Author Topic: Fairing reuse  (Read 974340 times)

Offline cscott

• Liked: 2867
  • Likes Given: 726
Re: Fairing reuse
« Reply #900 on: 04/22/2017 10:02 pm »
SpaceX‏ Verified account @SpaceX 16m16 minutes ago

View from the fairing during SES-10 mission. #EarthDay pic.twitter.com/zPYQRQ3BkR

Really cool.  Probably dumb question... Do we know if this is the half that was recovered?
That's probably a safe assumption.  It's also probably a safe assumption that SpaceX has the complete video footage that this frame was taken from.

Offline CharlieWildman

• A small island north of Seattle
  • Liked: 76
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #901 on: 04/23/2017 02:32 am »

View from the fairing during SES-10 mission. #EarthDay pic.twitter.com/zPYQRQ3BkR

Really cool.  Probably dumb question... Do we know if this is the half that was recovered?
That's probably a safe assumption.  It's also probably a safe assumption that SpaceX has the complete video footage that this frame was taken from.

My assumption also.  The instant I saw the image I started looking for hardware that might have been used for recovery.  Not seeing anything obvious I started wondering enough to ask the question.  I do realize that the obvious stuff is probably up near the nose of the fairing and out of sight of the camera.

Here is a comparison showing the SES 10 fairing (inset) and a frame from the video SpaceX released a while back.
Some small differences but I have no idea if they are mission specific or related to recovery.

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #902 on: 04/23/2017 03:44 am »

I don't know but since they can't broadcast from a fairing half and we know from past recoveries that SpaceX mounts GoPros in fairings, this must be from the recovered half.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline hrissan

• Novosibirsk, Russia
  • Liked: 325
  • Likes Given: 2432
« Reply #903 on: 04/23/2017 08:46 am »

Cute!

Can someone enlighten us what we see? My guess: 3 light tubes in the middle carry compressed gas/liquid to 2 pushers (sticking up from the edges), while black wires carry current to electric latches.

The batteries and gas tank should be at the fairing tip... together with recovery hardware.

Or may be those 3 light "tubes" are actually the paraglider strings attached to fairing aft?

Offline john smith 19

• Everyplaceelse
  • Liked: 2430
  • Likes Given: 13605
« Reply #904 on: 04/23/2017 09:02 am »
Can someone enlighten us what we see? My guess: 3 light tubes in the middle carry compressed gas/liquid to 2 pushers (sticking up from the edges), while black wires carry current to electric latches.

The batteries and gas tank should be at the fairing tip... together with recovery hardware.

Or may be those 3 light "tubes" are actually the paraglider strings attached to fairing aft?
Yes that seems about right. That would put them behind the camera.

You expect rockets to be quite crammed with equipment but the fairing looks very "clean," with no obvious lumps of hardware bolted on in shot.

That said with the flight path well defined it seems likely you could get away with GPS and some attitude sensors for the fairing to work out when to open 'chutes. While they separate around booster MECO so are a long way from orbit it would still seem like a good idea to keep the weight down.
MCT ITS BFR SS. The worlds first Methane fueled FFSC engined CFRP SS structure A380 sized aerospaceplane tail sitter capable of Earth & Mars atmospheric flight.First flight to Mars by end of 2022 TBC. T&C apply. Trust nothing. Run your own #s "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof" R. Simberg."Competitve" means cheaper ¬cheap SCramjet proposed 1956. First +ve thrust 2004. US R&D spend to date > $10Bn. #deployed designs. Zero.

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
  • A large LEGO storage facility ... in Michigan
  • Liked: 11864
  • Likes Given: 11086
« Reply #905 on: 04/23/2017 12:15 pm »

I don't know but since they can't broadcast from a fairing half and we know from past recoveries that SpaceX mounts GoPros in fairings, this must be from the recovered half.

I was ready to fire off a similar post (saying it had to be from the recovered half) when I remembered that vid (that the comparision still came from). Wasn't that transmitted from an unrecovered fairing? If so we can't be sure this still is from the recovered half.

(if it isn't then it's possible not all the equipment is present on this half making our sleuthing harder, LOL)
« Last Edit: 04/23/2017 12:17 pm by Lar »
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline cscott

« Reply #906 on: 04/23/2017 01:24 pm »

I was ready to fire off a similar post (saying it had to be from the recovered half) when I remembered that vid (that the comparision still came from). Wasn't that transmitted from an unrecovered fairing? If so we can't be sure this still is from the recovered half.

(if it isn't then it's possible not all the equipment is present on this half making our sleuthing harder, LOL)
IIRC the previous video came from an "unrecovered" fairing that happened to wash up on a beach with camera housing intact.

Offline Kaputnik

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 722
  • Likes Given: 821
« Reply #907 on: 04/23/2017 04:09 pm »
It's feasible that the Go-Pros are mounted in pods that allow them a decent chance of survival. I mean, I know the standard Go-Pro is pretty tough, but not that tough.
"I don't care what anything was DESIGNED to do, I care about what it CAN do"- Gene Kranz

Offline CharlieWildman

• A small island north of Seattle
  • Liked: 76
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #908 on: 04/23/2017 04:29 pm »
It's feasible that the Go-Pros are mounted in pods that allow them a decent chance of survival. I mean, I know the standard Go-Pro is pretty tough, but not that tough.

Go-Pro definitely rides down with the fairing.  Good images of the "beached" fairing and Go-Pro here:  http://www.collectspace.com/ubb/Forum14/HTML/001305.html

Offline Comga

• Liked: 4572
  • Likes Given: 5136
« Reply #909 on: 04/23/2017 04:55 pm »

IIRC the previous video came from an "unrecovered" fairing that happened to wash up on a beach with camera housing intact.
Precisely
And we did see the protective case for the GoPro in the posts linked above.
The real-time fairing and payload separation videos are broadcast from the second stage.
What kind of wastrels would dump a perfectly good booster in the ocean after just one use?

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #910 on: 04/23/2017 04:59 pm »
thanks for the clarification.
"I think it would be great to be born on Earth and to die on Mars. Just hopefully not at the point of impact." -Elon Musk
"We're a little bit like the dog who caught the bus" - Musk after CRS-8 S1 successfully landed on ASDS OCISLY

Offline dorkmo

• Liked: 338
  • Likes Given: 848
« Reply #911 on: 04/23/2017 06:45 pm »
i marked what i thought might be changes

Offline DAZ

• Everett WA
  • Liked: 165
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #912 on: 04/23/2017 07:04 pm »
In the center green box (the one right across from SES 10) looks like what could possibly be a mortar for the drogue chute in the center. The smaller package could then be the drogue chute with the larger package the parafoil. There appear to be some kind lines from that center box to the 2 boxes that you have marked at the back of the fairing. Could these possibly be the control risers and the motors? The center box leading toward the nose of the fairing that you have marked could possibly be for the risers to the front of the fairing. This would lead toward the nose of the fairing past the center of balance point. At which point they would have to branch off to the 2 sides for attachment points there. The 2 boxes you have marked toward the front could be these 2 attachment points. Alternately the 2 boxes in the front could be the control motors in the 2 to the back could just be the aft attachment points.

Offline OneSpeed

• Liked: 4928
  • Likes Given: 2077
« Reply #913 on: 04/24/2017 01:55 am »
By scaling off a few public images, and noting the relative position of the eyelets, here is an estimated lateral view of the new items in the fairing. Of course, there may be more items in the nose.

Offline OneSpeed

• Liked: 4928
  • Likes Given: 2077
« Reply #914 on: 04/24/2017 12:38 pm »
Speculation

Offline NX-0

• USA
  • Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 324
« Reply #915 on: 05/01/2017 04:36 pm »
I received a message from a source this morning that one-half of the NROL-76 fairing parachuted into the ocean was was recovered intact.
No other details yet.

Offline NX-0

• USA
  • Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 324
« Reply #916 on: 05/01/2017 04:40 pm »
One more tidbit just came through. Accuracy was about 4 miles from target.

Offline cscott

« Reply #917 on: 05/01/2017 06:14 pm »
4 miles is far too much for a bouncy castle... would it be close enough for an air recovery? Perhaps fixed-wing?

Offline docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #918 on: 05/01/2017 06:18 pm »
4 miles is far too much for a bouncy castle... would it be close enough for an air recovery? Perhaps fixed-wing?

Or refine the parafoil's software.
DM

Offline Lar

• Fan boy at large
  • Global Moderator
  • Saw Gemini live on TV
« Reply #919 on: 05/01/2017 06:23 pm »

Or refine the parafoil's software.

Obvs.

The first fiew landing attempts were misses too. Just not the same kind of miss. But different variables

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography