Author Topic: Tornado hits NASA Michoud  (Read 30648 times)

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81673
  • Likes Given: 36940
Re: Tornado hits NASA Michoud
« Reply #20 on: 02/07/2017 06:15 pm »
Tornado Damage at NASA's Michoud Facility in New Orleans East via Jonathan Simeral

https://twitter.com/28storms/status/829027408896352256

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #21 on: 02/07/2017 06:25 pm »
Rolling article which will be fed out of this thread:
https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017/02/maf-tornado-damage-injury-assessments/

By Chris Gebhardt.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline rdale

• Assistant to the Chief Meteorologist
  • Lansing MI
  • Liked: 1415
  • Likes Given: 171

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
« Reply #23 on: 02/07/2017 06:35 pm »

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #24 on: 02/07/2017 06:52 pm »
One of my MAF friends has been in touch. He's OK, said it was like a train hitting. Some walls have been blown out. No serious injuries in his building <---the important part. I only asked him about himself. We can worry about hardware another day.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline woods170

• IRAS fan
  • IRAS fan
  • The Netherlands
  • Liked: 18199
  • Likes Given: 12162
« Reply #25 on: 02/07/2017 06:53 pm »
« Last Edit: 02/07/2017 06:54 pm by woods170 »

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7824
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #26 on: 02/07/2017 06:59 pm »
Note that the damage was to a lot of other structures, not just NASA:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2017/02/07/this-monster-tornado-just-rolled-through-new-orleans-major-damage-reported/?hpid=hp_no-name_hp-in-the-news%3Apage%2Fin-the-news&utm_term=.2eaee33de5f4

This monster tornado just rolled through New Orleans — major damage reported

By Angela Fritz February 7 at 2:15 PM

Severe thunderstorms barreled through the Southeast on Tuesday, dropping multiple tornadoes in southern Louisiana, one of which did major damage to communities in east New Orleans — among the areas devastated by Hurricane Katrina.

The large tornado was filmed by storm chasers and residents as it tracked from west to east across the populous New Orleans region. Multiple tornado warnings were issued as the storm evolved in which the National Weather Service used strong language to convey a tornado had been spotted on the ground.

The National Weather Service confirmed at least three tornadoes touched down.

Offline PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #27 on: 02/07/2017 07:06 pm »

Drat, not a good story--though thanks for the coverage, NSF.  Best wishes to the folks in the region--hope you and your families are safe!

Online Chris Bergin

Offline psloss

• Veteran armchair spectator
  • Liked: 4047
  • Likes Given: 2089
« Reply #29 on: 02/07/2017 07:29 pm »
Yuck. 

Apologies if I'm duplicating, but saw this at the airport as I was getting back to the States.  Here's what NASA PAO Tracy McMahan passed along after I touched base with her:

At 11:25 a.m. CST, a tornado impacted NASA’s Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans. At this time, only minor injuries have been reported and NASA employees and other tenants are being accounted for. There is still a threat of severe weather in the area and emergency officials are continuing to monitor the situation to ensure the safety of onsite personnel. The onsite Michoud emergency response team is also conducting damage assessments of buildings and facilities.

I haven't had a chance to see if this statement or another has gone up elsewhere yet.
« Last Edit: 02/07/2017 07:30 pm by psloss »

Offline wxmeddler

« Reply #30 on: 02/07/2017 07:32 pm »
Yuck. 

Apologies if I'm duplicating, but saw this at the airport as I was getting back to the States.  Here's what NASA PAO Tracy McMahan passed along after I touched base with her:

At 11:25 a.m. CST, a tornado impacted NASA’s Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans. At this time, only minor injuries have been reported and NASA employees and other tenants are being accounted for. There is still a threat of severe weather in the area and emergency officials are continuing to monitor the situation to ensure the safety of onsite personnel. The onsite Michoud emergency response team is also conducting damage assessments of buildings and facilities.

I haven't had a chance to see if this statement or another has gone up elsewhere yet.

Same statement just got posted to NASA's main twitter page. Only official statement I've seen thus far.
https://twitter.com/NASA/status/829063065735794688

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7824
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #31 on: 02/07/2017 08:46 pm »
Houses damaged. And one of the NASA buildings.

https://twitter.com/megfarrisWWL
« Last Edit: 02/07/2017 08:48 pm by Blackstar »

Offline psloss

« Reply #32 on: 02/07/2017 10:34 pm »
Saw this video on the Weather Channel...there's some NSFW language in the audio...under the circumstances, I probably would have dropped a few expletives, too.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQOU9KJAzor/?taken-by=east_side_tv

Offline psloss

« Reply #33 on: 02/07/2017 10:45 pm »
Story by Lee Roop:
http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2017/02/tornado_swats_nasas_michoud_bu.html

"Our folks are all taken care of," said Steve Doering, stages manager for the Space Launch System being built at Michoud. Other than scrapes, Doering said there were no major injuries.

There are other tenants at MAF; not sure this covers those but hopefully everyone else is OK, too.
« Last Edit: 02/07/2017 10:46 pm by psloss »

Offline zt

• Liked: 10
  • Likes Given: 19

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
« Reply #35 on: 02/08/2017 12:04 am »
Story by Lee Roop:
http://www.al.com/news/huntsville/index.ssf/2017/02/tornado_swats_nasas_michoud_bu.html

"Our folks are all taken care of," said Steve Doering, stages manager for the Space Launch System being built at Michoud. Other than scrapes, Doering said there were no major injuries.

There are other tenants at MAF; not sure this covers those but hopefully everyone else is OK, too.
I have only heard reports of minor injuries, but thankfully no fatalities...
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline DDG40

• Slidell LA.
  • Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #36 on: 02/08/2017 12:09 am »
Video taken from the (rear?) of MAF.

This was taken from building 220 (This building is being used by Textron . The storm had just left MAF. property and was heading into a March area.

Offline DDG40

• Slidell LA.
  • Liked: 30
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #37 on: 02/08/2017 12:14 am »
https://twitter.com/jimtaylorjr/status/829040780111183873/photo/1
What you are seeing here is scaffolding that was being used to remove the corrosion and repaint the rust areas you see on the VAB.

Offline rdale

• Lansing MI
« Reply #38 on: 02/08/2017 01:56 am »
Evening NASA Update:

Tornado Recovery Underway at NASA’s Michoud Assembly Facility
Recovery efforts are underway at NASA’s Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans, which was impacted by a tornado at 11:25 a.m. CST Tuesday. All 3,500 employees at the facility have been accounted for, with five sustaining minor injuries.

“Our hearts go out to our employees and the people in New Orleans who have suffered from this serious storm,” said Keith Hefner, director of the facility. “The safety of our team is always our main concern, and we are pleased to report that we’ve identified only minor injuries.”

The facility is currently closed and will remain closed Wednesday, Feb. 8, with only emergency personnel on site to continue damage assessments. All NASA employees and tenants who are not involved in emergency operations have been evacuated. Local law enforcement helped ensure employees arrived home safely. All utilities and services to the facility are being secured and efforts are underway to restore power.

At this time, emergency personnel have identified damage to building numbers 103, 350 and additional structures. Building 103, Michoud’s main manufacturing building, has roof damage in several areas. Approximately 200 parked cars were damaged, and there was damage to roads and other areas near Michoud.

“Michoud has a comprehensive emergency plan that we activated today to ensure the safety of our people and to secure our facilities,” said Hefner. “I am proud of our dedicated team onsite who are successfully implementing that plan.”

Hardware for NASA’s heavy-lift rocket, the Space Launch System, and the Orion spacecraft is secure, and no damage from the storm has been idenfied to hardware or the barge Pegasus docked at Michoud.

Offline deBASHmode

« Reply #39 on: 02/08/2017 04:40 am »
Multiple vortices. Yikes!

Saw this video on the Weather Channel...there's some NSFW language in the audio...under the circumstances, I probably would have dropped a few expletives, too.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BQOU9KJAzor/?taken-by=east_side_tv
---
Shuttle hugger. Flight ops/Flight Director fangrrrrl. "I never want to hold again..."

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography