Author Topic: The Great MLM Debacle Thread (Discussion Only)  (Read 12768 times)

Offline Lars-J

• California
  • Liked: 2330
  • Likes Given: 1352
Re: The Great MLM Debacle Thread (Discussion Only)
« Reply #40 on: 03/27/2017 04:21 PM »
Might as well melt it down and start over. This has gone beyond ridiculous now. There comes a point in engineering where you just throw more and more resources at ever diminishing returns. Time to cut and run. >:(

Agreed, this is beyond ridiculous. What is so special about these cylindrical tanks that they cannot be built again from scratch? Is there no manufacturing capability of any kind left in Russia, and they are forced to build this thing from old parts inventory?

Offline eeergo

• Phystronaut
  • Milan, Italy; Spain; Virginia
  • Liked: 363
  • Likes Given: 297
« Reply #41 on: 03/27/2017 04:40 PM »
It isn't that amazingly difficult to conceive that restarting and recertifying production of a critical low-volume item whose last units were manufactured 20 years ago, possibly based on much older designs and tooling, would take longer and be more expensive than replacing them with something they have sitting on a shelf and comes from the actual same spacecraft?

I agree the MLM situation is quite a debacle, but I find the level of bashing-to-information ratio in this thread to be quite annoying, maybe to the point it wouldn't be allowed in other sections of the forum. What's worse, I feel this might be driving insiders (or at least Russian natives) away from discussing interesting insights here.
-DaviD-

Offline whitelancer64

« Reply #42 on: 03/27/2017 04:40 PM »
As I understand it, the main problem is twofold. One, the tanks in question were made decades ago (so just making new ones is not as simple as it sounds), and two, the tanks have already been installed and integrated with the module. Further hardware, including radiators and structural assemblies for the launch fairing, have been installed around and on top of them. Also, using more recently built tanks (such as from Progress) won't work due to their size and shape:

"Because of their unique design, they fit neatly onto the module, leaving enough room to place radiator panels over them. But it also means that no modern tanks can get in their place without cutting through the radiators!"

http://russianspaceweb.com/iss-fgb2-mlm-2017.html

The article helpfully lists all the possible solutions that have been considered.

Any fix is going to mean the near-complete disassembly and reassembly of the exterior of the module.
"One bit of advice: it is important to view knowledge as sort of a semantic tree -- make sure you understand the fundamental principles, ie the trunk and big branches, before you get into the leaves/details or there is nothing for them to hang on to." - Elon Musk
"There are lies, damned lies, and launch schedules." - Larry J

Tags: