Author Topic: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 5  (Read 338552 times)

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
Re: SpaceX Texas launch site Discussion and Updates - Thread 5
« Reply #500 on: 09/18/2017 06:24 pm »
SpaceX ∪ "official name" = ∅
Tiny nit pick: make that symbol the other way around. That is a set union there ;) total agree with the intention though. SpaceX is notoriously bad at naming things.

Wrong.

Of Course I Still Love You
Just Read The Instructions
Falcon
Merlin
Raptor
Dragon
Heart of Gold
« Last Edit: 09/18/2017 06:28 pm by AncientU »
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8746
« Reply #501 on: 09/18/2017 07:37 pm »
If they then decide that they can build the big rocket a little larger in diameter, would that make it the "BITSy"?
« Last Edit: 09/20/2017 04:25 am by darkenfast »
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
« Reply #502 on: 09/22/2017 03:33 am »
SpaceX ∪ "official name" = ∅
Tiny nit pick: make that symbol the other way around. That is a set union there ;) total agree with the intention though. SpaceX is notoriously bad at naming things.

Wrong.

Of Course I Still Love You
Just Read The Instructions
Falcon
Merlin
Raptor
Dragon
Heart of Gold
I know, right?  They used to be so much better and then sort of went off the rails starting with F9R-dev1 instead of staying with the excellent Grasshopper2.  But we digress. 
« Last Edit: 09/22/2017 03:34 am by deruch »
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Dave G

• Liked: 2127
  • Likes Given: 2021
« Reply #503 on: 09/23/2017 02:04 pm »
$400 million Port of Brownsville shipbuilding contract finalized
https://riograndeguardian.com/400-million-port-of-brownsville-shipbuilding-contract-finalized/
Eduardo A. Campirano, port director and CEO of the Port of Brownsville ... also gave an update about a natural gas pipeline coming into the Rio Grande Valley, liquefied natural gas terminals at the port, and SpaceX ...

Editor’s Note: This is the first in a two-part series based upon the Rio Grande Guardian’s interview with Eduardo Campirano. Part Two will be published in our next edition.

I've always suspected SpaceX would somehow take advantage of Brownsville's seaport.  Looks like we'll have to wait until the next edition of the Rio Grande Guardian to find out.

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60431
  • Likes Given: 1305
« Reply #504 on: 09/23/2017 02:29 pm »
 I thought that pipeline was kind of big for one LNG plant. It turns out one of it's main purposes is for greatly increased gas exports to Mexico in addition to other things. Even some environmentalists, who aren't the
"I'm afraid gas will get in my drinking water" types, like the fact that that every BTU made with gas is half the CO2 as the coal it replaces.
 I see a lot of those pipeline sections going down the road to the south side of the channel now.
 It would be a pretty short run to the launch site. If they include a separator to get the ethane and nitrogen and whatever in the gas down to SpaceX requirements, it will be a little bit of a hint.
« Last Edit: 09/23/2017 02:33 pm by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline SPITexas

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 8

Offline Dave G

« Reply #506 on: 09/24/2017 12:11 pm »
http://riograndeguardian.com/campirano-elon-musk-may-have-bigger-plans-for-boca-chica/

PART 2

From the article:
Campirano also briefly spoke about Valley Crossing Pipeline, which will transport clean burning natural gas to the CFE—Mexico’s state-owned utility. The pipeline comes south in the Valley and then goes offshore before reaching Mexico.

Offline SPITexas

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 8
« Last Edit: 09/25/2017 01:11 am by SPITexas »

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
« Reply #508 on: 09/25/2017 02:18 am »
http://us.blastingnews.com/news/2017/09/will-the-first-person-to-go-to-mars-leave-from-texas-002035959.html

Given the hints.  If true this article blasted me away. Lol.
I was just talking to Terry Heaton about the difficulty of ever finding another place this isolated and beautiful if we wind up getting evicted so the Methane Monster can launch. Maybe there's a possible solution here that would solve everybody's problem at once.
« Last Edit: 09/25/2017 03:28 am by Nomadd »
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline Dave G

« Reply #509 on: 09/25/2017 12:07 pm »
According to the Cameron County Real Estate Database, SpaceX picked up 3 more lots near the Control Center Area.  I also marked the location of the Crane.

Offline meberbs

• Liked: 3379
  • Likes Given: 777
« Reply #510 on: 09/26/2017 08:23 pm »
http://us.blastingnews.com/news/2017/09/will-the-first-person-to-go-to-mars-leave-from-texas-002035959.html

I was just talking to Terry Heaton about the difficulty of ever finding another place this isolated and beautiful if we wind up getting evicted so the Methane Monster can launch. Maybe there's a possible solution here that would solve everybody's problem at once.
Are you saying that you'd be willing to barter your house for a ticket?  :P

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
« Reply #511 on: 09/27/2017 12:56 am »

Are you saying that you'd be willing to barter your house for a ticket?  :P
I'd also want 100 grand equivalent in the new Martian currency.

Offline darkenfast

• Liked: 1829
  • Likes Given: 8746
« Reply #512 on: 09/29/2017 08:55 am »
Well, Nomadd, although Musk did not mention today just where the new BFR is going to launch from, I think your neighborhood is going to be VERY interesting in the next few years!
Writer of Book and Lyrics for musicals "SCAR", "Cinderella!", and "Aladdin!". Retired Naval Security Group. "I think SCAR is a winner. Great score, [and] the writing is up there with the very best!"
-- Phil Henderson, Composer of the West End musical "The Far Pavilions".

Offline wardy89

• UK
  • Liked: 80
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #513 on: 09/29/2017 03:20 pm »
So in Elons talk today he said that they want to make the current falcon series of vehicles redundant with the new rocket, and he his talking about starting to fly these in the early to mid 2020's.

Its going to very interesting to watch the progress of this pad when they start to actually build it and wether it has been designed in such a way that they will be able to easily convert it without too much work to the new vehicle when it starts to fly

Offline jpo234

• Liked: 2280
  • Likes Given: 2184
« Reply #514 on: 09/29/2017 03:34 pm »
So in Elons talk today he said that they want to make the current falcon series of vehicles redundant with the new rocket, and he his talking about starting to fly these in the early to mid 2020's.

Its going to very interesting to watch the progress of this pad when they start to actually build it and wether it has been designed in such a way that they will be able to easily convert it without too much work to the new vehicle when it starts to fly

Why "convert"? Assuming Elon's time line holds (big if, I know), then they need a pad for test flights around 2020/21. If they start building in Boca Chica next year, the pad could be ready in 2019 at which point they would have to start the conversion. If Boca Chica becomes the BFR pad, than right from the start.
« Last Edit: 09/29/2017 03:43 pm by jpo234 »
You want to be inspired by things. You want to wake up in the morning and think the future is going to be great. That's what being a spacefaring civilization is all about. It's about believing in the future and believing the future will be better than the past. And I can't think of anything more exciting than being out there among the stars.

Offline wardy89

• UK
  • Liked: 80
  • Likes Given: 102
« Reply #515 on: 09/29/2017 04:03 pm »
Why "convert"? Assuming Elon's time line holds (big if, I know), then they need a pad for test flights around 2020/21. If they start building in Boca Chica next year, the pad could be ready in 2019 at which point they would have to start the conversion. If Boca Chica becomes the BFR pad, than right from the start.

That is a very good point, building Boca Chica as a  dedicated BFR pad would enable them to conduct a test program away from there current commercial pads mitigating potential risks and major delays to their commercial falcon 9 launch schedule while they test the new system.

Offline John Alan

• Central IL - USA - Earth
    • Home of the ThreadRipper Cadillac
  • Liked: 721
  • Likes Given: 2735
« Reply #516 on: 09/29/2017 05:20 pm »
More then ever... I'm convinced Texas will be BFR only as built...  :o

Would I bet money... not yet... but I am getting much closer to that point...  ;)
« Last Edit: 09/29/2017 05:20 pm by John Alan »

Offline jfallen

• Liked: 62
  • Likes Given: 105
« Reply #517 on: 09/29/2017 05:30 pm »
It looked like the plan was for a sea launch from platforms.  If the global transport idea is the focus, I imagine that will be moveable.  They might park it off Boca Chica for initial testing, but then tow it to Houston which is probably a realistic market for global travel.   Based on my interpretation of the videos I doubt they would waste time converting a pad if the goal is to launch from and return to sea platforms.    I still think Boca will be need for the 2019-2026ish transition as they try to phase out the old hardware. 

Offline biosehnsucht

• Liked: 124
  • Likes Given: 319
« Reply #518 on: 09/29/2017 06:33 pm »
Brownsville area may get BFR manufacturing too, if it's going to be dedicated to launching it. Easy to barge to anywhere else.

As for sea launch platforms - I think these are not needed for early low flight rates, but to increase flight rates and bring launch sites near to population centers where they would not normally be found (i.e. you won't need them along the Space Coast for example, but if you want to launch near New York City, there's not really any coast to put it on...)

Offline JBF

• Liked: 472
  • Likes Given: 914
« Reply #519 on: 09/29/2017 06:57 pm »
Brownsville area may get BFR manufacturing too, if it's going to be dedicated to launching it. Easy to barge to anywhere else.

As for sea launch platforms - I think these are not needed for early low flight rates, but to increase flight rates and bring launch sites near to population centers where they would not normally be found (i.e. you won't need them along the Space Coast for example, but if you want to launch near New York City, there's not really any coast to put it on...)

According to the presentation they have started ordering tooling. There have not even been whispers of them buying large buildings or industrial land around Brownsville so at least the first several ones will probably be built at the current factory.
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but that’s the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography