Author Topic: SpaceX Falcon 9 : Spaceflight SSO-A : December 3, 2018 - DISCUSSION  (Read 301128 times)

Offline deruch

• California
  • Liked: 2006
  • Likes Given: 5634
Does this mean three burns for the second stage, initial launch to 500-600 km, circularization in SSO, and pseudo-TLI or even four burns?
Has any Falcon second stage done three burns?   (Inject, circularization, disposal?)

Not sure about previous launches but Jason-3 just had 3 upper stage burns.  Sort of flew under the radar because it came around the time that NASA got confirmation of the solar panel deployment from tracking in Alaska.
Shouldn't reality posts be in "Advanced concepts"?  --Nomadd

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
Does this mean three burns for the second stage, initial launch to 500-600 km, circularization in SSO, and pseudo-TLI or even four burns?
Has any Falcon second stage done three burns?   (Inject, circularization, disposal?)

Not sure about previous launches but Jason-3 just had 3 upper stage burns.  Sort of flew under the radar because it came around the time that NASA got confirmation of the solar panel deployment from tracking in Alaska.

Unless you were paying attention and following along on NSF.  ;)   We certainly read about it here.

edit:  OG2 demonstrated direct injection (single second stage burn) into a high inclination orbit around 600 km altitude.  The flight in question for my post, taking the secondary payload from SSO to or near to TLI, could be done with two burns.  However a three burn launch would be more efficient, resulting in a higher transfer apogee with a lower required delta V for the lunar mission, and now three burns have been demonstrated.
« Last Edit: 01/22/2016 06:44 am by Comga »
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline hrissan

• Novosibirsk, Russia
  • Liked: 325
  • Likes Given: 2432

Unless you were paying attention and following along on NSF.  ;)   We certainly read about it here.

edit:  OG2 demonstrated direct injection (single second stage burn) into a high inclination orbit around 600 km altitude.  The flight in question for my post, taking the secondary payload from SSO to or near to TLI, could be done with two burns.  However a three burn launch would be more efficient, resulting in a higher transfer apogee with a lower required delta V for the lunar mission, and now three burns have been demonstrated.
Might there be enough propellant in F9 upper stage to crash into moon for science and fun?

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
  • Liked: 13885
  • Likes Given: 5933
This seems to be one of the payloads for the flight, EU:CROPIS, a small greenhouse growing tomatoes under simulated Lunar and then Martian gravity.

May 24, 2016 Project description at DLR
Feb 5, 2016 The Space Show episode on EU:CROPIS
Jul 8, 2014 Satnews article on the launch booking

Offline kevin-rf

• Elite Veteran
  • Overlooking the path Mary's little Lamb took..
  • Liked: 1318
  • Likes Given: 306
This seems to be one of the payloads for the flight, EU:CROPIS, a small greenhouse growing tomatoes under simulated Lunar and then Martian gravity.

May 24, 2016 Project description at DLR
Feb 5, 2016 The Space Show episode on EU:CROPIS
Jul 8, 2014 Satnews article on the launch booking

That may well be the first bio experiment under simulated mars and lunar gravity. Wonder if they will also be growing under earth g as a control. This is very exciting. I assume they are going to spin the payload.
If you're happy and you know it,
It's your med's!

Offline guckyfan

• Germany
  • Liked: 2332
  • Likes Given: 2891
I assume they are going to spin the payload.

Yes. At different times with different spin rates to simulate Mars and Moon gravity.

A video I had already posted in the Mars agriculture thread.

Offline FutureSpaceTourist

• Global Moderator
  • UK
    • Plan 28
  • Liked: 81684
  • Likes Given: 36941
DLR: Flight-model construction, yr late, now begun on Eu:CROPIS greenhouse sat; launch late 2017 on SpaceX Falcon 9.

https://twitter.com/pbdes/status/738646013427212289

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Tweet from Peter B. de Selding
Spaceflight: 90-sat Sherpa tug on Q4 SpaceX launch is sold out. Space available for Q4 2017 on dedicated Falcon 9.

Sun Synch Express now Q4 2017.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
This sounds like it might be on the Sun Synch Express...

SpaceNews: House panel irked by Air Force request for ORS-6 launch funds
In a letter dated July 1 to Congressional defense committees, Deborah Lee James, the secretary of the Air Force, said the Compact Ocean Wind Vector Radiometer, would launch in September 2017 as part of a rideshare mission. The launch is part of a previously undisclosed contract with Spaceflight Industries, which arranges rideshare launches.
« Last Edit: 08/12/2016 07:08 pm by gongora »

Offline wxmeddler

This sounds like it might be on the Sun Synch Express...

SpaceNews:

This would be correct.

Online Chris Bergin

Terra Bella and Spaceflight Industries Sign Agreement for Falcon 9 Launch for Small Imaging Satellites

Spaceflight’s 2017 SSO-A dedicated rideshare mission at near capacity with spacecraft from 10 countries 

SEATTLE, Oct. 11, 2016 - Spaceflight Industries, a next-generation space company enabling access to space and redefining global intelligence, announced today that Terra Bella has signed an agreement with its launch services entity, Spaceflight, for a SpaceX Falcon 9 launch of Terra Bella SkySats.

Terra Bella will be the co-lead on Spaceflight’s SSO-A dedicated rideshare mission scheduled to launch from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California in late 2017.

The SSO-A mission will transport both government and commercial microsats and cubesats, and is currently at 90 percent capacity with more than 20 payloads from 10 countries manifested aboard the rocket. Confirmed spacecraft include:

·         Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology’s (KAIST) NEXTSat-1 satellite, conducting scientific missions such as star formation and space storm measurements and also technology demonstration in space

·         Iceye’s innovative SAR (synthetic aperture radar) micro-satellite for all condition imaging

·         HawkEye 360’s first three formation-flying satellites to detect, characterize, and geolocate various RF signals worldwide

“We’re seeing a tide shift in the industry’s expectation for routine, reliable and affordable access to space,” said Curt Blake, president of Spaceflight. “The willingness of prominent commercial organizations to join forces for the advancement of global initiatives is very encouraging to the smallsat community, and to society as a whole.”

Aligning customers’ needs with available capacity and schedule, Spaceflight provides integrated launch services, including mission management, support hardware, payload integration and orbital deployment. Spaceflight has negotiated the launch of nearly 120 satellites with contracts to deploy more than 150 through 2018. The company is planning its largest launch – 89 spacecraft – to be deployed by its Sherpa tug from a Falcon 9 in 2017.

About Spaceflight

Spaceflight is revolutionizing the business of spaceflight by delivering a new model for accessing space. A comprehensive launch services and mission management provider, the company provides a straightforward and cost-effective suite of products and services including state-of-the-art satellite infrastructure, rideshare launch offerings, and global communications networks that enable commercial and government entities to achieve their mission goals, on time and on budget. A service offering of Spaceflight Industries in Seattle, Washington, Spaceflight provides its services through a global network of partners, ground stations and launch vehicle providers. For more information, visit www.spaceflight.com.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Online Chris Bergin

Spaceflight also pass on to us that:

Spaceflight’s SSO-A launch, the company’s first-ever dedicated rideshare mission, is scheduled to take off from Vandenberg Air Force Base in California in late 2017 aboard a SpaceX Falcon 9.

The mission is at 90 percent capacity and will carry both government and commercial microsats and cubesats. Other confirmed payloads include:

·         Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology’s (KAIST) NEXTSat-1 satellite

·         Iceye’s innovative SAR (synthetic aperture radar) micro-satellite

·         HawkEye 360’s first three formation-flying satellites
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
Any info, how many SkySats? There are two from the first batch left and six more from the second batch. So this launch can carry up to 8 satellites.

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
SpaceNews: Spaceflight to launch Terra Bella satellites on Falcon 9 mission
In an Oct. 11 interview, Curt Blake, president of Spaceflight, said he couldn’t provide the number of Terra Bella satellites that will fly on the mission, at the request of the company, other than “it’s more than one.”
While the announcement said that Terra Bella will be a “co-lead” on the SSO-A mission, Blake said that the company will be the only customer with that designation on the mission, giving it more control over the launch schedule.
SpaceIL, an Israeli group competing in the Google Lunar X Prize competition, had previously been named a primary payload for the flight, but Blake said their lunar lander will fly on another, unnamed launch.

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 618
  • Likes Given: 211
Odd we all missed this blog post from spaceflight industries.
http://www.spaceflight.com/model-preparation-sso/

They reseved a plywood mock-up of a new version of the CubeStack from LoadPath/Moog. My impression is that this rideshare adapter ring can accomodate six 6U cubesat deployers. That's 1.5x the capacity of the old cubestack design. It looks lighter weight then the old design, nice improvement.

For fun I estimated the weight of a loaded 6x 6U CubeStack.
I assume a loaded 6U dispenser weight is 15kg (2x3U; 5kg + 5kg / 6U 10kg + 5kg).
Six of these 6U dispensers make 90kg (6x15 | 200lb).
I assume the CubeStack has a 38.8" diameter and a height of about 10".
On top a small EELV payload of ~5000lb /~2mT can be placed.
So I guess the total weight of the 6x 6U Cubestack is 120-180kg (275-400lb).
My impression of the old cubestack is that it weight over 180kg (400lb).

I'm wondering if they also have plans for a 4x and 6x 12U CubeStack. 
4x 12U (30kg) is 120kg payload + deployers. Total weight 180-250kg (400-550lb)
6x 12U is 180 kg. Total weight 250-300kg (550-660lb).

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US

They reseved a plywood MDF mock-up of a new version of the CubeStack from LoadPath/Moog. My impression is that this rideshare adapter ring can accomodate six 6U cubesat deployers. That's 1.5x the capacity of the old cubestack design. It looks lighter weight then the old design, nice improvement.

I'm not so sure that's the diameter, it looks bigger to me.  The original CubeStack was sized for smaller launch vehicles.  This one might be EELV adapter sized?

Offline Rik ISS-fan

• the Netherlands
  • Liked: 618
  • Likes Given: 211
Gongora, thanks for correcting me. It's indeed made out of MDF. And the ring is most likely 62" (1.5748m) instead of 38.8" (0.98552m).

Offline russianhalo117

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4673
  • Likes Given: 768

They reseved a plywood MDF mock-up of a new version of the CubeStack from LoadPath/Moog. My impression is that this rideshare adapter ring can accomodate six 6U cubesat deployers. That's 1.5x the capacity of the old cubestack design. It looks lighter weight then the old design, nice improvement.

I'm not so sure that's the diameter, it looks bigger to me.  The original CubeStack was sized for smaller launch vehicles.  This one might be EELV adapter sized?

SHERPA adapters are designed for EELV launchers only.

DLR: Flight-model construction, yr late, now begun on Eu:CROPIS greenhouse sat; launch late 2017 on SpaceX Falcon 9.

https://twitter.com/pbdes/status/738646013427212289

http://www.space.com/35533-space-greenhouses-moon-mars-greenhouse.html

Online gongora

• Global Moderator
  • US
Spaceflight Industries [Feb. 28, 2017]
We are well underway in preparations for our Dedicated Rideshare launch on a Falcon 9 (SSO-A). Right now, our first milestones have been met and everything is running according to schedule. Our engineers are completing dry runs on our integration activities, using our detailed mockups. We’ve done our first actuations of the system and have successfully operated the separation system with our avionics.

The ESPA ring has arrived, and we will have a full engineering model to conduct tests. Other large structures will arrive to a new build facility this summer. We’ll keep you posted as we move into final assembly!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography