Author Topic: Avio announces Vega-Light R&D project  (Read 943 times)

Offline ringsider

• Liked: 155
  • Likes Given: 25
Avio announces Vega-Light R&D project
« on: 06/28/2017 08:09 AM »
After Vega E there will be Vega Light, which is currently in the research and development stage. CEO Giulio Ranzo said that the aim is to have a "mini-launcher for satellites weighing 300-350 kilograms. It could be a possible development to meet market demand."

http://www.ansa.it/english/news/science_tecnology/2017/06/21/future-vega-launcher-models-showcased_ef2693b8-6752-4b91-bd03-c56461ccc07c.html

Pic from Paris Air Show:-

I don't know if that is cost-effective or not. Vega hasn't exactly been cheap.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 128
  • Likes Given: 30
Re: Avio announces Vega-Light R&D project
« Reply #1 on: 06/29/2017 08:20 PM »
Sorry I don't see the point of having a dedicated topic for Vega L(ight). As the article states it's not planned before 2024. I think the ESA - Vega Update topic is fine for this. I fear this will turn into a dead topic very fast.

Ringsider; you yourself posted the slide showing Mini-vega in the Sparrow topic. You posted the same question there.
I've posted about Vega L in the Sparrow topic and in the Vega Update topic. Let's continue the discussion in the Vega Update topic. Or lets start a Vega Discussion topic in the ESA section.

Edit: this won't really be a commercial launcher, because ESA will pay for the VUS development.
Vega L will be as commercial as the AOTK Minotour rockets.
« Last Edit: 06/29/2017 08:22 PM by Rik ISS-fan »

Online TrevorMonty

Re: Avio announces Vega-Light R&D project
« Reply #2 on: 06/30/2017 12:26 AM »
By 2024 the current batch of companies developing smallsat LV would've been flying for years and most likely moved onto RLVs.

Tags: