Author Topic: NASA extends rescue missions on manifest  (Read 6034 times)

Offline shuttlefan

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 4
Re: NASA extends rescue missions on manifest
« Reply #20 on: 07/14/2006 01:45 PM »
I think the hardest decision NASA would ever have to make is sending another shuttle and crew up without being able to fix the problem which caused the last one to be damaged. Out of this whole Launch On Need scenario, that point is what stands out in my mind the most.

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #21 on: 07/14/2006 07:29 PM »
shuttlefan - 14/7/2006  2:32 PM

I think the hardest decision NASA would ever have to make is sending another shuttle and crew up without being able to fix the problem which caused the last one to be damaged. Out of this whole Launch On Need scenario, that point is what stands out in my mind the most.

Well yes, but the only other option is the deaths of the seven in orbit. (in this no safe haven situation), so it is a must.

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 150
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #22 on: 07/14/2006 10:17 PM »
Chris Bergin - 14/7/2006  3:16 PM

shuttlefan - 14/7/2006  2:32 PM

Well yes, but the only other option is the deaths of the seven in orbit. (in this no safe haven situation), so it is a must.

and that is Not and Option.. If anything could do more damage to NASA, a call not to send a rescue mission would be it..

Offline shuttlefan

• Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #23 on: 07/16/2006 02:34 PM »
I agree 150% with both of your answers in response to my post.

Offline Naraht

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: NASA extends rescue missions on manifest
« Reply #24 on: 07/16/2006 03:49 PM »
Gemini VI and VII, of course, managed 11 days launch-to-launch. (It would have been only 8 days, but the Titan shut itself down on the first launch attempt.)

Obviously the situation is very different with the Shuttle, but that's still an impressive record.

Offline Carl G

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 211
  • Likes Given: 115
« Reply #25 on: 07/20/2006 03:06 PM »
Speaking of tanks, how is the tank doing for supporting STS-116?

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #26 on: 07/20/2006 05:12 PM »
Carl G - 20/7/2006  3:53 PM

Speaking of tanks, how is the tank doing for supporting STS-116?

ET-124 I believe is manifested for that flight and it's too far out to know. Should be heading to Cell A at MAF soon though.

Offline florin

« Reply #27 on: 07/27/2006 05:06 AM »
Hi there!

Have 2 Soyuz missions been considered?
I don't know if Soyuz can reach inclination of Hubble orbit while launched from Baikonur; maybe it would be good to consider launching a space shuttle repair mission for Hubble telescope after Soyuz can be launched from French Guyana (ESA spaceport).

One drawback would be that one Soyuz has 3 places available and thus with 2 Soyuzes you can bring back 4 people (assume you fly with one person up on each Soyuz and that the crew on space shuttle has 4 astronauts; would you need 7 astronauts for a Hubble repair mission?).

Thank you,
Florin

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 1034
  • Likes Given: 1926
« Reply #28 on: 07/27/2006 07:10 AM »
The bare minimum you could ever do a Hubble servicing mission with is six: 2x EVA teams of 2 and the Pilot & Commander. That would mean the Pilot would have to be the RMS operator, or one each of the EVA team members as RMS operator, on top of all the other work they do. Though ITS NEVER BEEN  DONE for that reason -- Hubble servicing missions have always had to have 7, so I doubt that would change. But theoretically six could be done.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline florin

« Reply #29 on: 07/27/2006 07:56 PM »
Why not doing one EVA team with 2 persons and pilot and commander?

Best regards,
Florin

Offline Sergi Manstov

• NSF Russian Editor
« Reply #30 on: 07/30/2006 05:28 AM »
There is a huge document, powerpoint, on L2 showing the plan for the Hubble Servicing Mission rescue. It is very surprising. I know Chris has a story coming to and has NASA people writing it as it is very complicated.

Offline Andy USA

• Lead Moderator
  • Administrator
  • Los Angeles, California
  • Liked: 127
  • Likes Given: 111
« Reply #31 on: 08/08/2006 02:52 AM »
Flight International did a pretty awful couple of paragraphs article that seems to copy some information from articles on this site and then claims LON flights will remain for all 17 missions to come.

Offline FatherRob

« Reply #32 on: 08/08/2006 12:07 PM »
florin - 27/7/2006  3:43 PM

Why not doing one EVA team with 2 persons and pilot and commander?

Best regards,
Florin

Florin,

Off the top of my head, I cannot recall how many spacewalks are planned for the final HSM (4 or 5?) but spacewalking for 6 or so hours is VERY tiring.  There is no way that you want the same pair of folks doing four or five spacewalks over the course of even a two week mission.  You need to split it up, thus the second spacewalking pair.  Three spacewalks in two weeks is about the most that you would see on a regular mission, and at that you'll note that -when possible- they avoid it (i.e., the discussions that were had about the third spacewalk on STS-121... ultimately it went ahead, but there were some questions, as I recall).

Rob+
Father Robert Lyons
Priest and Spaceflight Enthusiast
Central Indiana

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #33 on: 08/08/2006 12:09 PM »
Andy USA - 8/8/2006  3:39 AM

Flight International did a pretty awful couple of paragraphs article that seems to copy some information from articles on this site and then claims LON flights will remain for all 17 missions to come.

Which is incorrect. All regular ISS flights will (by mid 2007) have the next SCHEDULED mission assupporting LON, because the CSCS allows for the next scheduled launch to be changed to LON on the same timelines by then.

Tags: