Author Topic: General ISS Q&A thread  (Read 879636 times)

Offline Darren_Hensley

• System Software Engineer, MCTP, NGC, Ft Leavenworth Ks
  • Captian(ret) USS Pabilli, Timefleet, UFP-TIC
  • Alamogordo NM
    • H-10-K Enterprises
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 20
Re: General ISS Q&A thread
« Reply #2240 on: 01/21/2017 05:24 pm »
It seems to me that whenever I see pictures or video in the station there is almost always (at least to my somewhat borderline OCD eyes) a high level of clutter on nearly every surface. Is all that stuff in active, regular use? Or does it accumulate and and gets addressed/put away/circle filed when the astros have time? Is there a protocol for managing all that stuff?

I have not found any real protocol for this. It bothers the hell out of me as well.
I'm developing a protocol for the H-10-K GWS house keeping crew to perform routine "return to storage" tasks but nothing is cast in stone so far. The difficulty seems to be getting the time built into the task or experiment to perform end of shift cleanup tasks much like what is done in the ground facilities. CTK Tool and parts accountability is vital for FOD prevention.

It looks like they clean up only when things seem to get out of hand, or when flight directs them to do so.

There is a protocol.  There is no desks or workbenches in a one g orientation and so items have to place on the racks.  What would a workbench would look like if you placed it against a wall?
For H-10-K GWS, nearly all the work is done in zero-G, but some work is done in the HAB ring, Cooking on a stove, eating on a table, playing games while seated in a chair, weight lifting.

Some of this stuff should have items not needed after use, and it all should be put away, Thus a Protocol(procedure) is needed to keep common areas clean, neat, and tidy.
On GWS, yes there are horizontal work surfaces, on ISS when the treadmill was undergoing repairs,a vice was used, a file created filings, and a vacuum was used to contain floaties. The worker use goggles and a mask. On GWS in 1-AG, you still need to clean up the floor, Tables, drawer liners, and surrounding area for FOD. Yes Yes special containers and precautions are taken in 1-AG, to prevent fly a ways in the event of AG loss.

Our concern is that if you stick everything you use on the outside of a ISPR(rack) surface, why bother having the storage drawers and coveys these things belong in.

As for parts that have been replaced, and future use may be needed, just store it when the task is done, get it out of the path of traffic. Trash has a designated collection point, put it there.

No, surfaces of all ISPRs, will not be totally clean, but the less clutter, the more well organized the entire area will be, the easier the traffic will flow through the area. Less opportunity to damage the items, and less opportunity to inflict harm on your own body.

So Jim, if there is a protocol, is it in writing? Where would we find this?
BSNCM Devry, MAITM Webster, MSSS & MSAP SFA
H-10-K Enterprises Gateway Station

Offline Toast

« Reply #2241 on: 01/27/2017 09:27 pm »
Looking around, I couldn't find an answer to this elsewhere. Since the RD-0110 engine (used on the crewed variants of Soyuz) is made at the Voronezh Mechanical Plant which was recently implicated in the cause of the recent Progress launch failure, are we expecting crewed Soyuz flights to be impacted? If so, as there is not an alternative crew vehicle currently available, could this prevent us from continuing to crew the ISS?

Offline Nicolas PILLET

• Gien, France
    • Kosmonavtika
  • Liked: 670
  • Likes Given: 134
« Reply #2242 on: 08/26/2017 11:59 am »
Has the Orbital Replacement Unit Transfer Device (OTD), brought by STS-96, ever been used ?
Nicolas PILLET
Kosmonavtika : The French site on Russian Space

Offline IanH84

• Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #2243 on: 09/06/2017 07:52 pm »
HDEV seems to have been on the switching cameras/loss of signal screen for the past week, is there something wrong with it?

Offline SWGlassPit

• I break space hardware
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #2244 on: 09/07/2017 02:46 pm »
HDEV seems to have been on the switching cameras/loss of signal screen for the past week, is there something wrong with it?

I'm pretty sure the HDEV feed is processed in Bldg 8 at JSC, which is one of the buildings that sustained hurricane damage.

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #2245 on: 11/16/2017 12:28 pm »
Can anyone point me to or does anyone have an annotated picture/diagram with the various Mobile Transporter worksites along the truss marked out?  I've recently realized that although I read the ISS status notes regularly, and they routinely mention the MT moving from WS# to WS#, I don't really have any feel for where the worksites are along the truss.  I know there aren't that many of them, but when reading about WS# I can't picture in my mind approximately where along the truss that translates to.  I've searched via google, eoportal, spaceref, etc.  Can't seem to find anywhere with it delineated.  Any help much appreciated.
« Last Edit: 11/16/2017 12:30 pm by deruch »
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Online gwiz

• Cornwall
  • Liked: 143
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #2246 on: 11/16/2017 01:10 pm »
Think WS1 most starboard to WS10 most port, but could be wrong.

Offline SWGlassPit

• I break space hardware
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #2247 on: 11/16/2017 04:03 pm »
I may be referencing old documentation, but what I have cites WS1-8 going starboard to port on the inboard trusses (S3 to P3), with WS9 and WS10 on the since-deleted outboard truss rails at S6 and P6 respectively.

In this image: , you can see the locations of the worksites by looking for a pair of small boxes just nadir of the lower MT rail. 

For reference:
WS1 is somewhat hidden in shadow, just above the ELC4 pallet on the left side of the image.
WS2 is near the shadow terminator, forward of the HRS radiator.
WS3 is visible just above and to the left of the airlock.
WS4 is just above the left side of the lab.
WS5 appears to be where the MT is parked.
WS6 is hidden behind the MT just to the right of its center.
WS7 is in front of the radiator on the right side of the image.
WS8 is just above and to the left of the ELC1 pallet at the far right.

Offline Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 1481
  • Likes Given: 455

Offline jeng_eo

• Earth
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #2249 on: 11/30/2017 07:43 am »
Can someone identify this retractable rotating structure for me?

It looks like it's located on the S1-Segment and I think it's neither a Radiator, Logistics-Palett (ESP or ELC) nor a Mobile Base System...my internet research has not been very fruitful so far.

The images are screenshots from the ustream livestream
(http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/110154721 @ 01:06:52, 29Nov2017 ~ 1300 UTC)

Thanks a lot!

EDIT:
It looks like it is the rear side of a "Radiator beam".
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/ab/HRS.png/800px-HRS.png
I got irritated because it rotated way faster than the solar arrays in the background.
« Last Edit: 11/30/2017 03:30 pm by jeng_eo »

Offline deruch

• California
« Reply #2250 on: 12/01/2017 04:58 pm »
It's the radiator from the Heat Rejection System.

EDIT: Ah, I see now that you edited your own post with this info already. 
« Last Edit: 12/01/2017 05:23 pm by deruch »

Offline deruch

• California
« Reply #2251 on: 12/01/2017 05:22 pm »
In the recent NAC HEO presentation on ISS, they had an FPIP chart (attaching a blow up).  I was under the impression that the ISS didn't do visiting vehicle ops during high solar beta angle periods.  But this shows that, while a high beta period is beginning on Dec. 17 and lasting to Dec. 27, there is a Soyuz crew rotation planned to launch on the 17th (apparently using the 2-day rendezvous plan) which arrives on Dec. 19th.  Is the beta angle not a problem because Soyuz is docking and doesn't need use of Station robotics?  Or is that limitation just for VVs on the US side of the station for some reason?   

edit: oops, forgot attachment.  fixed.
« Last Edit: 12/04/2017 06:10 pm by deruch »

Offline Olaf

• Germany
« Reply #2252 on: 12/21/2017 02:51 pm »

Offline Kyra's kosmos

• Spacecraft "Vostok" Control and Instrument Panel Site
  • Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 117
« Reply #2253 on: 12/27/2017 12:25 am »
I recently learned that the new laptops or SSC (Station Support Computers) onboard the ISS are going to be HP ZBook 15's G2 and all the Thinkpad T61p's and A31p'sare going to be phased out. (Sorry for the misused apostrophe here just wanted to express the correct model number)
https://www.businessdirect.bt.com/blog/nasa-sends-hp-zbook-workstations-to-the-international-space-station-4349

Supposedly they will all be loaded with Windows 10 (Enterprise Edition?) or Debian Linux.

The question: What are the exact model specs and software manifest? What configuration and setting's changes are made?

The goal here is to of course make my next laptop as close as possible hardware and software wise - obviously, NASA seems to strip away all the frivolous settings, applications and processes on the flown versions and its nothing like what a typical user experience out of the box. Thankfully, I will not need to fabricate a green brick power supply.  The 'trackpoint" tips have been replaced with Lenovo ones from pictures I have seen as the standard one sits too far below the key height.

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #2254 on: 12/27/2017 02:45 pm »
I recently learned that the new laptops or SSC (Station Support Computers) onboard the ISS are going to be HP ZBook 15's G2 and all the Thinkpad T61p's and A31p'sare going to be phased out. (Sorry for the misused apostrophe here just wanted to express the correct model number)
https://www.businessdirect.bt.com/blog/nasa-sends-hp-zbook-workstations-to-the-international-space-station-4349

Supposedly they will all be loaded with Windows 10 (Enterprise Edition?) or Debian Linux.

The question: What are the exact model specs and software manifest? What configuration and setting's changes are made?

The goal here is to of course make my next laptop as close as possible hardware and software wise - obviously, NASA seems to strip away all the frivolous settings, applications and processes on the flown versions and its nothing like what a typical user experience out of the box. Thankfully, I will not need to fabricate a green brick power supply.  The 'trackpoint" tips have been replaced with Lenovo ones from pictures I have seen as the standard one sits too far below the key height.

Don't bother -- the version of Solitaire that comes with Windows 10 is rubbish, plus MS wants you to pay them to use it... :D
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline deruch

• California
« Reply #2255 on: 05/24/2018 12:54 pm »
Is there an explicit reason why the ISS Program chooses to essentially always use the same berths for both Cygnus and Dragon?  I know that only the 2 nadir ports are available for cargo vehicles, but Cygnus seems to always get berthed on N1-Nadir.  And Dragon on N2-Nadir.  I know they can be berthed on either, and I seem to recall Dragon being on Node 1 at least one trip.  But ever since the ISS reconfiguration to move the PMM, I think only once or twice have either of the vehicles been berthed to the "unusual" node.

As a guess, maybe it has to do with access to the unpressurized cargo that rides up in Dragon's trunk?  So, if there is a benefit to being on N2 instead of N1 for that purpose, it might also make sense to always berth Cygnus on N1 just so that the wear & tear gets more evenly spread over both CBMs. 

Offline smfarmer11

• Blacksburg
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 57
« Reply #2256 on: 08/22/2018 02:37 pm »
Does somebody know how much velocity the ISS loses per year due to drag?

Offline whitelancer64

« Reply #2257 on: 08/22/2018 03:26 pm »
Does somebody know how much velocity the ISS loses per year due to drag?

It's roughly 15 m/s per year, but this varies quite a bit depending on a multitude of factors, primarily the level of solar activity and its corresponding influence on the density of the upper atmosphere. Reboosts typically add 1-2 m/s in velocity and a couple of kilometers in altitude, and they are performed several times per year.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline Olaf

• Germany
« Reply #2258 on: 09/27/2018 07:35 am »
https://twitter.com/SpcPlcyOnline/status/1045030412467281920
Cruz - you agree would be completely unacceptable if China only country with space station in LEO?
Bridenstine - yes.
Cruz - technically possible to keep ISS till 2030?
Bridenstine - yes, perhaps longer, but need to assess cost, risk.

https://twitter.com/jeff_foust/status/1045028808544448512
Cruz: concerned about Chinese space station in 2022, if ISS deorbited in 2024?

Bridenstine: no plan to deorbit ISS in 2024. Focus is on commercialization, though.

Offline Olaf

• Germany

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography