Author Topic: ASDS support ship activities thread  (Read 33750 times)

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
  • Liked: 2191
  • Likes Given: 444
Re: ASDS support ship activities thread
« Reply #40 on: 02/22/2016 08:56 PM »
Fairing recovery?

Possible, they may start initial tests, as interest was expressed in it before.

That gets my vote, too. They may have a little surprise in store for us.
« Last Edit: 02/22/2016 08:57 PM by Kabloona »

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 821
« Reply #41 on: 02/28/2016 04:30 PM »
Some pictures from back in port a few weeks ago.  Not mine, just stumbled upon.

http://imgur.com/gallery/zhvzx

Offline OnWithTheShow

• Philadelphia, PA
  • Liked: 95
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #42 on: 03/06/2016 09:24 PM »
So with the RCS visible from the fairings in launch video does it reinforce that GO Searcher is out supporting fairing recovery experiments?

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
« Reply #43 on: 03/07/2016 03:11 AM »
That would be nice.  I've heard rumor of jets from the fairing halves in three places now but not seen it.  Can someone link the video?

edit: suggest we move any fairing discussion if it erupts into the fairing recovery thread that has been dormant for a while.  http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=37727.0

edit2: I've reposted these three posts there.
« Last Edit: 03/07/2016 03:35 AM by OxCartMark »

Offline Gliderflyer

« Reply #44 on: 03/07/2016 03:15 AM »
That would be nice.  I've heard rumor of jets from the fairing halves in three places now but not seen it.  Can someone link the video?
This video has a good view of the jets: 
I tried it at home

Offline 411rocket

• Retired RCEME w/ tours in Cyprus, Croatia, Bosnia
  • Vancouver Island
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 114
« Reply #45 on: 03/07/2016 06:17 AM »
This video has a good view of the jets: 

Nice view of 1st stage RCS firings.

Still wondering, if chutes were packed, into the fairing halves & if so, did they come down intact?

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
« Reply #46 on: 04/01/2016 06:28 PM »
So what is up with American Champion?  Refer back to page 1 of this thread.  There was a little confusion about it maybe having been involved in a search for CRS-7s Dragon but that was due to a misunderstanding of the last post being old.  Then we had some images showing it was making round trips to take dredged material from the port out to sea.  But it doesn't seem to be doing that now, its parked next to Go Searcher.  Here is the kicker for me, and maybe some of you guys knew this before when American Champion was being discussed or maybe not but it just dawned on me - American Champion was used by SpaceX in recovering some of the Dragons from the Pacific.  Yea, that Pacific way over there.  So now it in Port Canaveral and sitting next to a ship working for SpaceX.  What are the odds?  Why?  Or is this another American Champion?

Also, EIII, GS, AChamp all seem to be on the Fishlips side of the harbor and GQ looks to be on the ASDS side.

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #47 on: 04/01/2016 08:51 PM »
Also, EIII, GS, AChamp all seem to be on the Fishlips side of the harbor and GQ looks to be on the ASDS side.

Are you sure about EIII? My MarineTraffic app shows EIII *was* there 7 days ago but is now out of range.

Offline Ohsin

• Liked: 1449
  • Likes Given: 2381
« Reply #48 on: 04/02/2016 01:02 AM »
So what is up with American Champion?  Refer back to page 1 of this thread.  There was a little confusion about it maybe having been involved in a search for CRS-7s Dragon but that was due to a misunderstanding of the last post being old.  Then we had some images showing it was making round trips to take dredged material from the port out to sea.  But it doesn't seem to be doing that now, its parked next to Go Searcher.  Here is the kicker for me, and maybe some of you guys knew this before when American Champion was being discussed or maybe not but it just dawned on me - American Champion was used by SpaceX in recovering some of the Dragons from the Pacific.  Yea, that Pacific way over there.  So now it in Port Canaveral and sitting next to a ship working for SpaceX.  What are the odds?  Why?  Or is this another American Champion?

That was American Islander.
"Well, three cheers to Sharma, but our real baby is INSAT."

Offline OxCartMark

• Michigan
« Reply #49 on: 04/02/2016 04:56 AM »
Are you sure about EIII? My MarineTraffic app shows EIII *was* there 7 days ago but is now out of range.
What I'm seeing on MarineTraffic is that it came in from the SE on 3/24 and tied up on the Fishlip side (not necessarily near Fishlips, I just like calling it the Fishlip side for some reason) and bobed and weaved there until the 25th, didn't move and the transponder was turned off on the 25th.  It would have (should have) been turned back on if they had moved.  I do see the words out of range but that's just what is says when there is no signal.

That was American Islander.
You are correct.  I am much less so.

Offline Ohsin

« Reply #50 on: 04/30/2016 07:18 AM »
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=39766.msg1526039#msg1526039
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=39766.msg1526042#msg1526042

Thanks for those images Jim. I think there are two winches on Go Searcher. One under the hanging boat and other on deck port side. What do people think about fairing recovery procedure?

Offline Kabloona

• Velocitas Eradico
  • Fortress of Solitude
« Reply #51 on: 04/30/2016 09:42 AM »
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=39766.msg1526039#msg1526039
https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=39766.msg1526042#msg1526042

Thanks for those images Jim. I think there are two winches on Go Searcher. One under the hanging boat and other on deck port side. What do people think about fairing recovery procedure?

I'm wondering why they don't have a crane on the stern to lift the fairing over the edge of the transom.

Online dorkmo

• Liked: 292
  • Likes Given: 744
« Reply #52 on: 04/30/2016 07:37 PM »
perhaps theyd just tow the fairing as it floats behind Searcher. The only specialized equipment we see is the air compressor. Saw them welding near the water at the back, is the half pipe new?

Offline cscott

• Liked: 1658
  • Likes Given: 656
« Reply #53 on: 05/01/2016 01:45 AM »
Perhaps they are primarily doing telemetry capture and photography, since the fairings are over the horizon from Canaveral.  Once/if the fairings actually make it to the surface nearer-to-intact perhaps they'll worry about actual recovery?

Offline Ohsin

« Last Edit: 05/08/2016 09:17 PM by Ohsin »

Offline CyndyC

« Reply #55 on: 07/06/2016 02:02 PM »
Does anyone know why Go Quest would be in Jacksonville? I got an email alert at 8:36AM EDT when they must have entered the mouth of the St Johns River, because they were about halfway between there and Blount Island traveling at 6.6 knots a couple of minutes ago, and even more interesting, they now appear to be either stopping or turning north into a branch called Clapboard Creek.
"Once a Blue, always a Blue." -- USN/USMC Flight Demonstration Squadron

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
  • Liked: 596
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #56 on: 07/06/2016 06:09 PM »
There is a large BAE Systems building near where they are docked. Maybe they are upgrading their tracking and controll systems.
I reject your reality and substitute my own--Doctor Who

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
« Reply #57 on: 07/08/2016 01:57 AM »
Go Quest has moved.
Looks like it is in a dry dock.
http://www.marinetraffic.com

Offline Scylla

• Clinton NC, USA
« Reply #58 on: 07/13/2016 10:54 PM »

Online CJ

• Liked: 558
  • Likes Given: 173
« Reply #59 on: 01/15/2017 11:35 PM »
It's worth noting that NRC Quest's current northbound speed of 5.5 knots toward Long Beach is a bit incongruous if indeed it is towing JRTI. That speed is speed over ground, NOT speed through the water. And in that location, they are taking the California Current head on.

Edit: It's not towing JRTI, it's not a tow ship (I was wrong), but the same speed issue applies of it's steaming in formation with the ASDS.

On the other hand, looks like the California current is about 1/3 of a knot there, so my whole premise may be off.
« Last Edit: 01/16/2017 12:27 AM by CJ »

Tags: