Author Topic: Mars 2020 rover receives upgraded eyesight for tricky skycrane landing  (Read 2093 times)

Offline redliox

• Arizona USA
  • Liked: 299
  • Likes Given: 54
The upgrades with the cameras and wheels somewhat expected, but nonetheless good they wanted to improve upon Curiosity (especially the wheels).  The 2 items I'm the most curious on (3 if you count MOXIE I suppose) are the helicopter drone and landing site selection, I want to hear more on them although I expect the landing sites will be mentioned another day.
"Let the trails lead where they may, I will follow."
-Tigatron

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 248
  • Likes Given: 294
The upgrades with the cameras and wheels somewhat expected, but nonetheless good they wanted to improve upon Curiosity (especially the wheels).  The 2 items I'm the most curious on (3 if you count MOXIE I suppose) are the helicopter drone and landing site selection, I want to hear more on them although I expect the landing sites will be mentioned another day.

The 3rd workshop is in February.  I expect they will narrow the candidates down to 2-4 sites. The final selection will probably be made on the 4th workshop.

http://marsnext.jpl.nasa.gov/workshops/wkshp_2017_02.cfm
"There is nobody who is a bigger fan of sending robots to Mars than me... But I believe firmly that the best, the most comprehensive, the most successful exploration will be done by humans" Steve Squyres

Tags: