Author Topic: Mars One/Paragon Exploration Suit  (Read 5162 times)

Offline Vultur

• Liked: 149
  • Likes Given: 11
Re: Mars One/Paragon Exploration Suit
« Reply #20 on: 12/31/2016 07:34 PM »
Great bit about Martian dust deteriorating the suits. The only data available data shows considerable wear in three effing days,
3 days? Are you referring to Apollo? Because Lunar dust IIRC is quite different from Mars dust, and significantly worse since the Moon has essentially zero erosion where Mars has some (though still much less than Earth).

I guess the same goes for counterpressure suits, which is probably the reason they aren't even mentioned in this analysis.

That's sad to see... I'm firmly convinced that counterpressure is the way to go for making working in vacuum/very low pressure environments easy.

1 Earth atmosphere where? How about Denver. Say, 12psi.

End the dominance of the sea levelers!!!

But seriously, full sea level pressure means that you can't afford as high of margins, and you must pre breathe for EVAs or entering lightweight vehicles, and you have a greater risk of the bends in case of rapid decompression or emergency EVAs.

There really is no reason for Mars to be EXACTLY sea level pressure. Even much of Earth isn't.

Yeah, basically nobody has trouble at Denver altitude. Mexico City altitude (~7400 ft., ~11.2 psi) is still totally OK for pretty much everyone - and you just wouldn't send the few people who do have trouble at that elevation.

IIRC 8000 ft. (about 10.9 psi) is where high altitude is really considered to start - that's also the FAA limit for depressurizing airliner cabins.

And Skylab was something like 5 psi, 75% oxygen/25% nitrogen. It would probably have a somewhat higher fire risk... OTOH doesn't the thinner air & zero gravity impede convection and thus tend to inhibit fire?

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 255
  • Likes Given: 309
« Reply #21 on: 01/01/2017 01:09 AM »
The deep for pre-breathe is not due to changing the gas ratios, but the pressure drop. You can breath 100% O2 at 1 atmosphere without a pre-breathe.
« Last Edit: 01/01/2017 01:18 AM by Dalhousie »
"There is nobody who is a bigger fan of sending robots to Mars than me... But I believe firmly that the best, the most comprehensive, the most successful exploration will be done by humans" Steve Squyres

Offline RanulfC

• Heus tu Omnis! Vigilate Hoc!
  • Liked: 770
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #22 on: 01/04/2017 02:53 PM »
I guess the same goes for counterpressure suits, which is probably the reason they aren't even mentioned in this analysis.

That's sad to see... I'm firmly convinced that counterpressure is the way to go for making working in vacuum/very low pressure environments easy.

As I got slammed with last year in the discussion on using MCP suits, none of the 'experts' think they will work and "obviously" since no one IS using them then they don't work. Since no 'regular' suit maker is working with them it follows that line of thinking most of the 'new' makers follow the same assumptions with few exceptions. (Off-hand Final Frontier Design, {http://www.finalfrontierdesign.com/} is the only one I'm aware of doing so and with good reason as they won the 2009 NASA Space Suit Glove challenge with an MCP design and a follow on contract to develop the same into a usable glove attachable to a standard pressure suit and continues to pursue a full MCP design) Part of the reason is the most obvious and 'main' customer is NASA and they have set standards which actually preclude MCP use even though they at the same time offer a specific category for MCP designs.

Bottom line though is they won't buy one and it seems neither will anyone else at the present, even if they were offered. This may change as time goes on and exposure/research continues but as this report again points out it's going to be an uphill battle.

Randy
« Last Edit: 01/04/2017 04:18 PM by RanulfC »
From The Amazing Catstronaut on the Black Arrow LV:
British physics, old chap. It's undignified to belch flames and effluvia all over the pad, what. A true gentlemen's orbital conveyance lifts itself into the air unostentatiously, with the minimum of spectacle and a modicum of grace. Not like our American cousins' launch vehicles, eh?

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 255
  • Likes Given: 309
« Reply #23 on: 03/16/2017 06:06 AM »

As I got slammed with last year in the discussion on using MCP suits, none of the 'experts' think they will work and "obviously" since no one IS using them then they don't work. Since no 'regular' suit maker is working with them it follows that line of thinking most of the 'new' makers follow the same assumptions with few exceptions. (Off-hand Final Frontier Design, {http://www.finalfrontierdesign.com/} is the only one I'm aware of doing so and with good reason as they won the 2009 NASA Space Suit Glove challenge with an MCP design and a follow on contract to develop the same into a usable glove attachable to a standard pressure suit and continues to pursue a full MCP design) Part of the reason is the most obvious and 'main' customer is NASA and they have set standards which actually preclude MCP use even though they at the same time offer a specific category for MCP designs.

who are these "experts" who don't think MCP will work? 
"There is nobody who is a bigger fan of sending robots to Mars than me... But I believe firmly that the best, the most comprehensive, the most successful exploration will be done by humans" Steve Squyres

Tags: