Author Topic: Ron Howard presents "In the Shadow of the Moon" Apollo documentary  (Read 42539 times)

Offline CessnaDriver

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 2

Offline Orbiter Obvious

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Looks good. Notice the forum there is already owned by NASASpaceflight forum members :)

Offline RHAnthony

• I'm in yer planetz, talkin 2 ur roverz
  • Liked: 1
Wow.  I seriously can NOT wait for this.

Offline SpaceNutz SA

• Veteran
  • Durban - South Africa
When is it due for release/broadcast?
"Lets not make things worse by guessing" - Gene Kranz - Apollo 13 Flight Director

Offline CessnaDriver

• Likes Given: 2
It says in theaters Sept. 7th.

No idea how wide a release it will be.

Offline Dana

• Regular
  • Liked: 4
I am only hearing limited-release. I hope not, because that means small towners like me won't get to see it on the big screen.

I'd rather see this kind of feel-good documentary than the Michael Moore-popularized "feel-bad documentary" that is currently "popular."
"Don't play dumb with me! You're not as good at it as I am!"-Col. Flagg

"'Second Place' is just the first loser."-Bobby Allison

Offline RHAnthony

• I'm in yer planetz, talkin 2 ur roverz
  • Liked: 1
Okay.  

So I watched this again.  And when I do I just feel like jumping out of my chair and yelling @#$% YEAH! when I hear the line "and then it hit me on an emotional level ... we're going to the moon."  Something just hits me there and makes me so damn proud of what was accomplished, and what those guys did, all of them.  Some of YOU guys on here.  Seriously proud of it.  I get really overwhelmed with pride too when I see historical set films or documentaries on the vietnam war, but I think thats cause my father being there for 3 tours really gives me a link to it, and knowing the things he went through, makes me all the more impressed, and proud of ANYONE who's served in the armed forces in times of conflict.  I can only imagine the things you had to go through in your mind to get to the moon and back safely, one step at a time.

Anyway, now I'm rambling.

To anyone here who has served to preserve the freedom and culture of their nation, and others in need of assistance... thank you.
To anyone here who was, is, or will be, part of human space exploration, and the future of the human species... thank you.

Offline zappy

I saw this movie this summer at a film festival.  It's absolutely brilliant.  All of the footage has been cleaned up beautifully, the interviews are all new and a lot of fun - Alan Bean in particular is hilarious.  I'm awful pleased that it's seeing theatrical release - I'll definitely see it in the theater again.

Offline dwmzmm

• Extreme Veteran
  • Far West Houston, TX
    • Challenger 498 NAR Section
  • Liked: 5
Can you all get that website?  Even though I've saved it back when it first came out, I now get an error page when I tried to bring it
up....
Dave, NAR # 21853 SR.

Offline texas_space

• Extreme Veteran
  • Ex Terra, Scientia
  • Dallas/Fort Worth Metroplex, USA
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 8
"We went to the moon nine times. Why fake it nine times, if we faked it?" - Charlie Duke

Offline dwmzmm

• Extreme Veteran
  • Far West Houston, TX
    • Challenger 498 NAR Section
texas_space - 29/8/2007  9:27 PM

Try this URL instead:
http://www.intheshadowofthemoon.com/

Ok, that one worked.  Thanks!
Dave, NAR # 21853 SR.

Offline tankmodeler

• Regular
  • Brampton, ON, Canada
  • Liked: 8
Yeah, I gotta see this one and I don't care what my kids say, I'm draggin' their butts to it as well. Hell, I'll even volunteer to chaperone the neighbourhood kids to go to it.

NASA PAO should be spending money to make this a freebie for anyone that wants to see it. No matter what that cost, it would be the best money thay have spent in years.

Excitement, flame, danger, adventure, discovery, people, machines, grandeur and the face of the unknown.

What more could anyone ask for to sell the space program?

That's what I saw when I was a kid and, by God, that's what people today should see. It inspired the crap out of me and still gives me goosebumps and every other soul on Earth can be touched by it as well.

I don't care who you are or how long the feeling lasts when it's over, but I defy anyone to watch those images and not be moved.

Paul
Sr. Mech. Engineer
MDA

Offline rsp1202

• Elite Veteran
  • 3, 2, 1 . . . Make rocket go now
Absolutely friggin' agree.

Offline nathan.moeller

• Astro95 Media
  • Global Moderator
  • Houston, TX
    • Astro95 Media
zappy - 29/8/2007  8:34 PM

All of the footage has been cleaned up beautifully

Could some of this possibly be the 'missing' Apollo 11 footage? ;)
www.astro95media.com - Lead Video & Graphics

Offline gladiator1332

• Fort Myers, FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 6
It looks like it is going to be a very powerful movie, and something I will go see! Ron Howard does some really great work, and it should be an amazing movie.

Anyone want to start taking bets on whether Fox will re-air the "Moon Hoax" documentary?

Offline cpcjr

• Liked: 2
tankmodeler - 31/8/2007  11:28 AM
That's what I saw when I was a kid and, by God, that's what people today should see. It inspired the crap out of me and still gives me goosebumps and every other soul on Earth can be touched by it as well.

Same here I remember all of the moon landings. Sad that short sightedness has robed my generation of the dreams those flights inspired.

I don't care who you are or how long the feeling lasts when it's over, but I defy anyone to watch those images and not be moved.

Talk about invoking feelings. I remember looking up at the moon during Apollo 15 or16 and the feeling of realizing that there men up there looking back. I was looking at another world inhabited (however briefly) by men. Unfortunately all the pictures in the Universe can not recreate that one.

Offline tankmodeler

• Regular
  • Brampton, ON, Canada
  • Liked: 8
cpcjr - 31/8/2007  1:39 PM
Talk about invoking feelings. I remember looking up at the moon during Apollo 15 or16 and the feeling of realizing that there men up there looking back. I was looking at another world inhabited (however briefly) by men. Unfortunately all the pictures in the Universe can not recreate that one.

I did exactly the same thing on each of the flights. I remember, at just 10 years old, laying in bed after seeing Neil walk on the moon that night and just staring and staring into the night sky. I was going to do cool stuff like that one day, darned if I wasn't.

And today, I do.
Sr. Mech. Engineer
MDA

Offline SpaceNutz SA

• Veteran
  • Durban - South Africa
Why the limited release on this????

Just watched the trailer - I HAVE TO SEE THIS!!  But probably not much chance down here in Africa.  Will have to wait for the DVD release :(

"Lets not make things worse by guessing" - Gene Kranz - Apollo 13 Flight Director

Offline meiza

• Expert
  • Where Be Dragons
  • Likes Given: 3
Would love to see it in a theater over on this side of the Atlantic...

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8560
  • Likes Given: 320
SpaceNutz SA - 6/9/2007  9:04 PM

Why the limited release on this????

Just watched the trailer - I HAVE TO SEE THIS!!  But probably not much chance down here in Africa.  Will have to wait for the DVD release :(

From a NASA news release:

"Discovery Channel will air the world television premiere of
the film "In the Shadow of the Moon," in the summer of 2008".
Jacques :-)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography