Author Topic: 30 years since the first launch of Energia rocket - May 17  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Svetoslav

• Veteran
  • Bulgaria
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 42
Roscomos reminded us that today is 30yrs since Energia launched for a first time, with the Polyus experimental satellite.

https://www.roscosmos.ru/23513/
« Last Edit: 05/15/2017 11:31 AM by Chris Bergin »

Online Galactic Penguin SST

The Soviets very nearly created the first recoverable/reusable liquid propelled rocket 1st stage with Energia, 30 years earlier than that other rocket. Alas they never had the chance to add parachutes/horizontal landing legs to the "bumps" of the boosters.....
Chinese spaceflight is a cosmic riddle wrapped in a galactic mystery inside an orbital enigma... - (not) Winston Churchill

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2424
  • Likes Given: 1
You can read about that here:

http://www.airspacemag.com/space/soviet-star-wars-8758185/?c=y&page=1

Soviet Star Wars
The launch that saved the world from orbiting laser battle stations.

By Dwayne A. Day And Robert G. Kennedy III
Air & Space Magazine, January 01, 2010

It sounds like something from a James Bond movie: a massive satellite, the largest ever launched, equipped with a powerful laser to take out the American anti-missile shield in advance of a Soviet first strike. It was real, though—or at least the plan was. In fact, when Soviet President Mikhail Gorbachev walked out of the October 1986 summit in Reykjavik, Iceland, because President Ronald Reagan wouldn't abandon his Strategic Defense Initiative, or SDI, the Soviets were closer to fielding a space-based weapon than the United States was. Less than a year later, as the world continued to criticize Reagan for his "Star Wars" concept, the Soviet Union launched a test satellite for its own space-based laser system, which failed to reach orbit. Had it succeeded, the cold war might have taken a different turn.

The spacecraft was known as Polyus-Skif. "Polyus" is Russian for "pole," as in the north pole. "Skif" referred to the Scythians, an ancient tribe of warriors in central Asia—and the European equivalent of "barbarian."

Online Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2296
  • Likes Given: 1670
Nice article/read.

Brings to mind that they were paranoid of being "the rabbit in the hole". And with X-37B, probably still are ...

Offline WallE

• Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 0
Happy 60th, R-7.

Offline Alter Sachse

• Germany (near Heidelberg)
  • Liked: 66
  • Likes Given: 104
Happy 60th, R-7.
I do not understand the connection with the Energia rocket ??

Offline WallE

• Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 0
I do not understand the connection with the Energia rocket ??

I didn't want to clutter the board with an unnecessary new thread just for that.
« Last Edit: 05/17/2017 12:45 AM by WallE »

Offline Skylab

• Liked: 39
  • Likes Given: 39
I've asked this question a few times, but perhaps someone can tell me what part of the rocket the metal for this coin came from? I have deciphered the Russian, but not the provenance. Obviously the side boosters would be the most logical source, but I would like to know for sure.
« Last Edit: 05/19/2017 09:20 AM by Skylab »

Offline smoliarm

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 200
  • Likes Given: 66
I've asked this question a few times, but perhaps someone can tell me what part of the rocket the metal for this coin came from? I have deciphered the Russian, but not the provenance. Obviously the side boosters would be the most logical source, but I would like to know for sure.

I have no direct information on the provenance, but I strongly suspect that this is a fake.
The reason is simple: It has spelling mistake - the word "МЕДАЛЬЙОН" - is incorrect.
The only correct spelling - "МЕДАЛЬОН"
So, I'm quite sure that IF this coin/medal was STATE-issued - there would be a simple Design Review - which would catch this mistake for sure. Therefore, I strongly suspect it's some kind of 'private initiative', and consequently there is no reason to hope it uses any kind of 'real rocket metal' or even 'flown to space hardware'.

In 90s - at ANY tourist place in Moscow - there there a lot of "street vendors" selling "real bolts and nuts" form Soyuz, Buran etc.
I saw them personally :)
« Last Edit: 05/19/2017 12:44 PM by smoliarm »

Offline Skylab

Re: 30 years since the first launch of Energia rocket - May 17
« Reply #10 on: 05/19/2017 01:16 PM »
I've asked this question a few times, but perhaps someone can tell me what part of the rocket the metal for this coin came from? [SNIP]

I have no direct information on the provenance, but I strongly suspect that this is a fake.
The reason is simple: It has spelling mistake - the word "МЕДАЛЬЙОН" - is incorrect.
The only correct spelling - "МЕДАЛЬОН"
[SNIP]
Good thing I only paid 1 euro then, instead of the 250 Ebay sellers ask for.
(Just googling: It could be the correct Ukrainian spelling.)
« Last Edit: 05/19/2017 01:33 PM by Skylab »

Offline smoliarm

• Moscow, Russia
« Reply #11 on: 05/19/2017 02:53 PM »
The whole thing is in Russian - trust me :)
There is no letter "Ы" in Ukrainian
and
The Russian phrase "Изготовлен из металла ракеты-носителя" in Ukrainian will be "Виготовлений з металу ракети-носія" - easy to tell.

One more mistake, which does not stand out like the first one, nevertheless:
In Russian they do not use quotes (« or ») with TOPONYM (geographical name for a place).
It's not a spelling mistake, more like official rule for official documents.
I just checked the real (official) medals/memorial plates/souvenirs - the ALL have КОСМОДРОМ БАЙКОНУР inscription - EXACTLY THIS WAY, with no quotation marks.

So, I'm positive that this is some kind "private enterprise" souvenir, and it has NO links to RKK Energia nor to metal of Buran.

And the last thing - it's pretty simple to make primary chem analyses of this kind of metal. And as a chemist I can easily tell apart regular industry alloy from a space article - just by major/minor element abundances.

Offline Skylab

« Reply #12 on: 05/19/2017 03:07 PM »
The whole thing is in Russian - trust me :)
There is no letter "Ы" in Ukrainian
Thanks a lot for the info! Now I just hope the Buran tile I bought from Molniya for very little IS real! (ESA experts said it was.)
« Last Edit: 05/19/2017 03:07 PM by Skylab »

Offline Liss

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 109
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #13 on: 07/24/2017 11:44 AM »
In Russian they do not use quotes (« or ») with TOPONYM (geographical name for a place).
In fact this rule is not strict and, unfortunately, tends to be ignored in official documents. You will find mentions of complex «Baikonur» in quotation marks much more often than without these, and of cosmodrome «Baikonur» or «Plesetsk» in half of cases. They seem to feel these equal to other named entities as RKK «Energia» which, to a general rule, require quotations.
This message reflects my personal opinion based on open sources of information.

Offline smoliarm

• Moscow, Russia
« Reply #14 on: 07/24/2017 06:10 PM »
In fact this rule is not strict and, unfortunately, tends to be ignored in official documents. You will find mentions of complex «Baikonur» in quotation marks much more often than without these, and of cosmodrome «Baikonur» or «Plesetsk» in half of cases. They seem to feel these equal to other named entities as RKK «Energia» which, to a general rule, require quotations.

You are right, this rule is not strict, and moreover - currently I'd say there is NO rule about quotation marks. They just do not follow rules, even in official papers.

However, all I said on this subject still is true - here we are talking about anniversary medals and pins (not papers), and about those medals/pins which were issued long ago, in 80s and 90s (not now).
The bottom-line - I never saw a pin with Baikonur in quotation marks. My friend has about 100 of them - he inherited a collection from his father who worked there for some 40 years.

Tags: