Author Topic: Space Shuttle: Developing an Icon 1972-2013 by Dennis Jenkins  (Read 40048 times)

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
Unboxing gallery! (Orange for scale...)

Looks amazing. The typeface is not too small, it is eminently readable. Typography is compact, which I like. More info!

Last three pics are typical spreads from each of the three volumes.

Offline HighlandRay

• Scotland, UK
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 0
Just finished reading the first book and I have enjoyed every detailed page. The authors love for the Space Shuttle shines through every page. I can't wait to continue the story in books 2 & 3.
To old to die young

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
In his recent article in Spaceflight magazine about the book he makes particular mention of the fact that he didn’t get very far with his FOIA requests to both NASA & the Air Force as regards the classified missions.

Offline Tony Trout

• Murphy, North Carolina (USA)
  • Liked: 24
  • Likes Given: 111
Here's a book trilogy that I ran across while surfing Amazon's website:  Space Shuttle: Developing An Icon 1972-2013. 

It reads like it's a neat trilogy of books and I'm hoping that I can purchase it pretty soon.

Anyway......here's the link to the space shuttle book set if anyone is interested:

Space Shuttle: Developing an Icon 1972-2013

[Edit by FST: new thread was started but we had this existing one, so I’ve merged in. Acts as a bump to remind everyone of this excellent shuttle resource]
« Last Edit: 07/29/2020 05:57 pm by FutureSpaceTourist »
"The Image Is One Thing & The Human Being Another...It's Very Hard To Live Up To An Image, I'll Put It That Way."  (Elvis Presley During A Press Conference Before The First Of Four Sold Out Performances At New York's Madison Square Garden - June 9 - 11, 1972)

Offline Tony Trout

I ordered my copy and it should be here by this evening!  I'm very excited!!!  Although, can someone explain why the title of the books is, "Space Shuttle: Developing An Icon 1972-2013"?  The reason I ask, of course, is because we all know that former U.S. President George Bush, Jr shut down the shuttle program in 2011 so....was the printing of the year 2013 an error or....is there something I'm missing that I'm not aware of?
« Last Edit: 10/05/2020 05:32 pm by Tony Trout »
"The Image Is One Thing & The Human Being Another...It's Very Hard To Live Up To An Image, I'll Put It That Way."  (Elvis Presley During A Press Conference Before The First Of Four Sold Out Performances At New York's Madison Square Garden - June 9 - 11, 1972)

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
It also describes how the Shuttles went into museums. The Atlantis display only opened in 2013.

http://www.collectspace.com/shuttles/

Offline Tony Trout

It also describes how the Shuttles went into museums. The Atlantis display only opened in 2013.

http://www.collectspace.com/shuttles/

Thanks for the explanation.  I'd totally briefly forgotten about the shuttle displays (which I will very likely never get to see in real-life because I and both of my parents are disabled and it's hard for us to travel long distances).  :( 

Again, I appreciate the explanation.  It's too bad, though, that the type-set size is so darn small!  I'm legally blind in my left eye and my vision in the right eye isn't good, either.  No matter, though!  I'm enjoying the books and they have a prominent display on my shelf along with all of my Elvis Presley-related books!   :P :D ;D :) ;)

Offline Tony Trout

CRAP!!!!!!!!  It looks like I'm going to have to purchase another set of books!!!   >:( :( :'(  Why, you may ask?  Because like the idiot that I am, I accidentally crumpled and wound up ripping a few of the pages in "Volume III"!!  I'm a tad OCD and I like to keep my books in near-perfect condition if possible....and I wasn't able to do that with this set.   

Unfortunately, I'll have to wait a couple of months until I can save up the money to purchase another set (I'm going to give the current set to my Stepfather who's also a huge space nut like me). 

*sad sigh*

>:( :( :'(
« Last Edit: 10/10/2020 02:10 am by Tony Trout »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography