Author Topic: BBC4 Programme, April 11, 2017: Should we go to Mars?  (Read 1349 times)

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 2596
  • Likes Given: 865
Should We Go to Mars?
The Big Think, Series 1 Episode 1 of 2

The attempt to send and land astronauts on Mars risks billions of dollars and the lives of those brave enough to attempt it. Is the possible benefit really worth the risk? And is it really achievable?

Guiding us through this ethical and scientific minefield is Dr Kevin Fong. Kevin's diverse background in astrophysics, aeronautics and medicine makes him uniquely placed to understand the technical and human challenges of this perilous journey. With the help of the BBC's rich archive and a cast of supporting experts, Kevin leads us through the journey to Mars stage by stage.

For Kevin, not only is this the toughest journey we will ever attempt, it is one that he feels we ultimately must make if we are to survive as a species.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08mhnyz

More on people on the programme:

Libby Jackson‏ @LibbyJackson__ 56m56 minutes ago

Tune into @BBCFOUR tonight at 9pm to see @Kevin_Fong, Helen Sharman, Sanjeev Gupta and myself discuss going to Mars

https://twitter.com/LibbyJackson__/status/851730106041196546

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 2596
  • Likes Given: 865
Re: BBC4 Programme, April 11, 2017: Should we go to Mars?
« Reply #1 on: 04/13/2017 05:13 PM »
Was finally able to watch this last night.

Rather NASA centric in suggestions of how things might be done (eg presenting SLS as the rocket to get to Mars), no mention of any other HLVs. SpaceX got a couple of mentions (one not very flattering - showing videos of failed S1 landing attempts without being very clear about how successful they have subsequently been).

There was one mention of Mars One, in the context of a segment on the ethics of one-way missions.

For a lay audience though I think the programme did cover reasonably a number of key issues, such as engineering, health effects (both physical - eg radiation - and psychological), planetary protection, ISRU etc.

Offline CuddlyRocket

This was basically a cheaply-made clip show utilising the BBC's extensive documentary back-catalogue and with comments from Kevin Fong as the framing device. As such, it was a bit disjointed and at times over-simplistic. But, at least it was on!

Offline Roy_H

• Liked: 183
  • Likes Given: 1163
Re: BBC4 Programme, April 11, 2017: Should we go to Mars?
« Reply #3 on: 04/14/2017 04:33 PM »
No idea how old this is, but I just came across it.
"If we don't achieve re-usability, I will consider SpaceX to be a failure." - Elon Musk

Tags: