Author Topic: When will SpaceX begin launchpad modifications for ITS?  (Read 1300 times)

Offline Ludus

• Liked: 212
  • Likes Given: 92
When will SpaceX actually begin to build the infrastructure for ITS launches and what form will it take? Is it possible for them to continue to use 39(a) for F9 and FH and at the same time modify it to also accommodate ITS launches (and landings?).

Offline whitelancer64

I personally think that they will build a brand-new launch site for it. LC-39A would require a complete redesign and rebuild of the flame trench, launch tower, and much of the site's infrastructure - it's really not practical. If they did choose to go with LC-39A it would be out of commission for perhaps more than a year.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Offline philw1776

• Seacoast NH
  • Liked: 383
  • Likes Given: 210
Re: When will SpaceX begin launchpad modifications for ITS?
« Reply #2 on: 04/27/2017 09:15 PM »
I personally think that they will build a brand-new launch site for it. LC-39A would require a complete redesign and rebuild of the flame trench, launch tower, and much of the site's infrastructure - it's really not practical. If they did choose to go with LC-39A it would be out of commission for perhaps more than a year.

Yet Elon said ITS launches from 39A.
I'm skeptical too.
In fact if the real ITS built is approximately the size of the one revealed, I think they need their launch & land platform a couple miles offshore for noise & safety.  This of course makes rapid turn around much more difficult.
“When it looks more like an alien dreadnought, that’s when you know you’ve won.”

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 8666
  • Likes Given: 283
« Reply #3 on: 04/28/2017 04:04 AM »
When will SpaceX actually begin to build the infrastructure for ITS launches and what form will it take? Is it possible for them to continue to use 39(a) for F9 and FH and at the same time modify it to also accommodate ITS launches (and landings?).

At least a decade

Online Semmel

• Germany
  • Liked: 559
  • Likes Given: 1755
« Reply #4 on: 04/28/2017 05:45 AM »

At least a decade

Why so far into the future? If design converges within this year, a first test launch of the booster might be possible in 4 to 5 years. Launch pad preparations should start much earlier.

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 1459
  • Likes Given: 1177
« Reply #5 on: 04/28/2017 05:58 AM »
I still expect they build a new launchpad, but on LC-39A. That way they would be completely independent of launch operations except stopping work for a launch or static fire.

Offline Jim

• Night Gator
  • Cape Canaveral Spaceport
  • Liked: 8666
  • Likes Given: 283
« Reply #6 on: 04/28/2017 12:20 PM »

Why so far into the future? If design converges within this year, a first test launch of the booster might be possible in 4 to 5 years. Launch pad preparations should start much earlier.

with what money?

Offline Phil Stooke

• Canada
  • Liked: 174
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #7 on: 04/28/2017 12:51 PM »
"Why so far into the future? "

They won't want another Spaceport America.

Online envy887

• Liked: 746
  • Likes Given: 438
« Reply #8 on: 04/28/2017 02:39 PM »
I still expect they build a new launchpad, but on LC-39A. That way they would be completely independent of launch operations except stopping work for a launch or static fire.

Where?

Even if they do, I'd entirely expect them to wait until Boca Chica is up and running. 40 has to be finished first, then 39a conversion to FH and crew, then Boca Chica, then ITS.

So we might see some pad work no earlier than 2019.

Tags: