Author Topic: Boeing’s CST-100 part of NASA’s intertwined forward path  (Read 10403 times)

Offline Chris Bergin

Standalone thread as it's a state of play update and I want to get enough threads for a standalone section for CST-100.

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/01/cst-100-part-intertwined-forward-path/

More sexy renders from Nathan again. Full size (and more) in L2 if they get you excited. :)
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline clongton

• Expert
  • Connecticut
    • Direct Launcher
  • Liked: 7348
  • Likes Given: 3749
Awesome story Chris. Lots of meat there with descriptions and dates. I like the way you broke it all down into a sequence that leads to the crewed test flight. Oh, and I love Mr. Elbon's quote referring to Dragon 2 as "Gwynne’s spaceship". That's a classic lol. 

All in all I am happy to see 2 commercial spacecraft working toward operational status. There has been a lot of discussion wrt Dragon, not so much wrt CST-100 and I am pleased to see this article. CST-100 will be an awesome spacecraft and I hope to see more details of its design as time progresses. -Thanks
« Last Edit: 01/30/2015 01:48 pm by clongton »
Chuck - DIRECT co-founder
I started my career on the Saturn-V F-1A engine

Offline AARON17

• Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 7
What a great read! Lots of info, great images and no BS you get from some other sites.

Offline Rocket Science

• NASA Educator Astronaut Candidate Applicant 2002
  • Liked: 4548
  • Likes Given: 13523
What a great read! Lots of info, great images and no BS you get from some other sites.
You said it brother! ;D
"The laws of physics are unforgiving"
~Rob: Physics instructor, Aviator

Offline AncientU

• Liked: 4164
  • Likes Given: 6078
You said it brother! ;D

Yes, great write-up Chris... love those renderings, too.
"If we shared everything [we are working on] people would think we are insane!"
-- SpaceX friend of mlindner

Offline zubenelgenubi

• Global Moderator
  • Arc to Arcturus, then Spike to Spica
  • Sometimes it feels like Trantor in the time of Hari Seldon
  • Liked: 7405
  • Likes Given: 72501
John Elbon, quoted from the article:
"I don’t think there is a time in history when there’s been more development of space flight hardware ongoing, or exciting things that are happening"

And assuming that he's referring to HUMAN spaceflight...

Does the level of activity today with Orion, Dragon 2, and CST-100 beat the 1960's?

Was there development overlap of Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo?  If so, how much?

Or Gemini, Apollo, and MOL?

Or Apollo, Apollo Applications/Skylab, and MOL?

Hyperbole or no from Mr. Elbon, I'm impressed with this Boeing product thus far.

Thank you for the informative article, Chris, and the impressive illustrations, okan170!

Dare I say, that NSF articles today match the quality of Aviation Week & Space Technology in its prime?
I dare!

Sincerely,
Zubenelgenubi
Support your local planetarium! (COVID-panic and forward: Now more than ever.) My current avatar is saying "i wants to go uppies!" Yes, there are God-given rights. Do you wish to gainsay the Declaration of Independence?

Offline Chris Bergin

Thanks chaps!

John Elbon, quoted from the article:
"I don’t think there is a time in history when there’s been more development of space flight hardware ongoing, or exciting things that are happening"

And assuming that he's referring to HUMAN spaceflight...

Does the level of activity today with Orion, Dragon 2, and CST-100 beat the 1960's?

Was there development overlap of Mercury, Gemini, and Apollo?  If so, how much?

Or Gemini, Apollo, and MOL?

Or Apollo, Apollo Applications/Skylab, and MOL?

Hyperbole or no from Mr. Elbon, I'm impressed with this Boeing product thus far.

Thank you for the informative article, Chris, and the impressive illustrations, okan170!

Dare I say, that NSF articles today match the quality of Aviation Week & Space Technology in its prime?
I dare!

Sincerely,
Zubenelgenubi

And thanks to you Zubenelgenubi - a longer response required.....

1) Yeah, fair point. He did preface it with "no longer flying Shuttle" - so he probably was speaking about the new era, but got a bit carried away! ;D

2) Heh - no. I run this site from a desk in my front room, when I'm home and not doing my day job(s) - and I write probably no more than for a few hours late at night. Aviation Week and such as in offices and with full time, very experienced, writers.

But I do appreciate the kind words! :)
« Last Edit: 01/30/2015 04:24 pm by Chris Bergin »
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline qprmeteor

• Poverty-stricken astrophysicist
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 1
Great article, Chris - top notch as always. Interesting bit there on 'Boeing astronauts' - is there a list of potential company astronauts who'd fly the first test flight?
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: I'm sorry, Fry, but astronomers renamed Uranus in 2620 to end that stupid joke once and for all.
Fry: Oh. What's it called now?
Professor Hubert Farnsworth: Urrectum. Here, let me locate it for you.

Offline Razvan

• United States
  • Liked: 22
  • Likes Given: 53
Chris, as graciously as ever been, came out with this very well documented Article about Boeing manned vehicle, after the beautiful presentation of the Dragon V2 - SpaceX counterpart.
It is well known that Boeing is one major component of this Country's backbone Industry and one of the most reliable partners in the Defence Industry. It is obvious that reliability cannot be built without significant costs but, sometimes, these giants simply forget that it is their duty for the Country to keep an eye on the cost not only on their profits. It had to come a Company like SpaceX to wake up the sleepy ones and make them realize that the era of heavy profits and no competition is over and that they need to work harder to be innovative to become competitive and and thus keep relevant to this Industry.
After such a long period of time during which the prices had gone up in the sky, and the Science and Deffence budgets became minuscule by comparison to the high costs, it is, IMO both a patriotic duty and a natural reaction to the course of events to significantly lower the costs and bring back to US the jobs and high paid business lost to Russia, China, Europe.

Offline Endeavour_01

• Hazards & Risk Analyst in SC, USA
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 580
Another excellent article Chris. Extremely well written and very informative. I absolutely loved the rendering of CST-100, Dragon, and Orion flying in formation. Keep up the good work!  :D
I cheer for both NASA and commercial space. For SLS, Orion, Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Dragon, Starship/SH, Starliner, Cygnus and all the rest!
I was blessed to see the launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour on STS-99. The launch was beyond amazing. My 8-year old mind was blown. I remember the noise and seeing the exhaust pour out of the shuttle as it lifted off. I remember staring and watching it soar while it was visible in the clear blue sky. It was one of the greatest moments of my life and I will never forget it.

Offline Chris Bergin

Thanks again! Yeah, love the renders. Nathan's renders pretty much make me plan what the write about some of the time! If I win the lottery and we set up a NSF Towers HQ, he's getting hired to just do renders all day! ;D

Offline DMeader

• Liked: 103
  • Likes Given: 48
I dare!

Sincerely,
Zubenelgenubi
2) Heh - no. I run this site from a desk in my front room, when I'm home and not doing my day job(s) - and I write probably no more than for a few hours late at night. Aviation Week and such as in offices and with full time, very experienced, writers.

Zubenelgenubi is right.  Many is the article on here that is the equal of anything AW&ST ever published. Don't sell yourself short.  :)

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography