Author Topic: Axiom Space LLC  (Read 190018 times)

Offline GWH

• Canada
  • Liked: 1929
  • Likes Given: 1277
Re: Axiom Space LLC
« Reply #40 on: 04/13/2017 04:43 am »
The Cis-Lunar facility will be built in the mid to late 2020's, Axiom is one of the NextStep awardees - for a project to evaluate using launch vehicle stages as potential habitable modules.

Too bad we're just at the point where launch vehicles are switching over to being reusable.  No free upper stages floating around any more.

That is Ixion proposing to reuse upper stages not Axiom.  And I am sure there will still be plenty of opportunities with upper stages not being economical or possible to recover in comparison with a habitat from scratch.
http://spacenews.com/nasa-adds-companies-to-program-to-develop-deep-space-habitats/

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81637
  • Likes Given: 36932
« Reply #41 on: 04/13/2017 08:31 am »
Somehow I don't think Bigelow Aerospace will agree that Axiom is building the first commercial space station ...

Bigelow hasn't built one yet. They've built some pressure vessels, but nothing complete enough to be called a space station. That said, it'll be interesting to see who makes it to market first.

~Jon

True Bigelow haven't built one yet (although Robert Bigelow said last year he'd now committed to build the first one and was no longer waiting for a crew ride to orbit to be available). But unless I've missed something big, Bigelow has both built and flown a lot more than Axiom.

So right now why wouldn't Bigelow be favourite to be the first ahead of Axiom?

Offline GWH

• Canada
  • Liked: 1929
  • Likes Given: 1277
« Reply #42 on: 04/13/2017 02:20 pm »
Experience and professionalism?

Offline jongoff

• Recovering Rocket Plumber/Space Entrepreneur
  • Lafayette/Broomfield, CO
  • Liked: 3987
  • Likes Given: 1681
« Reply #43 on: 04/13/2017 04:09 pm »
The Cis-Lunar facility will be built in the mid to late 2020's, Axiom is one of the NextStep awardees - for a project to evaluate using launch vehicle stages as potential habitable modules.

Too bad we're just at the point where launch vehicles are switching over to being reusable.  No free upper stages floating around any more.

The original poster was incorrect--it's a NanoRacks/MDA/ULA team ("Ixion") that has the NextSTEP BAA contract for looking at wet stations, not Axiom. As for launch vehicles all becoming fully reusable in the near future so there are no free upper stages floating around... I'm politely skeptical.

~Jon

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 4992
  • Likes Given: 6459
« Reply #44 on: 04/13/2017 05:25 pm »

The original poster was incorrect--it's a NanoRacks/MDA/ULA team ("Ixion") that has the NextSTEP BAA contract for looking at wet stations, not Axiom. As for launch vehicles all becoming fully reusable in the near future so there are no free upper stages floating around... I'm politely skeptical.

Yeah, the poster who said this was Axiom was wrong.  But about launch vehicles becoming fully reusable in the "near future", keep in mind that the quote I'm replying to says "mid to late 2020's".  Both SpaceX and Blue Origin seem to be on a path to full reusability well before then.  Sure, it may not happen, but I think there's a decent chance it will.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 14046
  • Likes Given: 1392
« Reply #45 on: 04/13/2017 09:54 pm »
Somehow I don't think Bigelow Aerospace will agree that Axiom is building the first commercial space station ...

Bigelow hasn't built one yet. They've built some pressure vessels, but nothing complete enough to be called a space station. That said, it'll be interesting to see who makes it to market first.

~Jon

True Bigelow haven't built one yet (although Robert Bigelow said last year he'd now committed to build the first one and was no longer waiting for a crew ride to orbit to be available). But unless I've missed something big, Bigelow has both built and flown a lot more than Axiom.

So right now why wouldn't Bigelow be favourite to be the first ahead of Axiom?

The question was about "first to operate commercial space station".

BA is very far from that.  Far enough that their lead is not significant.  Remember that such a station does not have to be inflatable.

Given how BA cycles between highs and lows, and that having a commercial space station is so much more than just the hardware, I'd hold my bet right now.

ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline jongoff

« Reply #46 on: 04/13/2017 09:55 pm »

Yeah, the poster who said this was Axiom was wrong.  But about launch vehicles becoming fully reusable in the "near future", keep in mind that the quote I'm replying to says "mid to late 2020's".  Both SpaceX and Blue Origin seem to be on a path to full reusability well before then.  Sure, it may not happen, but I think there's a decent chance it will.

Even in a world where the norm is to recover upper stages, that doesn't mean that purchasing one for reuse on orbit as a facility will be out of the question. It's just another form of reuse.

~Jon

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 4992
  • Likes Given: 6459
« Reply #47 on: 04/13/2017 10:10 pm »

Even in a world where the norm is to recover upper stages, that doesn't mean that purchasing one for reuse on orbit as a facility will be out of the question. It's just another form of reuse.

True, but it changes the calculations.  It's no longer something that's free because it would be thrown away otherwise.

And reusable launchers mean the cost of a dedicated launch for a habitat module designed just as a habitat module could be much lower, again lowering the benefit of converting an upper stage to a habitat.

It doesn't make it impossible that it could still make sense to convert an upper stage to a habitat.  It just makes the case harder to make.  The idea of doing it in the world of 1998 is more compelling than the idea of doing it in the world of 2028.

Offline Confusador

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 381
« Reply #48 on: 04/14/2017 12:36 pm »
As interesting a discussion as that may be, it's only here because of a misattribution.  Perhaps an Ixion thread is warranted?

Offline jongoff

« Reply #49 on: 04/14/2017 05:57 pm »
As interesting a discussion as that may be, it's only here because of a misattribution.  Perhaps an Ixion thread is warranted?

Done: http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42741.0

Online FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81637
  • Likes Given: 36932

Offline Eric Hedman

• The birthplace of the solid body electric guitar
  • Liked: 1953
  • Likes Given: 1142

Offline Ragmar

• Space is the Place
  • Liked: 18
  • Likes Given: 87
« Reply #52 on: 06/26/2017 12:41 pm »
Axiom has changed their website.  Alot of new content.  The module itself looks very different and has a different solar array setup.  https://www.axiomspace.com/

They also released a slick new video that touts their experience

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
  • Liked: 312
  • Likes Given: 924
« Reply #53 on: 09/28/2017 01:03 am »
Posted under Axiom tweets, sept 6, 2017: https://twitter.com/axiom_space?lang=en
The image shows ISS Nodes 1 and 2 which indicates that Axiom will build command and control functions in their new modules and utilize ISS modules once the ISS is de-commissioned (?).  An MPLM module is labeled "research"  suggesting either a re-configured MPLM from the ISS or a new module.  Considering that both Boeing and LM are using ISS sized modules for the DSG proposals and Sufferdini said (I believe in the video in the previous post #52)  Axiom is in talks with Alenia Aerospazio in Italy - are MPLM's going to be built anew?
« Last Edit: 09/28/2017 01:04 am by BrightLight »

Offline RonM

• Atlanta, Georgia USA
  • Liked: 2231
  • Likes Given: 1584
« Reply #54 on: 09/28/2017 01:52 am »
Node 1 and Node 2 do not look like the ISS node modules. Note the endcaps look the same as the habitation module. My guess is Alenia will be making all new modules for Axiom based on ISS designs.

Offline brickmack

• USA
  • Liked: 3273
  • Likes Given: 101
« Reply #55 on: 09/28/2017 02:36 pm »
The airlock module does seem to have the plates/pins for Shuttle interface at launch, as on Quest. No reason to include that in a new module, so its either an artistic error or they're reusing Quest (temporarily I assume, given the limited cycle life of airlocks in general)

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
« Reply #56 on: 09/28/2017 04:34 pm »
Node 1 and Node 2 do not look like the ISS node modules. Note the endcaps look the same as the habitation module. My guess is Alenia will be making all new modules for Axiom based on ISS designs.
Direct response from Axiom:
They are new from Thales Alenia Space, not reused from ISS.
Best regards,
XXXX XXXXXX

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
« Reply #57 on: 09/28/2017 05:18 pm »
I asked the question about the heritage of the airlock -
Attached is a bottom view of the Axion commercial station showing more detail of the airlock.
Image courtesy of Axiom.

Direct response for Axiom:

All the elements seen on our updated renderings will be new items with the exception of the cupola as shown. That may be new as well, however for the time being we’ve opted to show it as adopted from ISS.
Best,
XXXX
« Last Edit: 09/28/2017 05:23 pm by BrightLight »

Offline Eric Hedman

• The birthplace of the solid body electric guitar
  • Liked: 1953
  • Likes Given: 1142
« Reply #58 on: 09/28/2017 07:50 pm »
I know this is not all final, but I don't see any radiators on this design.  Am I missing something?  Other than that, this looks pretty cool.

Offline BrightLight

• Northern New Mexico
« Reply #59 on: 09/28/2017 07:53 pm »
I know this is not all final, but I don't see any radiators on this design.  Am I missing something?  Other than that, this looks pretty cool.
I am not a spokesperson for Axiom but I believe that the structure perpendicular to the solar array is a radiator.
Image courtesy of Axiom Inc.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography