Author Topic: Roll Out Solar Array (ROSA) headed to the ISS  (Read 44412 times)

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
Roll Out Solar Array (ROSA) headed to the ISS
« on: 06/11/2016 05:48 am »
"The U.S. Air Force has funded a test flight of the ROSA mechanism, now scheduled for a SpaceX launch in Spring 2017 (SpX-11) to the International Space Station, where it will be deployed in space."

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/roll-out-solar-array-technology-benefits-for-nasa-commercial-sector
« Last Edit: 06/11/2016 06:33 am by manboy »
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 134
  • Likes Given: 544
Re: Roll Out Solar Array (ROSA) headed to the ISS
« Reply #1 on: 06/11/2016 05:50 am »
"ROSA is stowed in the trunk of the SpaceX’s Dragon capsule during launch. Once on orbit, the ISS robotic arm removes ROSA from the Dragon trunk and temporarily stows it on an ELC. When ROSA operations are ready to begin, the ROSA is picked up by the ISS robotics arm and located in its operations location. The ROSA operations are conducted while attached to the SSRMS/SPDM for a duration of 7 days."

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/2139.html
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 3974
  • Likes Given: 220
« Reply #2 on: 06/11/2016 07:20 am »
Useful I would think for interplanetary probes that need vast arrays when sent to Jupiter and beyond

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1879
  • Likes Given: 1023
« Reply #3 on: 06/11/2016 10:55 am »
Useful I would think for interplanetary probes that need vast arrays when sent to Jupiter and beyond

It would also be useful in the immediate future for the X-37B flights, increasing power and/or reducing size/weight.

Also the same for any AF birds as well (like AEHF)

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #4 on: 06/11/2016 01:08 pm »
A little confused why the AF calls it a "success story" before it's even tested in space...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 4620
« Reply #5 on: 06/11/2016 04:29 pm »
A little confused why the AF calls it a "success story" before it's even tested in space...

Yeah, that's not a news release, it's a PR pamphlet.

C'mon, guys, let's not start congratulating ourselves before we've actually, like, accomplished anything... ;)

edit/Lar: soften
« Last Edit: 06/12/2016 09:55 pm by Lar »
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 25240
  • Likes Given: 12115
« Reply #6 on: 06/12/2016 01:31 am »
Useful for like everything in orbit inside of Neptune. ~Everything in orbit is solar powered. Everything in orbit can benefit from either reduced mass or increased power.

It's hard to think of anything in orbit that WOULDN'T benefit. I suppose a Hubble-like telescope which needs extremely, ridiculously fine pointing might prefer something a little stiffer, but that's a pretty small list of things. And Hubble did fine for a few years with a similar array.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #7 on: 06/12/2016 01:51 am »
"ROSA is stowed in the trunk of the SpaceX’s Dragon capsule during launch. Once on orbit, the ISS robotic arm removes ROSA from the Dragon trunk and temporarily stows it on an ELC. When ROSA operations are ready to begin, the ROSA is picked up by the ISS robotics arm and located in its operations location. The ROSA operations are conducted while attached to the SSRMS/SPDM for a duration of 7 days."

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/2139.html

(My bold)
Does this mean that the array is thrown away after 7 days?

Offline JBF

• Liked: 472
  • Likes Given: 914
« Reply #8 on: 06/12/2016 03:15 am »
This is the best source I've found that explains how it maintains it's rigidity.   http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a444956.pdf  Does anyone have a link to any more information?
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but that’s the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Offline Nomadd

• Lower 48
  • Liked: 60430
  • Likes Given: 1305
« Reply #9 on: 06/12/2016 03:48 am »

It's hard to think of anything in orbit that WOULDN'T benefit. I suppose a Hubble-like telescope which needs extremely, ridiculously fine pointing might prefer something a little stiffer, but that's a pretty small list of things. And Hubble did fine for a few years with a similar array.
It was quite a way from "just fine" Almost half the observing time was affected by the array jitter. But the problem wasn't as much the flexible array as an improperly designed support arm.
Those who danced were thought to be quite insane by those who couldn't hear the music.

Offline Norm38

• Liked: 1272
  • Likes Given: 2317
« Reply #10 on: 03/17/2017 02:59 pm »
I was told in the CRS-11 thread that this will have a dummy load.  I'm curious how they plan to dump the waste heat.  Does it include a radiator assembly?

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 2762
  • Likes Given: 3369
« Reply #11 on: 03/24/2017 10:55 am »
I was told in the CRS-11 thread that this will have a dummy load.  I'm curious how they plan to dump the waste heat.  Does it include a radiator assembly?
I do not know any details, but it would be quite easy to construct a little canned device with a reflector, insulated on one side, and n*1kW halogen bulbs in it.
Pointed in the same direction as the solar cells, and it just emits heat back to the source.
Could be quite light indeed, no need for extensive low-temperature radiators.

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 1290
  • Likes Given: 775
« Reply #12 on: 04/01/2017 05:49 am »
"The U.S. Air Force has funded a test flight of the ROSA mechanism, now scheduled for a SpaceX launch in Spring 2017 (SpX-11) to the International Space Station, where it will be deployed in space."

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/roll-out-solar-array-technology-benefits-for-nasa-commercial-sector

It would be nice if we could get a less blurry image of the top picture (ROSA as packaged for ISS).
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 2762
  • Likes Given: 3369
« Reply #13 on: 04/07/2017 12:38 pm »
No reply to an email to the project leader at an airforce address on questions of watts and kilos and other things. I guess closer to launch, or even on orbit maybe.

Offline rerickson

• Anacortes, WA
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: 04/12/2017 06:14 pm »
Some details from this paper: the longerons are split tubes, flattened and rolled up lengthwise for launch. The Elastic Memory Composite material freezes in that configuration; sunlight is used to heat the outside of the roll, causing it to slowly extend and un-flatten into its original shape. I didn't read the entire paper, but it sounds like this allows deployment without a motor or speed-control device; clever!

This is the best source I've found that explains how it maintains it's rigidity.   http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a444956.pdf  Does anyone have a link to any more information?

Offline Riley1066

• Upstate New York
  • Liked: 11
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #15 on: 05/20/2017 12:43 pm »
It would be cool if they could figure out a way to permanently hook this up to the ISS power system after the experiment is over ...
Go at Throttle Up!

Offline Nilof

• Liked: 597
  • Likes Given: 707
« Reply #16 on: 05/20/2017 07:58 pm »
Do we know what the mass and power output of this prototype are? Also, I find it really cool that it's possible to fit a huge panel of this kind into the Dragon's trunk.
For a variable Isp spacecraft running at constant power and constant acceleration, the mass ratio is linear in delta-v.   Δv = ve0(MR-1). Or equivalently: Δv = vef PMF. Also, this is energy-optimal for a fixed delta-v and mass ratio.

Offline SWGlassPit

• I break space hardware
  • Liked: 893
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #17 on: 05/21/2017 02:07 am »
It would be cool if they could figure out a way to permanently hook this up to the ISS power system after the experiment is over ...

This one is a small scale tech demo, but stay tuned...

Offline mtlapointe

• SB, CA
  • Liked: 67
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #18 on: 06/01/2017 02:47 pm »
Hi all!

One of the Principal Investigators for the ISS Flight Experiment here. Glad to see so much interest in ROSA! Thought I could answer a few of your questions above:

Lar/the_other_doug:  Yes, this is our first demo of ROSA in space.  Our company is still fairly young, but we have fully qualified several different ROSA architectures on the ground. As you know, getting prime's to bite on new technology takes time, so hopefully this Flight Demo mission will lead to many more flight success stories.

Robotbeat:  We agree! Our main goal with ROSA is to decrease mass as much possible, while also decreasing cost and increasing reliability. We do get compared with the Hubble arrays, but it's important to note that our deployment boom are composite, so they do not suffer thermal snap issues like the Hubble arrays did. We also do not require any motors to deploy the array.

A_M_Swallow:  Yes, unfortunately after 7 days, we will retract our wing and get stowed back on the trunk for disposal. As part of safety requirements, we have to latch the array when we retract and cannot redeploy. There is no practical use of keeping us on station after that event.

Nommad:  The Hubble arrays used metallic stem deployment booms that suffered from thermal gradients. Our composite booms have very low CTE, and are very stable from hot to cold swings.

JBF/rerickson:  No, that design is not the same as ROSA.  We use composite booms that self-deploy with their own strain energy.  We don't use EMC materials.

Norm38/speedevil:  We do not have a radiator.  As with most solar arrays, heat is dumped from the backside of the array facing deep space.  This demo mission only has a couple active solar cell modules however. The majority is mass simulators.  Our primary objective of the mission is not to test power production capability, but rather the deployment mechanism.  We will not have great lighting due to our position on station during the demo, so it would be a waste of money to fully populate the array.

Riley1066/Nilof:  We only have a couple actual power producing solar cell modules for this demo, so there would be not practical use attaching to station. An array this size would be in the 2-3 kW range.  The mass of this demo array is a bit heavier than would be for a real mission - the booms are much larger to demonstrate scale-up capabilities and many metallic parts would be made from composites for a real mission.  Cost and safety precautions of ISS prevented us from using more composites.

The size of this demo was limited by our available room in the Dragon trunk.  We would have loved to test as large of a wing as possible.  Our ROSA technology could certainly be used to add additional power to ISS, and given more room in the trunk, we could pack in a much larger array.  We have many different configurations of ROSA, including a stowed folding version, that could pack twice the power in a similar stowed volume.

Also - I've attached a photo for you all of the stowed array from yesterday's media briefing.

Offline mtlapointe

• SB, CA
  • Liked: 67
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #19 on: 06/01/2017 02:59 pm »
I've also attached our Mission Patch for ROSA.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography