Author Topic: FAILURE: SS-520-4 (JAXA's nanosat launcher) - TRICOM-1 Jan. 14, 2017 (23:33 UTC)  (Read 82627 times)

Offline ZachS09

• Space Savant
  • Roanoke, TX
  • Liked: 2344
  • Likes Given: 2060
Oops. According to reports they lost telemetry after 1st stage cutoff and the 2nd stage never ignited.  :(

Sounds like a failure resulting in LOV.
Liftoff for St. Jude's! Go Dragon, Go Falcon, Godspeed Inspiration4!

Offline Galactic Penguin SST

Oops. According to reports they lost telemetry after 1st stage cutoff and the 2nd stage never ignited.  :(

:-(

Are they sure it didn't ignite, or just they don't have the telemetry to confirm?

It seems that the ground lost telemetry tracking and thus the 2nd stage was not commanded to ignite.
The press conference should come within the next hour.
« Last Edit: 01/15/2017 12:36 am by Galactic Penguin SST »
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Failed.

Online jamesh9000

• Liked: 165
  • Likes Given: 184

That's what it looked like to me from the launch video. It seems to cut off when the plume was still quite bright, and then nothing. Yeah it was pretty high, but we could still see it going up, and then the plume just suddenly stopped.

Shame, it would've been nice to have gone 2 for 2 today.

ミニロケット打ち上げ失敗 データ受信できず飛行中断
1月15日 10時30分
手で持ち運べるほどの超小型衛星を安い費用で打ち上げようと、JAXA=宇宙航空研究開発機構が新たに開発した世界最小クラスのミニロケットは、15日午前8時33分に鹿児島県の内之浦宇宙空間観測所から打ち上げられましたが、機体の状態を示すデータが途中で受信できなくなったため、2段目のロケットに点火せず、飛行を中断して打ち上げは失敗しました。

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4671
  • Likes Given: 768
ミニロケット打ち上げ失敗 データ受信できず飛行中断
1月15日 10時30分
手で持ち運べるほどの超小型衛星を安い費用で打ち上げようと、JAXA=宇宙航空研究開発機構が新たに開発した世界最小クラスのミニロケットは、15日午前8時33分に鹿児島県の内之浦宇宙空間観測所から打ち上げられましたが、機体の状態を示すデータが途中で受信できなくなったため、2段目のロケットに点火せず、飛行を中断して打ち上げは失敗しました。
Google Translation:
Mini-rocket launch failure Data can not be received and flight is interrupted
January 15 10:30
The world's smallest mini rocket newly developed by the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA) is trying to launch an ultra-small satellite that can be carried by hand at a low cost, at 8:33 am on the 15th, Uchinoura Space in Kagoshima Prefecture Although it was launched from the observatory, because the data indicating the condition of the airframe could not be received in the middle, the second stage rocket was not ignited, the flight was interrupted and the launch failed.

NHK has confirmed that: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20170115/k10010840191000.html (they apparently brought in one of their news helicopter in for the launch!)

To clarify - there is a pre-programmed check between 1st stage separation and 2nd stage ignition that the flight is alright. If it is not the 2nd stage ignition command will not be issued.
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline Craftyatom

• Software!
  • Arizona, USA
  • Liked: 720
  • Likes Given: 9169
Here's the tweet from NVS, the team providing video coverage: https://twitter.com/nvslive/status/820443384493973505

Google Translate gives me: "Contact from JAXA: SS-520 Unit 4 "The flight of the first stage of the rocket was done normally, but stopped igniting the second stage motor because the telemeter from the aircraft could not be received while flying. "Tracking was successfully done and confirmed falling into the planned falling area on the southeast of Uchinoura"

Sounds like they watched the stack fall into the no-fly zone, IMO - but that's a guess, not a certainty.  You'd think that if they did they would've been able to tell us about it much earlier.
All aboard the HSF hype train!  Choo Choo!

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
Here's the tweet from NVS, the team providing video coverage: https://twitter.com/nvslive/status/820443384493973505

Google Translate gives me: "Contact from JAXA: SS-520 Unit 4 "The flight of the first stage of the rocket was done normally, but stopped igniting the second stage motor because the telemeter from the aircraft could not be received while flying. "Tracking was successfully done and confirmed falling into the planned falling area on the southeast of Uchinoura"

Sounds like they watched the stack fall into the no-fly zone, IMO - but that's a guess, not a certainty.  You'd think that if they did they would've been able to tell us about it much earlier.
probably following chain of command in a launch mishap thus only Public Affairs when given permission can state anything.

Offline Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Sad news :(

For such small rockets it's difficult to get the flight path/altitude in precise control (though acceptable for sounding rocket purposes). Japan's 1st satellite launcher - currently the lightest record holder for a rocket that did put something in orbit - took 5 times to get it right.

The very low cost of the launcher (& usually what's flown on top), however, means that even low success rates may be acceptable for use (though if you don't think you can build more copies of your sat, take a share ride instead). I don't know if Japan's government or other developers on board have more yen to fund some more flights though - it would be a shame if they can't as I wished someone would try flying a nanosat launcher like this under a serious multi-flight program.
« Last Edit: 01/15/2017 01:07 am by Galactic Penguin SST »

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
waiting for press conference

Live stream is starting soon for those who want to cover
« Last Edit: 01/15/2017 01:31 am by russianhalo117 »

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1290
  • Likes Given: 775
First stage was normal. Fell in expected area.
Telemetry stopped after 20 seconds.
Not enough info to proceed with stage 2.
Tracked rocket to ocean near Uchinoura. Investigation continues
Rocket fell in expected first stage impact area.

(thanks to a Japanese friend for translating for me )
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1290
  • Likes Given: 775
From what I can gather, lots of questions about the purchase of the telemetry unit from a private company
- presumably different from telem system on earlier SS-520 missions. Keeps saying he doesn't think that's the problem.
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Apparently they did receive signal from the falling satellite after it separated (the separation was controlled by a pre-set timer)!

Offline Katana

• Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 20

NHK has confirmed that: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20170115/k10010840191000.html (they apparently brought in one of their news helicopter in for the launch!)

To clarify - there is a pre-programmed check between 1st stage separation and 2nd stage ignition that the flight is alright. If it is not the 2nd stage ignition command will not be issued.
And the 2nd stage ignition check procedure requires ground radio command to start.
It's a radio command control system for old sounding rocket.

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8779
  • Likes Given: 7815
SS-520 rocket F4 Launch SS-520-4号機の打上げ  【360 VR】

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32734
  • Likes Given: 8178
That's what it looked like to me from the launch video. It seems to cut off when the plume was still quite bright, and then nothing. Yeah it was pretty high, but we could still see it going up, and then the plume just suddenly stopped.

That's what was supposed to happen. Second stage ignition was supposed to be 2 minutes 28 seconds after first stage burn out (at X+3 minutes) at an altitude of 179 km. I think you'd need to have very good eyes to see that occur! Unfortunately, they lost telemetry 20 seconds after launch, so they couldn't determine if the first stage had performed correctly. Their launch procedure was to send a signal at X+2m 44s to enable second stage ignition if the trajectory was within parameters. Being ultra cautious, they decided not to send the signal as they did not have enough information on the state of the vehicle. I would have sent the signal anyway. :-)
« Last Edit: 01/16/2017 06:24 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Katana

• Liked: 49
  • Likes Given: 20

That's what was supposed to happen. Second stage ignition was supposed to be 2 minutes 28 seconds after first stage burn out (at X+3 minutes) at an altitude of 179 km. I think you'd need to have very good eyes to see that occur! Unfortunately, they lost telemetry 20 seconds after launch, so they couldn't determine if the first stage had performed correctly. Their launch procedure was to send a signal at X+2m 44s to enable second stage ignition if the trajectory was within parameters. Being ultra cautious, they decided not to send the signal as they did not have enough information on the state of the vehicle. I would have sent the signal anyway. :-)

Is it legal to send the signal according to range safety rules?

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography