Author Topic: Firm Floats Plan to Hang Colossal Skyscraper From an Asteroid  (Read 1737 times)

Offline catdlr

• Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 1135
  • Likes Given: 645
Firm Floats Plan to Hang Colossal Skyscraper From an Asteroid

ANALEMMA TOWER:

NBC News Article:

Picture:
Prefabricated units are hoisted up and plugged into an extendable core which is then clipped onto the supporting cable. Credit: Clouds Architecture Office

Picture:
Analemma Tower would travel on a daily loop between the northern and southern hemispheres, including a daily pass over Midtown Manhattan. Credit: Clouds Architecture Office
« Last Edit: 03/29/2017 07:39 PM by catdlr »
Tony De La Rosa

Offline topo334

• California
  • Liked: 14
  • Likes Given: 21
*Gulp* It is a hell of an idea for a novel. Now, who's gonna write it?

Online Bynaus

• Planetary Scientist
  • Switzerland
  • Liked: 201
  • Likes Given: 104
Well - this is essentially a building built on a space elevator. As such, it has the same problem as a space elevator: it needs materials of enormous strength, which we don't have. The added weight of the building only exacerbates the problem.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 4332
  • Likes Given: 2934
Seems a little early (two days to go somewhere) and a bit, ahem, foolish. 

Tensile strength to weight says you can't do this yet. Not here. Maybe Mars.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 91
  • Likes Given: 78
It hangs in the air much in the same way bricks skyscrapers don't.

Offline KelvinZero

• Liked: 370
  • Likes Given: 81
Lighter than air sky scrapers would seem an easier way to achieve something similar.

I also wonder: with a very tall lighter than air column, you could probably also control you height from the ground very accurately by moving sea-level pressure compartments from the top to the bottom, sort of like external elevators. At the bottom they might be close to neutrally boyant. At the top they would be dead weight.

Offline aceshigh

• Liked: 161
  • Likes Given: 16
so it traces an 8 measuring some 8-10 thousand kilometers north/south, in the space of a day?

That means... the tower travels at supersonic velocities through the atmosphere?

this makes no sense.

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 5805
  • Likes Given: 4315
Looks sweet, though.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline CameronD

• Melbourne, Australia
    • Norton Consultants
  • Liked: 357
  • Likes Given: 263
..and here I thought NBC News was a creditable news organisation..  ::)
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - however, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are
going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead.

Online IanO

• Portland, OR
    • Portland State Aerospace Society
  • Liked: 28
  • Likes Given: 128
Already written!  This is one of the settings in the second half of Neal Stephenson's novel "Seveneves".

Coming back to reality, there are far more important megastructure milestones to complete before we work on such a folly.
psas.pdx.edu - to orbit with stone knives and bearskins

Offline missinglink

• Liked: 8
  • Likes Given: 54
This is great PR! Cost of hiring illustrator to create visualization: $1,000

Value of free publicity: potentially millions of dollars

I recommended to one of my clients -- a company that delivers automated manufacturing plants for pre-fab concrete -- to work out a proposal for building spacehabs from asteroids using robotic craft. They looked at me like I was crazy. But it's not about proposing something that can be done tomorrow. It's about mindshare and the "coolness" factor.

Offline Crispy

• London
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 6
What is this nonsense doing in my NSF? :(

Online SWGlassPit

• I break space hardware
  • Liked: 228
  • Likes Given: 33

I recommended to one of my clients -- a company that delivers automated manufacturing plants for pre-fab concrete -- to work out a proposal for building spacehabs from asteroids using robotic craft. They looked at me like I was crazy. But it's not about proposing something that can be done tomorrow. It's about mindshare and the "coolness" factor.

Loss of credibility and gaining a reputation as yet another bunch of architects that don't understand physics: priceless.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 4332
  • Likes Given: 2934
What is this nonsense doing in my NSF? :(

It's an advanced concept. Needs some physics law violations but...

(if you were seriously complaining, remember, report to mod is the route for that, we'll look and decide)
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline muomega0

• Liked: 64
  • Likes Given: 1

Loss of credibility and gaining a reputation as yet another bunch of architects that don't understand physics: priceless.
Did your read the article?   

First sentence:  "Don't expect it to go up anytime soon"
Later on:  "an architect noted for futuristic thinking, called the tower a "fun utopian mega-project" but said a cable suspended from space would break under its own weight."     ;)  Appears they have an excellent grasp of the physics, no? 

What's important here is that it identifies lower level, longer term R&D.   Sorting out the priorities and funding is another topic.

BTW:  reuse cannot be done.  What's it doing on NSF!  Where is that mod button!

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 2388
  • Likes Given: 173
It's an advanced concept. Needs some physics law violations but...
I know a few politicians who think laws of physics can be repealed wih a simple majority vote. And one who thinks it just takes a directive.
« Last Edit: 03/31/2017 07:41 PM by Nomadd »

Offline aceshigh

• Liked: 161
  • Likes Given: 16
I have another concept for my architecture firm! A ringworld! 1 million miles wide! Diameter of 2 AU!

we just need some R&D to obtain Scrith!!!

Online Nilof

• Liked: 337
  • Likes Given: 511
The NBC article was a bit early for an April fools, wasn't it?
For a variable Isp spacecraft running at constant power and constant acceleration, the mass ratio is linear in delta-v.   Δv = ve0(MR-1). Or equivalently: Δv = vef PMF. Also, this is energy-optimal for a fixed delta-v and mass ratio.

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 227
  • Likes Given: 84
It is possible to put up such a building in GEO. Although it is unlikely to be 36,000 km long.

I suspect that it would also tip over, producing a horizontal rather than vertical building.

Offline Ludus

• Liked: 210
  • Likes Given: 86
Already written!  This is one of the settings in the second half of Neal Stephenson's novel "Seveneves".

Coming back to reality, there are far more important megastructure milestones to complete before we work on such a folly.

If you want physics and details of this kind of structure check out this novel. Stephenson is very thorough about the physics.

It makes a lot more sense in the novel's context where there's a a huge civilization in earth orbit thousands of years after the sudden and unexplained destruction of the moon and earth is just becoming habitable again.

Tags: