Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery  (Read 110761 times)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
Star Trek Discovery
« on: 07/23/2016 11:31 pm »

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
Re: Star Trek Discovery
« Reply #1 on: 07/24/2016 02:18 am »
Well the new TV show has a name and its first trailer.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/23/12257910/star-trek-discovery-tv-series-trailer-cbs-sdcc-2016

USS Discovery, NCC-1031. Suggests the setting is a generation or two before Captain Kirk, and thus the original timeline, not the new movie timeline.

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #2 on: 07/24/2016 02:22 am »
Well the new TV show has a name and its first trailer.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/7/23/12257910/star-trek-discovery-tv-series-trailer-cbs-sdcc-2016

USS Discovery, NCC-1031. Suggests the setting is a generation or two before Captain Kirk, and thus the original timeline, not the new movie timeline.

New series is set in the "prime" universe of TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT.  Bryan Fuller confirmed this after the Comic Con panel.

Interesting, too, and I agree, that the Discovery's registry number indicates a setting between Enterprise and TOS.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
« Reply #3 on: 07/24/2016 02:38 am »
I'm not so sure - the ship looks very much like a Federation/Klingon hybrid.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Space Core

• "I'm the best at space."
  • US
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 231
« Reply #4 on: 07/24/2016 02:52 am »
The ship is an almost verbatim copy from the Star Trek: Phase II concept art, even down to the asteroid spacedock.  Not sure how I feel about that.  Google Image Search if you're curious.

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: 07/24/2016 03:23 am »
Hah! I actually didn't need Google - I just looked at a 1978 copy of Starlog magazine I had. And I even remember buying that magazine. It's not an exact copy, but is strongly reminiscent, yes.

http://67.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ly0u3xrMzh1qj0npso1_500.jpg
« Last Edit: 07/24/2016 03:24 am by MATTBLAK »
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #6 on: 07/24/2016 07:05 am »
I have seen some commentary online from US fans that reckons this will be easier to watch for the rest of the world than in its home territory because it's being shown through Netflix everywhere other than the US?
« Last Edit: 07/24/2016 07:06 am by Star One »

Offline Helodriver

• Liked: 5971
  • Likes Given: 700
« Reply #7 on: 07/24/2016 07:55 am »
USS Discovery NCC-1031. Space Shuttle Discovery OV-103. Coincidence? I think not.

Offline Space Core

• "I'm the best at space."
  • US
  • Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 231
« Reply #8 on: 07/24/2016 08:37 am »
I have seen some commentary online from US fans that reckons this will be easier to watch for the rest of the world than in its home territory because it's being shown through Netflix everywhere other than the US?

Pretty much.  The pilot will air on CBS in the US, with subsequent episodes streaming exclusively on CBS All Access, which is $5.99 a month.  I suppose this is poetic justic for all the times we get the goods on Netflix in the States.  I don't really care to sign up for yet another streaming service, so the pilot better impress.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek:_Discovery#Release

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #9 on: 07/24/2016 08:40 am »

Perhaps, but I thought it was alluding to Space Shuttle Discovery's orbiter designation number (OV-103)

Offline kch

• Liked: 496
  • Likes Given: 8807
« Reply #10 on: 07/24/2016 10:03 am »

Perhaps, but I thought it was alluding to Space Shuttle Discovery's orbiter designation number (OV-103)

It seems even more likely to be both -- humans *can* be clever that way (sometimes) ... ;)

Offline Jarnis

• Liked: 830
  • Likes Given: 201
« Reply #11 on: 07/24/2016 11:52 am »
Pretty crude CGI. Makes me worry about the budget of the whole thing.

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #12 on: 07/25/2016 11:02 am »
Trivia note, the Discovery is very similar to Ralph McQuarrie's concept art for the Enterprise in the abortive Star Trek - Phase II TV series that was in pre-production in the mid-1970s.

Personally, I'm not a fan of the design, which looks like a cheap kit bash of the original Enterprise and the Klingon D7. I suspect that the intent was to create a design that looks like an evolutionary mid-point between the designs of the Enterprise NX-01 and the Constitution-class but I'm not sure how well they did to that end.
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline MATTBLAK

• New Zealand
« Reply #13 on: 07/25/2016 11:22 am »
Some of the Star Trek Online ship options aren't too bad. I wonder how 'canon' they are to the Prime Trek Universe?  http://www.hamsterserver.com/images/sto/SpidermitchFEDShipChart.jpg

Offline okan170

• Los Angeles
  • Liked: 6806
  • Likes Given: 1345
« Reply #14 on: 07/25/2016 07:26 pm »
Pretty crude CGI. Makes me worry about the budget of the whole thing.

Yeah, its pretty concerning.  Apparently its extremely early and was rushed out... though I'd honestly prefer them to have waited and released something that looks finished so they don't accidentally build negative buzz before the show comes out!

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 4477
  • Likes Given: 1108
« Reply #15 on: 07/25/2016 10:31 pm »
Low expectations would be good for a change, I think. It's always better when the buzz happens as a result of people actually watching and enjoying the show.
Human spaceflight is basically just LARPing now.

Offline mjcrsmith

• Harvard, IL
  • Liked: 47
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #16 on: 07/25/2016 11:00 pm »
OK got a ship.  Sure there will be plenty of CGI.

Bigger question do we have writers and a show runner than can create stories that make us care about the characters?

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #17 on: 07/25/2016 11:34 pm »
USS Discovery NCC-1031. Space Shuttle Discovery OV-103. Coincidence? I think not.

I like that.

And per the CGI....remember the promos for Ronald D Moore's BSG? Laser guns and dodgy as heck. They ramped it up for the series start (and then ramped it up during the seasons). So I'm not too worried.

Need to get Nathan on the job, otherwise ;D
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline jtrame

• W4FJT
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Liked: 86
  • Likes Given: 346
« Reply #18 on: 07/26/2016 12:11 am »
Low expectations would be good for a change, I think. It's always better when the buzz happens as a result of people actually watching and enjoying the show.

The original series did so much on the most important level without any budget to speak of.  Spot on post.

Offline Thorny

• Regular
  • San Angelo, Texas
  • Liked: 300
  • Likes Given: 457
« Reply #19 on: 07/26/2016 01:51 am »
Bigger question do we have writers and a show runner than can create stories that make us care about the characters?

Alex Kurtzman ("Lost", "Star Trek", "Star Trek Into Darkness") Is Executive Producer.
Bryan Fuller ("Star Trek: Voyager", Pushing Daisies", "Hannibal") is showrunner.
Nicholas Meyer ("Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home", Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country") is writing.
David Semel ("Heroes" pilot episode, "House", "Person of Interest") will direct the pilot episode.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography