Author Topic: 'The Expanse' on SyFy - First trailer for new space opera show  (Read 127021 times)

Offline Dalhousie

• Liked: 780
  • Likes Given: 1131
You have to wonder at the amount of space debris infesting the solar system by then, and the general casualness about generating it.

Space is big, much bigger than we can wrap our minds around. And ships would have radar and other means to detect most debris.

Still, several centuries of that sort of sloppiness, combined with the very high dVs of the spacecraft, and you'd start to worry.
Apologies in advance for any lack of civility - it's unintended

Offline nacnud

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 981
  • Likes Given: 347
Well once an object gets more that a couple of km away it gets outside the draw range and it vanishes, right?

/too much kerbal

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 8485
  • Likes Given: 5384
Episode 203 was a great one, IMO. Lots of fascinating background and information on the protomolecule & Millers actions, which should clarify a lot of things for non-readers.

Season 2 is moving at a great pace... My only major complaint about season 1 would probably have been pacing. But they hitting their stride now, it seems.

Online ZachF

• Immensely complex & high risk
  • NH, USA, Earth
  • Liked: 2604
  • Likes Given: 531
Episode 203 was a great one, IMO. Lots of fascinating background and information on the protomolecule & Millers actions, which should clarify a lot of things for non-readers.

Season 2 is moving at a great pace... My only major complaint about season 1 would probably have been pacing. But they hitting their stride now, it seems.

Production quality on this season is also top-notch, looks more like a movie than a TV show.
artist, so take opinions expressed above with a well-rendered grain of salt...
https://www.instagram.com/artzf/

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7823
  • Likes Given: 2
Yeah, I sat there last night watching it and at the end of the episode I said "Wow" out loud--and then realized that I did the same the week before. Without giving away spoilers, I thought that the Miller parts at the end of last week and this week were both incredible hooks. Both times he did/said something surprising with huge ramifications for the rest of the story. And he's turning into a much more strategic and less impulsive character than I thought.

Offline gosnold

• Liked: 243
  • Likes Given: 2116
Ep 3 was also paced slower than the first two, and i think it's better that way. It gives better character development and lets the viewer get in the shoes of the characters. I found the first two moved so quick it was hard to follow sometimes.

Offline Oersted

• Liked: 4098
  • Likes Given: 2773
Yeah, I sat there last night watching it and at the end of the episode I said "Wow" out loud--and then realized that I did the same the week before. Without giving away spoilers, I thought that the Miller parts at the end of last week and this week were both incredible hooks. Both times he did/said something surprising with huge ramifications for the rest of the story. And he's turning into a much more strategic and less impulsive character than I thought.

What Miller does at the end of EP3 really throws a spanner in the works and opens up a whole new deeply chaotic continuation of the story arc.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran

What Miller does at the end of EP3 really throws a spanner in the works and opens up a whole new deeply chaotic continuation of the story arc.

Do you mean at the end of Ep2? At the end of Ep3 he explains why he did what he did in Ep2.

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
I'm so proud and glad of (our) Kiwi actress getting such a good role as Bobbie Draper in 'The Expanse'. She's come a long way from playing a 'teenage tearaway' on NZ soap 'Shortland Street'. And they let her keep her 'Newzild' accent, too!!

http://diversions.co.nz/bonds-new-girl-frankie-adams/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frankie_Adams

« Last Edit: 02/10/2017 01:14 am by MATTBLAK »
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Online Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10199
  • Likes Given: 11928
I'm so proud and glad of (our) Kiwi actress getting such a good role as Bobbie Draper in 'The Expanse'. She's come a long way from playing a 'teenage tearaway' on NZ soap 'Shortland Street'. And they let her keep her 'Newzild' accent, too!!

If you haven't read the books, Bobbie Draper becomes a regular contributor into the Expanse future, and so casting the right person was going to mean a lot.  I think they did pretty good finding someone that can be the soldier that Bobbie Draper is in the books.
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline MATTBLAK

• Elite Veteran & 'J.A.F.A'
  • 'Space Cadets' Let us; UNITE!! (crickets chirping)
  • New Zealand
  • Liked: 2239
  • Likes Given: 3883
Frankie is 6ft tall, has trained in boxing - she's done some amateur bouts - and has the dramatic chops to do practically anything. I can't wait to see how she works in the role. And in the future, too.
"Those who can't, Blog".   'Space Cadets' of the World - Let us UNITE!! (crickets chirping)

Offline Oersted

Do you mean at the end of Ep2? At the end of Ep3 he explains why he did what he did in Ep2.

Yes, I meant EP2. Haven't seen EP3 yet.

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
Interesting stuff - they go pretty edgy on this show, don't they? That line from Amos on

[spoiler]
pedophiles almost made me cringe. That guy has some serious hell inside him. I liked his little icebreaker moment drinking with Miller at the bar afterwards, where they seemed to be warming to each other.

That Mormon interstellar colony ship looks pretty cool - I'd have liked to see what its farmlands look like - too bad they're probably going to ram it into that asteroid.

[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: 02/10/2017 11:34 pm by sanman »

Offline sanman

Anybody see the latest episode of The Expanse? One helluva nail-biter.  :-X

Online Coastal Ron

• I live... along the coast
  • Liked: 10199
  • Likes Given: 11928

After season 1 I started reading all the books, and so I have an appreciation for how well they are moving things along.

And they have to, since books don't translate literally into movies and TV, so usually a lot of compression and merging has to happen.  I'll be interested to see where this season ends up, and suffice it to say interesting things are still to come...
If we don't continuously lower the cost to access space, how are we ever going to afford to expand humanity out into space?

Offline Oersted

Not to say cliff-hanger!

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran

[I'm going to not include spoilers here, but if you have not watched through episode 3 yet then you cannot complain about spoilers.]

I thought that the ends of ep 2 (Miller does something), ep 3 (Miller explains why he did what he did at the end of ep 2), and ep 4 (well, Miller watches something...) were all great cliffhangers. It has been quite awhile since I watched the end of a show and was immediately annoyed that I'd have to wait another week to see what happens next. "The Expanse" has found exactly the right way to hook me at the end of these episodes. I should probably just stop watching and then binge watch the entire series.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
Interesting stuff - they go pretty edgy on this show, don't they? That line from Amos on

Okay, read this:

http://io9.gizmodo.com/last-nights-expanse-was-more-proof-that-its-the-best-sc-1792172927

The article explains that scene and how they got to including it--when Amos asks his question, Holden was supposed to say something in response. The actors decided that it would be better for Holden to not reply, just sorta be shocked at what Amos was asking. That made it more effective.

The article also discusses Amos some more and his back story. He was very abused as a child and is sort of emotionless, locked down. That's why he behaves like a cold-blooded killer at times, because he doesn't feel anything. It also explains why he was able to figure out the scientist, because the scientist doesn't feel anything either other than his obsession with the data about the protomolecule.

Offline sanman

I love Amos - he's such a dangerous guy. I liked the interaction between him and Miller -very tense at first, but then they seemed to start warming to each other later on. All the characters are very interesting - Holden in particular seems very "Keanu" ;)

Sent from my SM-N920W8 using Tapatalk

Offline sanman

Another gripping episode of The Expanse, [spoiler]one which provides a dramatic conclusion to Miller's story arc, it seems. Looks like the Protomolecule will be transforming Venus, then. If it's a terraforming, then the irony would be that only Earthers would be able to take advantage of it anyway.[/spoiler]

Oh well, I'll wait and see.
« Last Edit: 02/24/2017 09:15 am by sanman »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography