Author Topic: Google Earth Pads 39A & 39B  (Read 1943 times)

Offline Paul Adams

• Veteran
  • United Kingdom and USA
  • Liked: 36
  • Likes Given: 24
Google Earth Pads 39A & 39B
« on: 02/21/2007 08:24 PM »
Anyone noticed that on 'Google Earth' there is a MLP on 39A and another wating at the Gate to 39B. I wonder if this is a 'real' occurance, or results from stiching together photos from different times?

Paul
It's all in the data.

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 473
  • Likes Given: 19
RE: Google Earth Pads 39A & 39B
« Reply #1 on: 02/21/2007 08:32 PM »
Paul Adams - 21/2/2007  10:24 PM
Anyone noticed that on 'Google Earth' there is a MLP on 39A and another wating at the Gate to 39B. I
I'm pretty sure it's *leaving* 39B as it's empty.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline Dana

• Regular
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: 02/21/2007 09:17 PM »
You can see the other Crawler sitting in its parking space, too.

On a related note, check out Edwards AFB, CA. Both 747 SCAs are at Dryden there, one near the MDD, and the other near what I'm pretty sure is the main NASA-Dryden HQ building-in front of that is a white airplane on a pylon (a planekabob); that's the Bell X-1E. Further down the NASA ramp, you can see both NASA's now-retired NB-52B '008 and, parked next to it, its B-52H replacement; on the right wing of the silver NB-52B, you can make out the notch in the trailing edge that they cut to clear the X-15's tail. This photo must have been taken around the time of '008's retirement ceremony-right next to '008 appears to be either an X-15 mockup or possibly a Pegasus.

Further to the South, at the old South Base, in the very upper lefthand corner of the ramp, next to the parked cars, you can see a T-shaped pit closed off from the rest of the ramp. This is the X-1 loading pit. They towed the B-29 over the pit and winched the X-1 up into the bomb bay.

On a direct line about halfway between the South Base runway and Rosamond Dry Lake, you will see (if you overlay the road map) the corner joining Barnes Road and Willow Springs Road; zoom in just below that corner, and you will see a slightly-curving dirt road branching off to the south. Zoom in on the end of that dirt road as far as you can, and you should see a U-shaped building foundation with a vertical white thingy in the middle that looks like an elongated USAF insignia; next to these structures are the remains of other buildings and a round, dried-out swimming pool. I do believe that's all that's left of Pancho Barnes' place.
"Don't play dumb with me! You're not as good at it as I am!"-Col. Flagg

"'Second Place' is just the first loser."-Bobby Allison

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 473
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: 02/21/2007 09:24 PM »
Dana - 21/2/2007  11:17 PM

You can see the other Crawler sitting in its parking space, too.
Speaking of that, you can seeth the Orbiter Transporter System sticking out of it's home building at the Crawler maintenance site.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline spaceflight101

• Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Google Earth Pads 39A & 39B
« Reply #4 on: 02/21/2007 11:27 PM »
It all depends on when they took the photos.
If I Google my childhood home, you can clearly see my mother's truck sitting in the driveway...too bad she died two years ago!
Nothing like recent photography!

Offline Antares

• ABO^2
  • Done arguing with amateurs
  • Liked: 368
  • Likes Given: 226
Re: Google Earth Pads 39A & 39B
« Reply #5 on: 02/22/2007 04:51 AM »
And then, of course, the An-225
http://googlesightseeing.com/maps?p=899&c=&t=k&hl=en&ll=50.589108,30.205901&z=18

Maybe we need a space Google Earth thread/sticky.
If I like something on NSF, it's probably because I know it to be accurate.  Every once in a while, it's just something I agree with.  Facts generally receive the former.

Tags: