Author Topic: Caroll Spinney (Big Bird), potential Shuttle Space Flight Participant?  (Read 3945 times)

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7344
  • Likes Given: 71418
I was researching on a different topic and came across a mention of the recently-released documentary, I Am Big Bird: The Caroll Spinney Story.
http://www.iambigbird.com

The news coverage in May draws attention to Spinney's claim that he was invited to fly aboard the Space Shuttle as Big Bird, but that he was replaced by Teacher-in-Space, Christa McAuliffe, aboard the ill-fated STS-51L flight.

I then found the collectSpace thread that editor Robert Pearlman started on this topic:
http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum38/HTML/001881.html

Part of the follow-up news from NASA confirms that there were initial conversations between NASA and Sesame Street (Children's Television Workshop?).

Mr. Pearlman was investigating further.

I know that many people here on NSF also read or participate on cS (including Robert Pearlman).

But, in case there is someone with knowledge of the topic, but missed the Big Bird news on collectSpace (or elsewhere), I composed this post here.  Can any NSFers, or their contacts, shed additional light on this story?

As a larger topic, is there a list of potential Space Flight Participants from this era?  Example: There was to be a Journalist-in-Space, but the final selection was never made.  (If necessary, replies could be made into a new thread.)

Respectfully,
Zubenelgenubi
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7344
  • Likes Given: 71418
RIP
Remembering Legendary Puppeteer Caroll Spinney, December 8, 2019
Caroll Spinney, the legendary puppeteer behind beloved Sesame Street characters Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch, died today, December 8th 2019, at age 85 at his home in Connecticut, after living with Dystonia for some time.

Caroll was an artistic genius whose kind and loving view of the world helped shape and define Sesame Street from its earliest days in 1969 through five decades, and his legacy here at Sesame Workshop and in the cultural firmament will be unending. His enormous talent and outsized heart were perfectly suited to playing the larger-than-life yellow bird who brought joy to generations of children and countless fans of all ages around the world, and his lovably cantankerous grouch gave us all permission to be cranky once in a while.

Welcomed to Sesame Street by Jim Henson, Caroll thrived under a mentorship that led to a decades-long great friendship. Caroll’s unparalleled career saw Big Bird visit China with Bob Hope, dance with the Rockettes, be celebrated with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame and a U.S. postage stamp, and named a “Living Legend” by the Library of Congress. A favorite highlight for Caroll was conducting symphony orchestras and performing with them across the United States, Australia, and China, allowing him to personally connect with families everywhere through the music of Sesame Street. Caroll Spinney gave something truly special to the world. With deepest admiration, Sesame Workshop is proud to carry his memory – and his beloved characters – into the future. Our hearts go out to Caroll’s beloved wife, Debra, and all of his children and grandchildren.

Sesame Street co-founder Joan Ganz Cooney said of her longtime colleague and friend, “Caroll Spinney’s contributions to Sesame Street are countless. He not only gave us Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch, he gave so much of himself as well. We at Sesame Workshop mourn his passing and feel an immense gratitude for all he has given to Sesame Street and to children around the world.”
« Last Edit: 12/28/2019 07:36 pm by zubenelgenubi »
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline EGREG51

• Sioux Falls SD
  • Liked: 13
  • Likes Given: 1
Patrick Templeton who was in charge of external relations for NASA in 1984 and was one of the key decision makers that Jim Beggs NASA administrator, leaned on regarding the development of the NASA Observer program has personally informed me that Mr. Spinney was never considered as a candidate.    Any discussions that might have been had between NASA and Mr. Spinney's representatives were preliminary and never reached the level of decision makers at NASA.    The list provided to me regarding some of the more interesting candidates and participants in the NASA observer program are:

Journalist in Space Candidates

Theresa M. Anzur,  Caroline T. Marotta,  James S. Asker, Michael R. Masterson, A. Blaine Baggett, Jay Mathews, Jay Barbree, Lee N. McEachern, Marcia F. Bartusiak, Robert A. Navias, William B. Blakemore, Charles W. Petit, Frederic K. Conover, Paul H. Recer ,Walter K. Cronkite, Peter M. Rinearson, Morton N. Dean, Roger Rosenblatt, Diane L. Eicher, Alexander H. Rossiter, Joan M. Esposito, Storer H. Rowley ,Timothy T. Ferris, Ann K. Sawyer, Jerry M. Flint, Barry D. Serafin, Michael W. Gold, Lynn B. Sherr,  Stanley S. Grossfield, Colice Kathryn Sherrod, Richard Hart, James J. Snyder, Paul G. Hayes, Barbara M. Stanton, Hal Higdon, Robert M. White, John C. Hockenberry, John Noble Wilford, James J. Klobuchar, James T. Wooten

Congressional Observers

Sen. Edwin Jacob (Jake) Garn (Rep. - Utah) - 51D
Rep. Clarence William Nelson (Dem. - Florida) - 61C
 Sen. Slade Gorton (Rep. - Wash. State)
 Rep. Don Fuqua (Dem. - Florida)

Teacher in Space

Sharon Christa McAuliffe  - STS-51L
Barbara Radding Morgan - STS-51L
Kathleen Anne Beres ,Robert S. Forester, Judith Marie Garcia, Margaret J. Lathlaen, David M. Marquart ,Michael W. Metcalf, Richard A. Methia, Nancy L. Mason Wenger

Department of Defense/USAF Observers

Under Sec. – Edward “Pete” C Aldridge - STS-62A/P
 Sys. Command - Lawrence Albert Skantze

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography