Author Topic: Space Ship Two - General Thread (3)  (Read 87859 times)

Offline Falcon H

• Liked: 90
  • Likes Given: 132
Re: Space Ship Two - General Thread (3)
« Reply #160 on: 03/22/2017 04:06 PM »
But there's something unique about the arrogance that this one particular company is radiating that's been pissing me off ever since I saw Burt Rutan dump all over Jeff Greason in Jeff's own hangar in the middle of an XCOR press event.

I've never heard about this...could you elaborate?
"Sooner or later, we must expand life beyond our little blue mud ball--or go extinct" Elon Musk

Offline meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 4050
  • Likes Given: 830
« Reply #161 on: 03/22/2017 04:19 PM »
But there's something unique about the arrogance that this one particular company is radiating that's been pissing me off ever since I saw Burt Rutan dump all over Jeff Greason in Jeff's own hangar in the middle of an XCOR press event.

It's just an anecdote, but IMO it spoke volumes.  I am not affiliated with XCOR, but was there when Greason was explaining to the media about his approach and plans.  (This is many years ago, some time after SS1's flight).

In walks Rutan with a black leather jacket and all the "flyboy" attitude, and honest to goodness, the media folks just turned around, Greason had to stop, and Rutan went on a rant on how his approach is so much better.  It was embarrassing.  He had no business walking in, and even if he did, he should have told them they can talk to him later, since the CEO of the company he's just walked into is in mid-sentence.

Between this attitude, and Branson's, I personally (as the previous poster noted) lost all appetite for them, but I think that a lot of what they ran into was rooted at this sort of arrogance, so it's not just a "personal peeve". It affects decision making, lesson learning, etc.
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline Star One

• UK
  • Liked: 1335
  • Likes Given: 168
« Reply #162 on: 03/22/2017 06:51 PM »

It's just an anecdote, but IMO it spoke volumes.  I am not affiliated with XCOR, but was there when Greason was explaining to the media about his approach and plans.  (This is many years ago, some time after SS1's flight).

In walks Rutan with a black leather jacket and all the "flyboy" attitude, and honest to goodness, the media folks just turned around, Greason had to stop, and Rutan went on a rant on how his approach is so much better.  It was embarrassing.  He had no business walking in, and even if he did, he should have told them they can talk to him later, since the CEO of the company he's just walked into is in mid-sentence.

Between this attitude, and Branson's, I personally (as the previous poster noted) lost all appetite for them, but I think that a lot of what they ran into was rooted at this sort of arrogance, so it's not just a "personal peeve". It affects decision making, lesson learning, etc.

Entrepreneurs found to be arrogant on occasions, what a shocking revelation. Surely such an attitude can often come as part and parcel of such characters.

Maybe I could be perceived as too defensive on this, but then perhaps that's just a initial reaction to seeing a British company be bad mouthed.

Offline meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #163 on: 03/22/2017 07:28 PM »

Entrepreneurs found to be arrogant on occasions, what a shocking revelation. Surely such an attitude can often come as part and parcel of such characters.

Maybe I could be perceived as too defensive on this, but then perhaps that's just a initial reaction to seeing a British company be bad mouthed.
When I think British, I think "understated", self depracating humor, and bad teeth.  :)

The accent is sported by many who who are not worthy...

Offline Star One

• UK
« Reply #164 on: 03/22/2017 08:06 PM »

When I think British, I think "understated", self depracating humor, and bad teeth.  :)

So a stereotype then?

Offline meekGee

• N. California
« Reply #165 on: 03/23/2017 01:16 AM »

When I think British, I think "understated", self deprecating humor, and bad teeth.  :)

So a stereotype then?

Most certainly!

---

Otherwise, on a good day I get two out of three, but my accent is decidedly not British.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 2980
  • Likes Given: 984
« Reply #166 on: 04/02/2017 08:25 AM »
George Whitesides was interviewed on TMRO yesterday. Interview starts at about 20:50 into the show:

• UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #167 on: 04/02/2017 08:49 AM »
A few SS2 notes from the George Whitesides interview:

- Each SS2 is intended to last for about 10 years of operation, so hundreds of cycles
- Said all SS2 customers will get to space but he referenced the 50 miles threshold and not the 100 km in the question
- Talked about over 600 people who have paid some money [so at least a deposit?] to go on SS2. IIRC in the past - a few years ago - VG talked about nearly 700?
- On flight days expect to fly (early?) in the morning
- Vehicles designed to fly as often as every day. Aiming for once a week with initial commercial operation

Online TrevorMonty

« Reply #168 on: 04/02/2017 05:09 PM »
Do they have any more SS2 in production?.

Offline QuantumG

• Australia
  • Liked: 2976
  • Likes Given: 721
« Reply #169 on: 04/03/2017 02:53 AM »
 :'(
Jeff Bezos has billions to spend on rockets and can go at whatever pace he likes! Wow! What pace is he going at? Well... have you heard of Zeno's paradox?

• UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #170 on: 04/03/2017 02:45 PM »
Richard Branson says VG don't give dates any more and then effectively gives (a broad) one ...

“The test programme is going really well, and as long as we’ve got our brave test pilots pushing it to the limit we think that after whatever it is, 12 years of hard work, we’re nearly there.”
When exactly will he be nearly there? After all, Branson himself – and some of his family – have committed to being on the first flight.
“Well we stopped giving dates,” he confesses. “But I think I’d be very disappointed if we’re not into space with a test flight by the end of the year and I’m not into space myself next year and the progamme isn’t well underway by the end of next year.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/04/02/sir-richard-branson-vows-have-virgin-galactic-passengers-space/
« Last Edit: 04/03/2017 02:46 PM by FutureSpaceTourist »

• UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #171 on: 04/14/2017 05:11 PM »
Exclusive: Virgin Galactic Preps For Space Travel Technical Support

Virgin Galatic’s technical operations director reveals how the company is preparing the supply chain and aftermarket support functions for commercial space travel.

Paul Seidenman | Apr 13, 2017

http://www.mro-network.com/maintenance-repair-overhaul/exclusive-virgin-galactic-preps-space-travel-technical-support
« Last Edit: 04/14/2017 05:14 PM by FutureSpaceTourist »

• UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #172 on: 04/14/2017 07:52 PM »
Seems VG have a bit of a PR blitz on. Interview with Beth Moses about passenger training:

As chief astronaut instructor for Virgin Galactic, the former NASA aerospace engineer is in charge of training private future astronauts for their journey to space on board Virgin’s SpaceshipTwo

http://krqe.com/2017/04/13/space-tourists-to-train-in-new-mexico/

• UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #173 on: 04/27/2017 06:37 PM »
(1/3) One key part of building the world's first commercial spaceline? Having a superstar maintenance team.
https://twitter.com/virgingalactic/status/857663140879847424

(2/3) Kudos to our space wrenches, who earned us FAA Diamond Award of Excellence--something no commercial space company had ever received
https://twitter.com/virgingalactic/status/857663388918448129

(3/3) Special kudos to Tommy L & Javier G for earning individual Gold Awards--the only 2 in the entire Van Nuys FSDO Service Area to do so!
https://twitter.com/virgingalactic/status/857663642044682241

Online EgorBotts

• France
  • Liked: 63
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #174 on: 04/27/2017 09:42 PM »
Well, the VSS Unity doesn't seem to be ready to fly in a short period of time. Main gear is missing, the aircraft nosecone... I wonder if they are already taking steps to powered flights?

After all, they only did 3 free fly attempts, and only one in the last 4 months, which seems a short amount of data to me, yet there should be a reason for this type of delay between trials.

Offline Star One

• UK
Space Ship Two - General Thread (3)
« Reply #175 on: 04/28/2017 09:20 PM »
New Branson interview in which he says a whole lot of nothing.

Branson noncommittal about SpaceShipTwo flight schedule - See more at: http://spacenews.com/branson-noncommittal-about-spaceshiptwo-flight-schedule/#sthash.xrrIH3yi.dpuf
« Last Edit: 04/28/2017 09:22 PM by Star One »

Online Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 163
  • Likes Given: 170
« Reply #176 on: 05/01/2017 01:16 PM »
https://twitter.com/spacecom/status/859026248630116353
SpaceShipTwo Flight Test Scheduled for this Morning

Online Olaf

• Germany
  • Liked: 163
  • Likes Given: 170
« Reply #177 on: 05/01/2017 04:00 PM »
Confirmed by Virgin Galactic
https://twitter.com/virgingalactic/status/859073416229396480
Good morning from Mojave! We're gearing up for a potential #SpaceShipTwo flight test today.

• UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #178 on: 05/01/2017 04:42 PM »
#SpaceShipTwo and carrier just turni g onto runway 30.

https://twitter.com/spacecom/status/859083652939956224

• UK
    • Plan 28
« Reply #179 on: 05/01/2017 04:56 PM »
Take off! Another test flight is #SpaceShipTwo is underway. We’ll continue to provide live updates here on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/virgingalactic/status/859085980120133632

#SpaceShipTwo takeoff....
https://twitter.com/spacecom/status/859086183774666752 (picture attached)

Tags: