Author Topic: Roll Out Solar Array (ROSA) headed to the ISS  (Read 3443 times)

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 123
  • Likes Given: 539
Roll Out Solar Array (ROSA) headed to the ISS
« on: 06/11/2016 05:48 AM »
"The U.S. Air Force has funded a test flight of the ROSA mechanism, now scheduled for a SpaceX launch in Spring 2017 (SpX-11) to the International Space Station, where it will be deployed in space."

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/roll-out-solar-array-technology-benefits-for-nasa-commercial-sector
« Last Edit: 06/11/2016 06:33 AM by manboy »
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline manboy

• Texas, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 123
  • Likes Given: 539
Re: Roll Out Solar Array (ROSA) headed to the ISS
« Reply #1 on: 06/11/2016 05:50 AM »
"ROSA is stowed in the trunk of the SpaceXís Dragon capsule during launch. Once on orbit, the ISS robotic arm removes ROSA from the Dragon trunk and temporarily stows it on an ELC. When ROSA operations are ready to begin, the ROSA is picked up by the ISS robotics arm and located in its operations location. The ROSA operations are conducted while attached to the SSRMS/SPDM for a duration of 7 days."

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/2139.html
"Cheese has been sent into space before. But the same cheese has never been sent into space twice." - StephenB

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1044
  • Likes Given: 152
« Reply #2 on: 06/11/2016 07:20 AM »
Useful I would think for interplanetary probes that need vast arrays when sent to Jupiter and beyond

Offline Ronsmytheiii

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 423
  • Likes Given: 215
« Reply #3 on: 06/11/2016 10:55 AM »
Useful I would think for interplanetary probes that need vast arrays when sent to Jupiter and beyond

It would also be useful in the immediate future for the X-37B flights, increasing power and/or reducing size/weight.

Also the same for any AF birds as well (like AEHF)

Online Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 4347
  • Likes Given: 2936
« Reply #4 on: 06/11/2016 01:08 PM »
A little confused why the AF calls it a "success story" before it's even tested in space...
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline the_other_Doug

• Minneapolis, MN
  • Liked: 1449
  • Likes Given: 2481
« Reply #5 on: 06/11/2016 04:29 PM »
A little confused why the AF calls it a "success story" before it's even tested in space...

Yeah, that's not a news release, it's a PR pamphlet.

C'mon, guys, let's not start congratulating ourselves before we've actually, like, accomplished anything... ;)

edit/Lar: soften
« Last Edit: 06/12/2016 09:55 PM by Lar »
-Doug  (With my shield, not yet upon it)

Offline Robotbeat

• Minnesota
  • Liked: 5812
  • Likes Given: 4321
« Reply #6 on: 06/12/2016 01:31 AM »
Useful for like everything in orbit inside of Neptune. ~Everything in orbit is solar powered. Everything in orbit can benefit from either reduced mass or increased power.

It's hard to think of anything in orbit that WOULDN'T benefit. I suppose a Hubble-like telescope which needs extremely, ridiculously fine pointing might prefer something a little stiffer, but that's a pretty small list of things. And Hubble did fine for a few years with a similar array.
Chris  Whoever loves correction loves knowledge, but he who hates reproof is stupid.

To the maximum extent practicable, the Federal Government shall plan missions to accommodate the space transportation services capabilities of United States commercial providers. US law http://goo.gl/YZYNt0

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 227
  • Likes Given: 84
« Reply #7 on: 06/12/2016 01:51 AM »
"ROSA is stowed in the trunk of the SpaceXís Dragon capsule during launch. Once on orbit, the ISS robotic arm removes ROSA from the Dragon trunk and temporarily stows it on an ELC. When ROSA operations are ready to begin, the ROSA is picked up by the ISS robotics arm and located in its operations location. The ROSA operations are conducted while attached to the SSRMS/SPDM for a duration of 7 days."

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/experiments/2139.html

(My bold)
Does this mean that the array is thrown away after 7 days?

Offline JBF

• Liked: 324
  • Likes Given: 416
« Reply #8 on: 06/12/2016 03:15 AM »
This is the best source I've found that explains how it maintains it's rigidity.   http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a444956.pdf  Does anyone have a link to any more information?
"In principle, rocket engines are simple, but thatís the last place rocket engines are ever simple." Jeff Bezos

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 2402
  • Likes Given: 174
« Reply #9 on: 06/12/2016 03:48 AM »

It's hard to think of anything in orbit that WOULDN'T benefit. I suppose a Hubble-like telescope which needs extremely, ridiculously fine pointing might prefer something a little stiffer, but that's a pretty small list of things. And Hubble did fine for a few years with a similar array.
It was quite a way from "just fine" Almost half the observing time was affected by the array jitter. But the problem wasn't as much the flexible array as an improperly designed support arm.

Offline Norm38

• Liked: 249
  • Likes Given: 341
« Reply #10 on: 03/17/2017 02:59 PM »
I was told in the CRS-11 thread that this will have a dummy load.  I'm curious how they plan to dump the waste heat.  Does it include a radiator assembly?

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 103
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #11 on: 03/24/2017 10:55 AM »
I was told in the CRS-11 thread that this will have a dummy load.  I'm curious how they plan to dump the waste heat.  Does it include a radiator assembly?
I do not know any details, but it would be quite easy to construct a little canned device with a reflector, insulated on one side, and n*1kW halogen bulbs in it.
Pointed in the same direction as the solar cells, and it just emits heat back to the source.
Could be quite light indeed, no need for extensive low-temperature radiators.

Offline jcm

• Jonathan McDowell
  • Somerville, Massachusetts, USA
    • Jonathan's Space Report
  • Liked: 302
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #12 on: 04/01/2017 05:49 AM »
"The U.S. Air Force has funded a test flight of the ROSA mechanism, now scheduled for a SpaceX launch in Spring 2017 (SpX-11) to the International Space Station, where it will be deployed in space."

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/roll-out-solar-array-technology-benefits-for-nasa-commercial-sector

It would be nice if we could get a less blurry image of the top picture (ROSA as packaged for ISS).
-----------------------------

Jonathan McDowell
http://planet4589.org

Offline speedevil

• Fife
  • Liked: 103
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #13 on: 04/07/2017 12:38 PM »
No reply to an email to the project leader at an airforce address on questions of watts and kilos and other things. I guess closer to launch, or even on orbit maybe.

Offline rerickson

• Anacortes, WA
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #14 on: 04/12/2017 06:14 PM »
Some details from this paper: the longerons are split tubes, flattened and rolled up lengthwise for launch. The Elastic Memory Composite material freezes in that configuration; sunlight is used to heat the outside of the roll, causing it to slowly extend and un-flatten into its original shape. I didn't read the entire paper, but it sounds like this allows deployment without a motor or speed-control device; clever!

This is the best source I've found that explains how it maintains it's rigidity.   http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a444956.pdf  Does anyone have a link to any more information?

Tags: