Author Topic: Team Indus Lunar Lander/Rover  (Read 82139 times)

Offline ChrisWilson68

• Sunnyvale, CA
  • Liked: 4992
  • Likes Given: 6459
Re: Team Indus Lunar Lander/Rover - PSLV X1 - December 28, 2017
« Reply #60 on: 01/10/2017 06:45 am »
Perhaps their priority is less about winning the prize, and more about catching the attention of the country and its govt. An Indian 'private' effort at moon landing?? Did I miss something?

As it became clear Rutan was likely to win the original X Prize, some of the other competitors said similar things -- winning the prize wasn't the most important thing, and they were more focused on commercial success or some other goal, whether they won the prize or not.  And then none of them ever flew anything.

Live by the prize, die by the prize.

Offline vineethgk

• India
  • Liked: 187
  • Likes Given: 265
« Reply #61 on: 01/10/2017 06:54 am »
Perhaps their priority is less about winning the prize, and more about catching the attention of the country and its govt. An Indian 'private' effort at moon landing?? Did I miss something?

As it became clear Rutan was likely to win the original X Prize, some of the other competitors said similar things -- winning the prize wasn't the most important thing, and they were more focused on commercial success or some other goal, whether they won the prize or not.  And then none of them ever flew anything.

Live by the prize, die by the prize.
In an Indian context it might be slightly different though. The country doesn't have much of what can be considered a private space ecosystem as it exists in the West, whether they be satellite manufacturing or launch vehicles. TeamIndus may have plans to become one of the first private space enterprises in India, especially as ISRO is hunting around for partners to take some of rhe load off its back. And this mission, even if a bit late or ultimately unsuccessful, might just help them with it. Its just my guess though. Take it with a liberal pinch of salt.

Offline TrevorMonty

At this stage I'd put Indus first as they have proven LV that should launch on time. Few others are relying on F9 while MX is using unproven Electron.

Offline sanjaykumar

• USA
  • Liked: 21
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #63 on: 01/20/2017 11:55 pm »
http://www.thehindu.com/sci-tech/Your-name-plate-on-the-moon-for-a-price/article17071625.ece?homepage=true

A Bengaluru start-up says donors to its moon lander project will be immortalised.

Indians are being offered the opportunity to leave their name on the moon, for a price. Space start-up TeamIndus will get the names of public ‘donors’ micro-engraved on a small-sized aluminium object, which will be placed on the lunar surface when its lander descends on the moon. The bill: ₹500 per name.

Flight profile

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32735
  • Likes Given: 8178
« Reply #65 on: 01/22/2017 05:04 am »
Your photo was in WEBP format, which may not be visible in all browsers. Here is the photo in JPEG format, cropped and enhanced. Looks like the mission duration is 21 days 5 hours.
« Last Edit: 01/22/2017 05:05 am by Steven Pietrobon »
Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline chota

• Liked: 108
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #66 on: 01/24/2017 12:11 pm »
Beer Brewing Experiment by yeast research Team shortlisted by Team Indus as one of the potential payload
http://www.space.com/35431-moon-beer-brewing-experiment-team-indus.html

Offline Phil Stooke

• Canada
  • Liked: 1424
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #67 on: 01/24/2017 12:31 pm »
Now that's a sample return mission I could really get behind!

Offline TrevorMonty

Beer Brewing Experiment by yeast research Team shortlisted by Team Indus as one of the potential payload
This is a critical experiment, if you can't brew beer on moon, colonisation is doomed. They need follow up with growing hops and barley in lunar soil.

Offline sanman

• Liked: 1312
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #69 on: 01/24/2017 06:42 pm »
This is a critical experiment, if you can't brew beer on moon, colonisation is doomed. They need follow up with growing hops and barley in lunar soil.

Heh, eventually the Moon will need its own protected designation to proudly proclaim "Genuine Lunar-brewed Moonshine - accept no substitutes!"

Offline vyoma

• India
  • Liked: 850
  • Likes Given: 127
« Reply #70 on: 03/09/2017 06:38 pm »
https://medium.com/teamindus/women-of-teamindus-the-story-of-mohini-parameswaran-7928d371b10c#.x2kadf8tj

Women of TeamIndus: The Story of Mohini Parameswaran

Mohini Parameswaran is perhaps the most popular person working at TeamIndus. She on Spacecraft health monitoring and ground segment software for the Moon Mission. She is also one of the most experienced people in TeamIndus, having worked earlier with the European Space Agency — ESA — for nearly 13 years and the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) for more than two decades. At ISRO and ESA, she worked on a gamut of prestigious projects. That list starts from the early days of the Rohini series of satellites to IRS 1C for ISRO and from Envisat to the Rosetta Mission for ESA. Here are edited excerpts from a conversation with her.

What made you join TeamIndus?
I first heard about TeamIndus through a chance meeting with the Mission Director Mr. N.S. Hegde(Formerly Mission Director of Chandrayaan-1), when I met him at ISAC — ISRO Satellite Centre — in October, 2015. Soon after, in the first week of November, I came across TeamIndus again when I read an article about four start-up companies in the space industry in a newspaper. I felt prompted to call Mr. Hegde and ask him about it again whereupon he informed me that the one without any photos in the newspaper article is TeamIndus.

I was invited to visit the TeamIndus office on the 9th of November, 2015 and was impressed by the presentation on the GLXP mission. Among other things, the members of TeamIndus and I discussed how mission operations are conducted at European Space Operations Centre (ESOC) and about SCOS-2000, ESOC’s Mission Control software, given my experience with these operations and systems. I left the office that day with the healthy feeling that the younger generations in India have excellent opportunities to study and work in their fields of choice and are utilising them well.

Next January, tired of the retired life, I contacted Mr. Hegde to determine if there was any work in TeamIndus that matched my experience. I was invited to sit in on the monthly review held on the last Saturday of every month. Within a short while, I was working twice a week at TeamIndus.

TeamIndus follows the philosophy of mixing extremely young engineers fresh out of college with people like you who have been there and done that. How has the experience been working with young scientists?

I had decided that if I get a chance to work with this young and energetic team, I will be healthy both physically and mentally. So when I got a chance to join, I took the opportunity. It was, and has continued to be, a very refreshing experience to work with a team whose average age is just over half the span of my career! These youngsters are open and have the courage to ask questions that I perhaps may not have thought of. The team liked my approach and what I brought to the project and now, here I am, working everyday with them.

There is a great spirit in this group of people that needs to be sustained in future missions and projects because venturing into something as potentially limitless and advantageous to mankind as the space industry, especially as a private sector company in India, is a pioneering undertaking. It is in some ways equivalent to the pioneers and explorers of old — requiring a high level of commitment, focus, integrity and an enthusiasm for discovery. I am confident that we will complete this and future missions successfully, blaze a trail and set an example for all who wish to achieve exceptionally and be part of something greater than themselves.

What is that one piece of advice you have for the next generation of youngsters thinking of pursuing science?
Sustain this spirit through out your career and life. Continue the high level of commitment, focus, integrity and the enthusiasm for discovery. Set an example for all who wish to achieve exceptional goals.

8) I Think Team Indus Has All Capabilities to win this price.
They Have good team, They robot look best and already win $1 Million Price - Google Lunar XPrize Landing Milestone prize.
They also secure Launch Contract with ISRO.
So best Combination.
however competition is tough, also Israel team is also a good competitor.

http://newser.in/good-news/team-indus-rover-eca-google-lunar-xprize/

Offline vyoma

• India
« Reply #72 on: 03/15/2017 04:12 am »
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/companies/team-indus-moon-competition-attracts-global-youth-interest/articleshow/57641950.cms

Team Indus, the private initiative to land a rover on the Moon, received 3,000 entries from 15 countries including the US, the UK, Peru, Italy and India for its Lab2Moon competition, announced in July last year, to select experiments to be carried as payloads on its rover.

From those entries, 15 have been shortlisted, including an inflatable dome that could help humans live on the Moon, an experiment to see how hardy microorganisms adapt to conditions on the Moon, and even a project that seeks to produce oxygen on the Moon. The projects are mostly by youngsters, many of them college students.

On Wednesday , a jury consisting of former ISRO chairman K Kasturirangan, French space agency CNES's former chairman Alain Bensoussan, and professor of astrophysics at Yale University Priyamvada Natarajan will select a maximum of eight winners from the shortlisted 15.

Bengaluru-based The Lunar Leap is looking to send Tardigrades, micro-animals considered capable of withstanding some of the most severe environmental conditions, to the Moon and study their survival behaviour. "This will help us learn more about their DNA structure, learn what makes them so tough, and even culture those strands in human cells," said Keertivardhan M Joshi, one of the three team members, all employees of the National Aerospace Laboratories (NAL) but participating in their personal capacities.

Offline vyoma

• India
« Reply #73 on: 03/15/2017 10:22 pm »
http://www.indiawest.com/news/india/three-indian-teams-qualify-for-indian-private-moon-mission/article_0727c796-09b8-11e7-a1c9-1bb0a03a2ea2.html

"Teams Callisto, Ears and Kalpana from India, Space4Life from Italy, Lunadome from Britain, Killa Lab from Peru and Regolith Revolution from the U.S. have qualified to fly their experiments to the lunar surface in our spacecraft," said a TeamIndus statement.

Offline Skyrocket

• Extreme Veteran
  • Frankfurt am Main, Germany
  • Liked: 940
  • Likes Given: 172
« Reply #74 on: 03/15/2017 10:51 pm »
Can anyone please correct the typo in the subject line from "PSLV X1" to "PSLV-XL".

Thanks

Offline worldtimedate

• Liked: 40
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: Team Indus Lunar Lander/Rover - PSLV-XL - December 28, 2017
« Reply #75 on: 04/30/2017 06:35 am »
A long journey: Mission moon

Inside, across a large hall, a team of over 100 professionals, mostly youngsters in the average age group of 25 years, are buckling down to accomplish what is being touted as a historic project—the world's first privately-funded mission to not only build and 'soft-land' a spacecraft on the moon,

Although missions to the moon have been conducted by five countries so far—the erstwhile Soviet Union, the US, Japan, China and India—apart from the European Space Agency, only three nations (the US, Russia and China) have successfully accomplished a soft landing on the moon, as against a ‘crash landing'. If Team Indus succeeds in its mission, India will be the fourth country on that list.

If all goes as per plan, Team Indus will hoist the Tricolour on the moon's surface on January 26—India's Republic Day—next year after undertaking a journey of 21 days in space. It will also be able to fulfill the terms of the Google Lunar XPrize (GLXP), thereby becoming eligible to win a total of $30 million in prize money.

The start-up has already won a ‘Milestone Prize' of $1 million for its ‘lunar lander' design in 2015. If Team Indus, indeed, becomes the first team to fulfill all the mission requirements, it could win $20 million as the grand prize.

If it's the runner-up, it would still win $5 million. Only five teams, including Team Indus, remain in the running now. The others are SpaceIL (Israel), Moon Express (the US), Synergy Moon (an international team made up of members from over 15 different nations) and Hakuto (Japan). The deadline for completing the project is December 31 this year.

--- [ --- ]

Offline vineethgk

• India
« Reply #76 on: 05/07/2017 05:36 am »
TeamIndus to to tour 36000 schools to raise awareness on the mission
Over the next few months, members of Team Indus, the Bengaluru-based startup that will send a privately funded spacecraft to the moon this year, will tour the country and visit over 36,000 schools to raise awareness about their mission.
The ‘Moonshot Wheels’ campaign, will consist of a mobile vehicle that will tour the country to educate children about astronomy and space.
According to the team, the company has almost finished building its 600-kg-plus moon lander.
The team also put forward an offer. By paying ₹500, you can have your name micro-engraved on an aluminium plate, which will be placed on the moon.

Offline vineethgk

• India
« Reply #77 on: 06/21/2017 02:35 am »
TeamIndus awaits Govt clearance for launch aboard PSLV by December
Team Indus, a Bengaluru start-up aspiring to be the first Indian private space company, signed a contract with ISRO’s commercial arm Antrix Corporation for a launch but is now awaiting clearance for the launch ahead of a December 31 deadline.
Team Indus and a Japanese team, Hakuto, are contracted to fly on ISRO’s PSLV XL rocket on December 28, 2017, three days before the closure of the deadline for the Google X Prize contest. The two teams will share the nearly $30 million commercial cost for the launch.
“The necessary approvals for launch of the Team Indus moon mission has not yet concluded. An MoU was signed last year by Antrix Corporation and Team Indus. The launch service has to be authorised by the government and the approval process is going on,” Antrix chairman and managing director Rakesh Sasibhushan said. Sources in ISRO said the MoU is under scrutiny and various questions are being asked about the nature of the launch, the Google Lunar X Prize competition and intellectual property issues involved.
The mission is expected to cost Team Indus in the range of $ 70 million to build its moon rover and spacecraft from scratch and to launch it to the moon.

Offline vyoma

• India
« Reply #78 on: 07/05/2017 06:59 pm »
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/companies/team-indus-plans-40m-fund-raise-for-moon-mission/articleshow/59462089.cms

Bengaluru: Team Indus, the private initiative to land a rover on the Moon, is looking to raise $40 million through a mix of corporate sponsorship and crowdfunding before its scheduled lunar rover mission launch in December.

"Our spacecraft structure is ready. The software and the mission command centre is up and running and is undergoing testing. This mission is challenging. ISRO's Chandrayaan 1 was an orbital mission, while our spacecraft has to land on the Moon," said Narayan. He, however, noted that the company could take some liberties because the mission is a short, landing-focussed one. The flight testing of the spacecraft and payloads will happen next month at ISRO's facility.

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography