on-orbit TDRS, the ground terminal on Guam and the ground complex at White Sands, N.M.

For more information about the TDRS Program, go to:

http://scp.gsfc.nasa.gov/sn/index.htm
Jacques :-)

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 118
  • Likes Given: 436
Re: TDRS-1 Immenant Failure/Deorbit
« Reply #21 on: 10/15/2009 12:13 am »
what abut disposed

"Supersynch" is a term that I've heard used before, and that I saw in an article yesterday about TDRS 1.

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 371
  • Likes Given: 228
« Reply #22 on: 10/15/2009 03:58 am »
Supersynch is a specific type of transfer orbit with apogee above geosynch.  In this context, it would be confusing at least, if not altogether wrong.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Offline Tergenev

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: 10/15/2009 05:25 pm »
I seem to remember reading that some of the Antarctic data transmission service would now be performed by TDRS-3, and also one of the older GOES satellites. Of course, I don't know, maybe those are what are providing them with their 4h a day now.

From the Spaceflight Now article:

"The replacement TDRS 3 satellite will pick up some of the communications support for the South Pole Station. The 31-year-old GOES 3 weather satellite, now relieved of its forecasting duties, is also used as a relay link with the South Pole, according to the National Science Foundation. "

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60431
  • Likes Given: 1305
« Reply #24 on: 10/15/2009 05:50 pm »
 I thought the dish on Black Island could pick up geosynchronous sats.
 Had an offer to work that facility and that's the impression I got from the interviewer.
« Last Edit: 10/17/2009 11:41 pm by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline bobthemonkey

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 26
« Reply #25 on: 10/17/2009 11:25 pm »
I thought the dish on Black Island could pick up geosynchronous, equatorial sats.
 Had an offer to work that facility and that's the impression I got from the interviewer.

Black Island serves McMurdo, which is the largest base on Antarctica, and the main source of supplies for over 1/2 the continent. Most cargo is flown into McMurdo, and then distributed onto the research stations. They currently use the main TDRS network, and will transition to the NPOESS birds when the come online.

The issue in the original post was about the loss of TDRS (SPTR) link to Amundsen-Scott, which the base at the actual South Pole. As it is at 90˚ South, it is out of view of the main GEO fleet. As such, communication was only available by GEO birds that had drifted (or otherwise moved) out of the normal GEO plain.

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
« Reply #26 on: 10/17/2009 11:56 pm »
 Thanks Bob. Now that I read the article with my eyes open I see "South pole station"
 If someone was retiring a geo sat for technical reasons that still had enough fuel for some maneuvering, maybe they can make a deal. I know another transponder on Telstar 14 seems to be out every time I look.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline bobthemonkey

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #27 on: 10/18/2009 12:30 am »
Well, with TDRS 3 filling the gap, the Iridium bank for emergencies and critical data (Iridium now offer this as a commercial service - the pole implantation was home brew) and a few other birds dropping into the -12˚ inclination necessary then the data rate may hold. Then again, more bandwidth is more bandwidth.

I think there was some talk about replacing the sat link with hardened fibre optics, laid along the South Pole Traverse (McMurdo-Pole 'highway') which would then link to the T1 equivalent sitcom at Black Island.

« Last Edit: 10/18/2009 12:31 am by bobthemonkey »

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 1275
« Reply #28 on: 10/18/2009 08:31 am »
Sort of surprising that some sort of science-dedicated hardline/microwave-relay network hasn't already been designed/funded/constructed to mutually benefit all the nations involved in Antarctic research.

It's been, what, 40 plus years since mostly permanent Antarctic scientific manned stations and headquarters have been established from a number of countries?
Has it really been that difficult to agree to mutually fund, design, and build one or more common high-speed data paths across Antarctica, and to the main Earth backbones, that all nations and researchers are able to transmit and receive large amounts of digital data?

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
« Reply #29 on: 10/18/2009 03:00 pm »
Has it really been that difficult to agree to mutually fund, design, and build one or more common high-speed data paths across Antarctica, and to the main Earth backbones, that all nations and researchers are able to transmit and receive large amounts of digital data?

Obviously it has been...

Gathering data always seem to be paramount. However, the infrastructure always seems to lag. I'll never understand it. It always seems to be a mixed bag of priorities & fundamental understandings.

Offline bobthemonkey

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #30 on: 10/18/2009 06:36 pm »
There hasn't been too much of a call for it.

The larger, coastal stations can use the main GEO fleet, hardlines or Microwave back to the mainland.

The smaller, inland outposts tend to be seasonal (summer only) and are mostly concerned with collection activities (Ice coring etc) with the actual analysis done elsewhere, so the need for high speed data doesn't really exist. Voice is handled by RF or Iridium and the outposts are kept topped up by flights.

It's only really A-S that needs the big pipe, and It seems to [just about] manage.
For a lot of work, it's not practical to put all of the analysis kit in theatre; it's easier to record the raw data locally, then analyse offsite. 

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
« Reply #31 on: 10/19/2009 11:49 am »
Sort of surprising that some sort of science-dedicated hardline/microwave-relay network hasn't already been designed/funded/constructed to mutually benefit all the nations involved in Antarctic research.

It's been, what, 40 plus years since mostly permanent Antarctic scientific manned stations and headquarters have been established from a number of countries?

It's not all that easy to design a path that long without relays, and powering the relays can be a problem. About the only thing I can think of would be a trans oceanic cable, and those things ain't cheap. Probably not made for -130F either. I'm not sure if any fiber is designed for that.   
 I spent a good part of my career  maintaining microwave links in some pretty inaccesable locations, but none as bad as half way between McMurdo and the pole in July.
 Iridium is becoming a victim of their own success. They have so many customers now days it's getting hard to keep a link for more than 15 minutes. Unless there's some sort of higher level of service than I get the calls are almost always dropped when it comes time to hand them off.

Offline MKremer

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 1275
« Reply #32 on: 10/19/2009 03:51 pm »

Obviously it has been...

Gathering data always seem to be paramount. However, the infrastructure always seems to lag. I'll never understand it. It always seems to be a mixed bag of priorities & fundamental understandings.

Reading your reply, it occurred to me that perhaps it's the modern-day demand for more immediate data access and 'gratification'. IOW, the data can be collected and waiting for distribution... it's just the matter of how quickly it gets to where it needs to be.

30 or more years ago, it wouldn't be that much of a concern to the public (or even a science investigator) if they had to wait weeksor months to finally get the data and results from a project one or more scientists have already spent months or years setting up and running to gather data. And then it would take further months in processing and interpreting the data for a result/paper/publication.

Now, we want not only the data, but results *immediately*. We've become pretty spoiled.
« Last Edit: 10/19/2009 03:53 pm by MKremer »

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
« Reply #33 on: 10/19/2009 06:39 pm »

Obviously it has been...

Reading your reply, it occurred to me that perhaps it's the modern-day demand for more immediate data access and 'gratification'. IOW, the data can be collected and waiting for distribution... it's just the matter of how quickly it gets to where it needs to be.

30 or more years ago, it wouldn't be that much of a concern to the public (or even a science investigator) if they had to wait weeksor months to finally get the data and results from a project one or more scientists have already spent months or years setting up and running to gather data. And then it would take further months in processing and interpreting the data for a result/paper/publication.

Now, we want not only the data, but results *immediately*. We've become pretty spoiled.

We may be spoiled, yes, but our thirst for knowledge has created a glut of information to go along with it. We take it for granted that we have lots of hard drives here in our offices & at home to store data. I'm not sure of the required bandwidth, or the amount of data being collected, but I'm sure having to manage thermal constraints on drives (not to mention all the other hardware) is a big problem in the artic/antartic.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography