Author Topic: Ukrainian Cyclone 4M Launch Operations will be Established in North America  (Read 85896 times)

Offline starbase

• Liked: 328
  • Likes Given: 93
@spaceflight101 has a detailed article on this endeavour: http://spaceflight101.com/maritime-launch-services-selects-nova-scotia-launch-site/
bit.ly/SpaceLaunchCalendar ☆ bit.ly/SpaceEventCalendar

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
Here's the launch vehicle. LOX/Kero first stage derived from Zenit first stage, but using Ukrainian engines. This could be the RD-801, which is in development.

http://www.yuzhnoye.com/en/technique/rocket-engines/marching/rd-801/

That has a sea level thrust of 1199 kN. Four engines has a thrust of 4794 kN. Another engine in development is the RD-810.

http://www.yuzhnoye.com/en/technique/rocket-engines/marching/rd-810/

That has a sea level thrust of 1876 kN, giving a lift-off thrust of 7505 kN.

Look at the stats and compare the RD-801 with the Chinese YF-100 and the RD-810 with the Indian SCE-200. You are not going to convince me easily that those pairs are not related. I heard that the Ukrainians sold the blueprints for each and the Chinese and Indians had to develop the materials, models and certification process.

Offline gospacex

• Liked: 543
  • Likes Given: 604
Yuzhnoye is a government enterprise, and Ukrainian government is inefficient and worse, incredibly corrupt.
Klepto-politicians continue to pilfer public funds on a massive scale even while the war with Russia is ongoing.
Feeble attempts at "reforms" in economy, politics, judiciary, police, tax collection stalled. Now most people who tried to execute those reforms are fired.
GDP per capita is falling to nearly Africa-like levels.

I am trying to see how the idea with Cyclone-4 can possibly work in light of this environment... Maybe Canadians can privatize Yuzhnoye in its entirety?
« Last Edit: 03/15/2017 02:32 pm by gospacex »

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
  • Liked: 659
  • Likes Given: 7692
Yuzhnoye is a government enterprise, and Ukrainian government is inefficient and worse, incredibly corrupt.
Klepto-politicians continue to pilfer public funds on a massive scale even while the war with Russia is ongoing.
Feeble attempts at "reforms" in economy, politics, judiciary, police, tax collection stalled. Now most people who tried to execute those reforms are fired.

I am trying to see how the idea with Cyclone-4 can possibly work in light of this environment... Maybe Canadians can privatize Yuzhnoye in its entirety?

Actually Canada & the Ukraine have reasonable close ties (mostly in opposition to Russian aggression on the world stage). We are often looking at ways to help & do business with the Ukrainians (while at the same time trying NOT to offend Russians). This is a reasonably sound way to do that.

(it's hard playing both sides of the fence,  but we certainly like to try)

Offline Billium

• Winnipeg Canada
  • Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 43
When I tweeted the link, a few Canadians responded with the potential of Churchill?

The only possibility would be Churchill, Manitoba, which is on the left edge of James Bay (close to our arctic area) in the center of our country.

Again, that is a potential non-starter these days due to indigenous people's land rights, and contamination due to hypergols.

(as for hypergols, its use on payloads 'might' get approval, but certainly not on the rocket's launch stages)

Just for interest, Churchill used to be our "spaceport" and we used to launch our sounding rockets out of there, and it has rail links (for the moment at least) and port (for the moment). We used to ship lots of grain out of Churchill too, I won't get into the politics of what is going on up there now, but they really are looking for some economic development.

Online edkyle99

• Expert
    • Space Launch Report
  • Liked: 8566
  • Likes Given: 1356
Looks familiar.

- Ed Kyle

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia
When I tweeted the link, a few Canadians responded with the potential of Churchill?

The only possibility would be Churchill, Manitoba, which is on the left edge of James Bay (close to our arctic area) in the center of our country.

Again, that is a potential non-starter these days due to indigenous people's land rights, and contamination due to hypergols.

(as for hypergols, its use on payloads 'might' get approval, but certainly not on the rocket's launch stages)

Just for interest, Churchill used to be our "spaceport" and we used to launch our sounding rockets out of there, and it has rail links (for the moment at least) and port (for the moment). We used to ship lots of grain out of Churchill too, I won't get into the politics of what is going on up there now, but they really are looking for some economic development.

I know. I used to be a member of the High Power Rocketry Association.  ;)

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
Looks familiar.

- Ed Kyle
except 4 chamber.engine version

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 618
  • Likes Given: 211
Looks familiar.

Cyclone 4M = edit: Florida Mayak-L
(the initially intended heavier variant of Antares, with a liquid upper-stage instead of Castor 30(XL))
I think it's very unlikely Cyclone 4M will use hypergolic propellants.

?4x RD-801?
« Last Edit: 03/16/2017 06:02 pm by Rik ISS-fan »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
Looks familiar.

Cyclone 4M = Mayak-L2
(the initially intended heavier variant of Antares, with a liquid upper-stage instead of Castor 30(XL))

?4x RD-801?
possibly

Offline Danderman

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 699
  • Likes Given: 723
A LOX/Kerosene system flying over Hudson's Bay might work, but no bucks, no Buck Rogers.

Offline gospacex

• Liked: 543
  • Likes Given: 604

Actually Canada & the Ukraine have reasonable close ties (mostly in opposition to Russian aggression on the world stage).

Correct. Ukrainians and Canadians as nations are on friendly terms. No problem there.

The problem lies with Ukrainian individuals who are in charge of Yuzhmash. Just about any Ukrainian government enterprise is in bad financial shape (because management steals $$$) and therefore you can never be sure whether they'd execute their contractual obligations on time, on budget and with desired quality.
« Last Edit: 03/15/2017 11:14 pm by gospacex »

Offline robertross

• Canadian Member
  • Westphal, Nova Scotia

Actually Canada & the Ukraine have reasonable close ties (mostly in opposition to Russian aggression on the world stage).

Correct. Ukrainians and Canadians as nations are on friendly terms. No problem there.

The problem lies with Ukrainian individuals who are in charge of Yuzhmash. Just about any Ukrainian government enterprise is in bad financial shape (because management steals $$$) and therefore you can never be sure whether they'd execute their contractual obligations on time, on budget and with desired quality.

Well I don't foresee that to be a problem for the launch site, only the launch customers.

This is only about jobs for the local people (and maybe some revenue) - nothing more.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 618
  • Likes Given: 211
Possibly some future for AR-1

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
Looks familiar.

Cyclone 4M = Mayak-L2

?4x RD-801?
possibly
Anatoly Zak reports per his industry sources that first stage is using a version of RD-120 (Four modified RD-120 engines known in Ukraine as RD-810): http://russianspaceweb.com/tsyklon4m.html
« Last Edit: 03/16/2017 06:40 pm by russianhalo117 »

Offline The man in the can

• Liked: 43
  • Likes Given: 10
Ukrainian Tsklon-4M coming to Canada?
« Reply #55 on: 03/19/2017 09:30 pm »
From Anatoly Zak : http://www.russianspaceweb.com/tsyklon4m.html

As a Canadian I was surprised to read this!  :o
« Last Edit: 03/19/2017 09:31 pm by The man in the can »

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
Re: Ukrainian Tsklon-4M coming to Canada?
« Reply #56 on: 03/19/2017 09:36 pm »
Great news for Nova Scotia! :)
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline Space Ghost 1962

• Whatcha gonna do when the Ghost zaps you?
  • Liked: 2925
  • Likes Given: 2247
Basically 4 single axis gimballed RD-120 derivatives with indigenous production.

Offline ChamberPressure

New details about the proposed launch site and operations: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/canso-rocket-launch-pad-space-port-control-centre-rail-track-1.4065566

Also, it looks like it's confirmed the C4M will be using 4 RD-870 kerolox engines in the first stage (http://www.russianspaceweb.com/rd870.html), and 1 RD-861K engine with N2O4/UDMH propellants in the second stage.

Offline Alter Sachse

• Near Heidelberg
  • Liked: 1481
  • Likes Given: 1784
One day you're a hero  next day you're a clown  there's nothing that is in between
        Jeff Lynne - "21century man"

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography