Author Topic: Technical Universities in Germany (Mechanical/Aerospace Engineering)  (Read 1499 times)

Offline AstroBeatle

Hey, guys! Any Germans, or at least people who have studied in Germany here? I am 17 years old and I plan to study Mechanical Engineering (with Aerospace Engineering as a major course elective) at the Technical University (TU) of Darmstadt or Dresden. How are the classes there? What are the best, most difficult, stressful and enjoyable parts of studying at a TU in Germany? As for international alumni, how long did it take you to adapt to the language, and where did you go for Studienkolleg? When did you realize that you were fluent in German?
Thanks.

Offline IRobot

• Portugal & Germany
  • Liked: 204
  • Likes Given: 189
I haven't studied in Germany but been living here for 3 years.
German is a very difficult language and each state has a very strong accent (compared to high German), which makes things complicated.

So try to get an English-only course, otherwise you will need several years to properly understand them.

Unsure if Freiburg has an aerospace course, but it is a very nice city for foreign students who don't speak much German.

Offline Welsh Dragon

• Liked: 187
  • Likes Given: 25
I'm going to have to disagree (conditionally) with the poster above. From their location, I guess they're Portuguese? Learning German from a Latin language can be tricky, I'd guess, but if you're already speaking English, or another Germanic language, it's not that tricky. True, you won't pass for a native for years (if ever), especially with the aforementioned regional accents, but you should be fine. I'd be surprised though if they don't offer English language programs.

(Poster is fluent in English, Dutch and German)

Offline AstroBeatle

I haven't studied in Germany but been living here for 3 years.
German is a very difficult language and each state has a very strong accent (compared to high German), which makes things complicated.

So try to get an English-only course, otherwise you will need several years to properly understand them.

Unsure if Freiburg has an aerospace course, but it is a very nice city for foreign students who don't speak much German.

I very much wish that I could find an engineering degree program in English. The only problem is that most of the engineering programs for bachelor degree programs are in German, and the only English-speaking mechanical engineering course is in the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, where they mainly focus on process engineering and specialize in electrical and automotive engineering.

For the record, I have already taken German lessons for over a year. I stopped at B1, the intermediate level and I will take Goethe's B1 Certificate on the 23rd of September. Wish me luck!

Offline AstroBeatle

I'm going to have to disagree (conditionally) with the poster above. From their location, I guess they're Portuguese? Learning German from a Latin language can be tricky, I'd guess, but if you're already speaking English, or another Germanic language, it's not that tricky. True, you won't pass for a native for years (if ever), especially with the aforementioned regional accents, but you should be fine. I'd be surprised though if they don't offer English language programs.

(Poster is fluent in English, Dutch and German)

Ach so. Ich habe deutsch gelernt seit mehr als 1 Jahr, aber ich denke, dass mein deutsch nicht gut genug ist. 2 Monate früher habe ich B1 fertig. Am 23 September werde ich mein B1-Goethe Zertifikat Prüfung machen. Wenn ich in deutschland ankommen, werde ich in einer Sprachschule studieren (für B1-C1) und danach werde ich in einer Studienkolleg studieren. Ich glaube, dass man wie deutschen Muttersprachler spricht, wenn man bis C1 lernt.
Studienangebot auf English an der Universitäten oder Fachhochschule sind so selten in deutschland. Die bachelor's Studienangebot auf Englisch sind nur für die Studenten, die Wissenschaft studieren. Das habe ich gedacht: warum?
(Korrigieren Sie mir bitte, ob ich Fehler machen.)

Tags: