Author Topic: New Space Shuttle Simulator!  (Read 6310 times)

Offline vt_hokie

• Hazlet, NJ
  • Liked: 92
  • Likes Given: 228
RE: New Space Shuttle Simulator!
« Reply #20 on: 01/03/2008 10:06 PM »
Looks really cool, but man, I just don't have the time anymore!  Heck, I still haven't gotten MS Flight Sim X, despite being tempted.  The last thing I need to do is spend more time playing on my computer, even if it is more fun than filling out grad school applications!   :laugh:

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 69
  • Likes Given: 28
Re: New Space Shuttle Simulator!
« Reply #21 on: 01/03/2008 10:42 PM »
rdale - 3/1/2008  9:23 AM

Thanks... Now that it's been out for a few - can anyone post a "full" review? I realize there are some minor timing issues, but overall if you're the type that likes to read on L2 would you enjoy the close following of flight plans on SSM? I've looked more into Orbiter and it appears just to simular the orbital process, not really a mission.

With a few add-ons, thanks to david413, you can do real missions (like STS-121, 116, 118, and he did start working on 122).  Now, after launching, I'm not sure what to do, as I've not really looked at the game TOO hard [I just like launching, doing one or two orbits, and DeOrbit and landing], but will start looking into it.

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 248
« Reply #22 on: 01/03/2008 11:00 PM »
As far as I know, you just launch and dock and land... Not really much button pressing. But if there's more, let me know!

Offline kimmern123

• Veteran
  • Norway
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #23 on: 01/04/2008 12:03 AM »
There's not much button pressing in Orbiter. What I like about SSM2007 is that it shows you what happens on a shuttle mission and lets you do the exact same things as the astronauts did in very realistic ways. You also learn a lot about the shuttle and what the function of each system is and what they are used for. I particularly like the way the RMS is used and how that entire system works. The sim has its share of problems but all in all the guys have done a terrific job.

Offline Ford Mustang

• Live Coverage Editor
  • Global Moderator
  • Virginia
    • Astro95Media
  • Liked: 69
« Reply #24 on: 01/04/2008 12:44 AM »
rdale - 3/1/2008  7:00 PM

As far as I know, you just launch and dock and land... Not really much button pressing. But if there's more, let me know!

No, there is not a lot of button pressing.  It does take coordination AFTER you get docked to the ISS to be able to grapple your payload, and put it where needed on the ISS.  Did you really expect something with a lot of button pressing to be free...?   :bleh:

Even if SSM2007 had a demo, I'd play that over Orbiter.  Hell, at least ONE mission!  :)

Tags: