Author Topic: Pegasus barge completes refits for SLS transportation role  (Read 14292 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/08/pegasus-barge-completes-refits-sls-transportation/

By Chris Gebhardt with photos from Philip Sloss who went out to see Pegasus on behalf of NSF.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
Thanks for the great aticle guys! :) NASA took one look at the SLS drawings and said... "we're gonna need a bigger boat"... ;D
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7347
  • Likes Given: 3749
It’s a great story Chris. I really like the sizing descriptions for the barge and the amount of work that went into the modifications to enable it to carry the SLS core to MAF and then to KSC. That kind of information is usually not provided to the general readers and is normally only found on sites like this one. Great write-up. I read it eagerly.
Thanks
« Last Edit: 08/21/2015 06:53 pm by clongton »
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194

An excellent article--thanks for putting it together.  The last drawing/graphic implies the Pegasus barge is large enough to handle the 1B variant--will this in fact be the case?

Offline okan170

• Los Angeles
  • Liked: 6806
  • Likes Given: 1345

An excellent article--thanks for putting it together.  The last drawing/graphic implies the Pegasus barge is large enough to handle the 1B variant--will this in fact be the case?

The 1B core is the same, its really a bit counter-intuitive how long the core stage is!

Offline skymech231

• Out there thataway
  • Ft. Rucker, AL
  • Liked: 5
  • Likes Given: 32
Is the barge crewed while in tow? If so how many. And is there generators/compressors other gse on board?
Semper Fi

Online AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1599
  • Likes Given: 50
Is the barge crewed while in tow? If so how many. And is there generators/compressors other gse on board?

Don't know about crew, but there are three 200 kW generators on board to power whatever systems they have (being a barge it has no propulsion engines of its own).
« Last Edit: 08/22/2015 01:27 pm by AnalogMan »

Offline Endeavour_01

• Hazards & Risk Analyst in SC, USA
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 580
It’s a great story Chris. I really like the sizing descriptions for the barge and the amount of work that went into the modifications to enable it to carry the SLS core to MAF and then to KSC. That kind of information is usually not provided to the general readers and is normally only found on sites like this one. Great write-up. I read it eagerly.
Thanks

Exactly Clongton. There is so much good information on this site that on occasion I will post something I thought was news only to be told it was reported here two months ago.  ;)

Another excellent article. I am so glad to see all these things come together for the SLS program. Thanks to Chris G., Phillip, and Chris B.
I cheer for both NASA and commercial space. For SLS, Orion, Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Dragon, Starship/SH, Starliner, Cygnus and all the rest!
I was blessed to see the launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour on STS-99. The launch was beyond amazing. My 8-year old mind was blown. I remember the noise and seeing the exhaust pour out of the shuttle as it lifted off. I remember staring and watching it soar while it was visible in the clear blue sky. It was one of the greatest moments of my life and I will never forget it.

Offline PahTo

• Port Angeles
  • Liked: 271
  • Likes Given: 1194

The 1B core is the same, its really a bit counter-intuitive how long the core stage is!

Thanks Okan--allow me to be more specific with my question:
is Pegasus big enough to haul the core AND the EUS at the same time, or will it take two trips to assemble a 1B variant?
I take it from your answer, and looking at that last image again that I'm seeing the interstage and LOX tank of the core, and thus the answer is no.  I just answered my own question (and feel a bit silly for asking now that I look at the image again...)
:)

Offline MP99

"Once ground support equipment needed to safely transport the SLS core stage is accounted for, the transport weight of the SLS core will be 600,000 lbs greater than the shipping weight of the Shuttle External Tank."

That extra 300t must be mostly GSE?

What is it?

Cheers, Martin

Online Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
Re: Pegasus barge completes refits for SLS transportation role
« Reply #10 on: 08/24/2015 07:57 am »
That 272 t includes 100 t for the SLS core. The support structures, which includes the wheeled bases must be then 172 t.
« Last Edit: 08/24/2015 07:59 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline sdsds

• “With peace and hope for all mankind.”
  • Seattle
  • Liked: 2050
  • Likes Given: 1962
« Reply #11 on: 08/25/2015 02:39 am »
 Shared on Facebook by "NASA's Space Launch System"
— 𝐬𝐝𝐒𝐝𝐬 —

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #12 on: 05/17/2017 02:26 am »
bump.....
Meet the Crew of NASA's Barge Pegasus

NASA's Marshall Center
Published on May 16, 2017

The first Space Launch System hardware from NASA's Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans just arrived at NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, Alabama. We take a minute to introduce you to the crew of NASA's barge Pegasus. The crew made an 18-day journey on the barge leaving New Orleans on April 28 and arriving at Marshall on May 15. The barge delivered a structural test version of the core stage engine section of SLS, NASA's new heavy-lift rocket. Pegasus will deliver four test articles of the rocket's core stage to Marshall for tests that will simulate the forces experienced during launch. Pegasus will later ferry the flight-ready core stage to NASA’s Stennis Space Center near Bay St. Louis, Mississippi, for testing and then to NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida for integration of the SLS flight vehicle in the Vehicle Assembly Building.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Offline catdlr

• Enthusiast since the Redstones
  • Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 8785
  • Likes Given: 7815
« Reply #13 on: 05/17/2017 02:31 am »
360 Video of the Barge Pegasus!

NASA's Marshall Center
Published on May 16, 2017

The barge Pegasus, carrying a structural test version of the massive SLS rocket's engine section, arrived at NASA’s Marshall Space Flight Center on May 15 after a 1,240-mile voyage from NASA's Michoud Assembly Facility in New Orleans. The barge left Michoud on April 28. The delivery -- the first of major SLS hardware from Michoud to Marshall -- marks a critical milestone toward the first integrated flight of the SLS rocket and NASA's Orion spacecraft, and a step closer to sending humans to deep space destinations, including Mars.

NASA modified Pegasus to accommodate the SLS rocket's core stage, increasing the barge's length and weight-carrying capacity. The SLS rocket's core stage is 50 feet longer than the space shuttle external tank.

Tony De La Rosa, ...I'm no Feline Dealer!! I move mountains.  but I'm better known for "I think it's highly sexual." Japanese to English Translation.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography