Author Topic: LIVE: Proton-M/Briz-M - EchoStar XXI - June 8, 2017 (03:45 UTC)  (Read 77591 times)

Offline northenarc

• United States
  • Liked: 238
  • Likes Given: 563
 Thanks for coverage Chris and Steven, I was having trouble getting good feeds for some reason. I'll hold the applause until Briz-M has done its job, but Proton seemed to be looking good.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
Thanks for coverage Chris and Steven, I was having trouble getting good feeds for some reason.

Thanks. Youtube was smooth, but the Russian feed was stop and go for me as well. Would be nice if Roscosmos set up a Youtube live channel like NASA.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4672
  • Likes Given: 768
Thanks for coverage Chris and Steven, I was having trouble getting good feeds for some reason.

Thanks. Youtube was smooth, but the Russian feed was stop and go for me as well. Would be nice if Roscosmos set up a Youtube live channel like NASA.
they have one but streams are set private/unlisted.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
The second burn should be happening now. Cutoff should be in about three minutes.
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
Confirmation that the second burn was successful.

#EchoStarXXI 2nd main engine burn completed successfully. Next update in 2.25 hours. http://bit.ly/2guVHxc

https://twitter.com/ILSLaunch/status/872684422608367616

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
The third burn should be starting now at 7:12:59 UTC and last for 9 minutes 37 seconds.

APT Jettison occurs 50 seconds later at 7:23:26 UTC.

The fourth burn begins 1 minute 35 seconds later at 7:25:01 UTC and ends 7 minutes 52 seconds later at 7:32:53 UTC.
« Last Edit: 06/08/2017 07:19 am by Steven Pietrobon »

Offline Artyom.

• Liked: 1416
  • Likes Given: 135

Offline Artyom.

Offline Artyom.

Offline Artyom.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
Its been 20 minutes since the fourth burn should have ended. No word from ILS yet.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
OK, good news! I was getting worried.

#EchoStarXXI 3rd & 4th main engine burns completed successfully. Next update in 5 hours. http://bit.ly/2guVHxc

https://twitter.com/ILSLaunch/status/872724447089872897

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
Here's the schedule for the last burn. Fifth ignition is at 12:37:58 UTC for 4 minutes 26 seconds. Separation occurs 15 minutes 36 seconds later at 12:58 UTC.

Offline fs10inator

• Любитель говна.
  • Lahore
  • Liked: 55
  • Likes Given: 89
I'll also be waiting for the final burn. ETA about 3 1/4 hours from now.
Hope you don't mind my STK depiction of the resultant orbit.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
The fifth burn should be starting now.

Offline fs10inator

• Любитель говна.
  • Lahore
We are now in Briz-M MES5
The final burn of the mission will reduce the inclination from 49.1° to 30.5°.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
The spacecraft should be separating from Briz-M about now.

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
Mission success!

#EchoStarXXI Spacecraft Separation!

https://twitter.com/ILSLaunch/status/872800527746306050

Congratulations to ILS and EchoStar for the successful launch and return to flight of Proton!
« Last Edit: 06/08/2017 01:02 pm by Steven Pietrobon »

Offline fs10inator

• Любитель говна.
  • Lahore
Spacecraft Separation

Offline eeergo

Congratulations to Echostar for finally getting their bird in orbit, and especially to Khrunichev and Voronezh for -apparently- ironing out some entrenched goblins in their vehicles with a (very) long-awaited successful return to flight!

It appears this is a Phase IV Proton variant according to posts up thread. Does anyone know what improvements were made? I've always been impressed at how the Proton just looks so grunty.
The article doesn't mention the upgrades. I was wondering with the shear mass of this payload and the fact the launch is using the latest Proton upgrades, perhaps the fixes that came out of the accident investigation may have incurred a slight performance loss which could have contributed to the delay? Happy to be shot down on this

According to SpaceFlight101's article on Intelsat 31's launch:

The Phase IV Proton uses a composite second stage forward bay, new five-axis milling techniques to reduce tolerances on the second stage and decrease the overall mass of the launcher. The third stage switched the metal alloy from which its tanks are manufactured and also features a composite instrument bay. Modifications of the Briz-M include weight reduction on the Telemetry System and an improved composite overwrapped pressure vessel tank design in the high-pressure section of the propulsion system. The Phase IV payload fairing uses optimized composite shell technology.

These changes are unrelated to the engine failure on last year's flight, so it's unlikely Phase IV upgrades and the quality control fixes (mainly related to the replacement of the solder joints in the gas generators) are related, even if the latter ones have meant performance losses (which they shouldn't have by themselves).
« Last Edit: 06/08/2017 01:12 pm by eeergo »
-DaviD-

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography