Author Topic: Bigelow Aerospace Update and Discussion Thread (3)  (Read 661134 times)

Offline Moe Grills

• Liked: 27
  • Likes Given: 1
Re: Bigelow Aerospace Update and Discussion Thread (3)
« Reply #780 on: 01/27/2015 05:46 pm »
You know what? it's both humorous and sad to think that the next pressurized ISS addition/module won't come from a space power like Russia, but from a private corporation.
Almost all of the US segment was build by Boeing, Kibo was built by Mitsubishi, the latest Russian modules by RKK Energiya, Columbus by EADS Astrium, and the PMM By Thales Alenia. This is nothing remotely new.
All funded directly or indirectly  by TAXPAYERS (you TOO) in the nations they came from. Bigelow's BEAM would be an exception.

Offline Moe Grills

« Reply #781 on: 01/27/2015 05:49 pm »
You know what? it's both humorous and sad to think that the next pressurized ISS addition/module won't come from a space power like Russia, but from a private corporation.
Bigelow Aerospace has achieved respectability in commercial spaceflight. It is no longer pie-in-the sky like so many private firms that have got nowhere with ambitious space plans.

Sad, because a space 'power' like Russia is a pale reflection of its former glories in the USSR or RF.
Humorous, cause it's funny to think that a private corporation can do things now nation states shy away from.
It's like a corporation giving a nation a one finger salute.

Offline Kryten

• Liked: 426
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #782 on: 01/27/2015 05:50 pm »
All funded directly or indirectly  by TAXPAYERS (you TOO) in the nations they came from. Bigelow's BEAM would be an exception.
I'm sorry? How is a module NASA is paying $18 million for not taxpayer funded?

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #783 on: 01/27/2015 05:52 pm »
Do we have an accurate picture of what Beam actually looks like? I've see so many presentations and illustrations and they all look different. One has a tinfoil looking outer coating and others appear to have a different surface coat mainly whitish. Also size looks to be different in a lot of the illustrations.
« Last Edit: 01/27/2015 05:52 pm by mr. mark »

Offline mr. mark

• Liked: 172
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #784 on: 01/27/2015 05:57 pm »
Assuming it looks like this?

Offline okan170

• Los Angeles
  • Liked: 6806
  • Likes Given: 1345
« Reply #785 on: 01/28/2015 12:00 am »
Assuming it looks like this?

A bit ago, I did a test render based off of that picture and some of the existing material out there on BEAM.  I have no idea if the article will have a NASA logo on it, but it seemed cool.
« Last Edit: 01/28/2015 12:01 am by okan170 »

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 806
  • Likes Given: 900
« Reply #786 on: 01/28/2015 08:59 am »
I still want to see a modified BEAM with telescopic stiffening rods in the centre and a IDS port at one end to see if it is practical as a launch-with-Dragon orbital module. It wouldn't be that simple; I'm not even sure that the final product would be light enough to dual launch with Dragon but I think it would be a worthwhile idea to at least seriously investigate. Why? We don't know when BA-330 will be in a flyable condition but BEAM very nearly is in flyable condition and it might get both Bigelow and SpaceX a revenue stream from flying some of Space Adventures short-duration LEO ticket holders.

Last century, rich people paid for the thrill ride in one of the barely-flyable early aircraft for a few minutes. I can see them being willing to do so again for a few days in LEO. A few hundred thousands of dollars to have some of the R&D boys look at the figures and play with CAD but potentially millions in passenger revenue at the other side if it turns out to be workable. To quote a certain fictional entrepreneur: "I punched those numbers into my pocket calculator and it makes a happy face!"
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline maitri982

• Liked: 26
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #787 on: 01/28/2015 02:47 pm »
To bad they dont have something ready to fly...they could get cut rate on Falcon Heavy demo mission this year.

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #788 on: 01/29/2015 02:26 pm »
I still want to see a modified BEAM with telescopic stiffening rods in the centre and a IDS port at one end to see if it is practical as a launch-with-Dragon orbital module. It wouldn't be that simple; I'm not even sure that the final product would be light enough to dual launch with Dragon but I think it would be a worthwhile idea to at least seriously investigate. Why? We don't know when BA-330 will be in a flyable condition but BEAM very nearly is in flyable condition and it might get both Bigelow and SpaceX a revenue stream from flying some of Space Adventures short-duration LEO ticket holders.

Last century, rich people paid for the thrill ride in one of the barely-flyable early aircraft for a few minutes. I can see them being willing to do so again for a few days in LEO. A few hundred thousands of dollars to have some of the R&D boys look at the figures and play with CAD but potentially millions in passenger revenue at the other side if it turns out to be workable. To quote a certain fictional entrepreneur: "I punched those numbers into my pocket calculator and it makes a happy face!"

A Falcon 9 may be sufficient to put the pair in LEO. An arm will be needed to extract the BEAM V2.0 from the trunk.

Could a Falcon Heavy send the pair on an Apollo 8 style trip around the Moon?

Online docmordrid

• Michigan
  • Liked: 4207
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #789 on: 01/29/2015 03:52 pm »

A Falcon 9 may be sufficient to put the pair in LEO. An arm will be needed to extract the BEAM V2.0 from the trunk.

Why an arm? Attach it to the second stage and have Dragon 2 separate, turn around, dock and extract it the same as Apollo extracted the LEM.
DM

Offline Endeavour_01

• Hazards & Risk Analyst in SC, USA
  • Liked: 759
  • Likes Given: 580
« Reply #790 on: 01/29/2015 07:48 pm »

Depending on the mass of the current Dragon V2 CSM (not sure exactly, lets say ~12 mt. If I am wrong please correct me) and the mass of BEAM 2.0 (say 2 mt) it could be feasible to do a bare bones lunar flyby on a free return trajectory using Falcon Heavy. Of course there would be no possibility of aborting the mission and Dragon V2 probably isn't BLEO ready.
I cheer for both NASA and commercial space. For SLS, Orion, Falcon 9, Falcon Heavy, Dragon, Starship/SH, Starliner, Cygnus and all the rest!
I was blessed to see the launch of Space Shuttle Endeavour on STS-99. The launch was beyond amazing. My 8-year old mind was blown. I remember the noise and seeing the exhaust pour out of the shuttle as it lifted off. I remember staring and watching it soar while it was visible in the clear blue sky. It was one of the greatest moments of my life and I will never forget it.

Offline A_M_Swallow

• Elite Veteran
  • South coast of England
  • Liked: 500
  • Likes Given: 223
« Reply #791 on: 01/30/2015 06:55 pm »

Why an arm? Attach it to the second stage and have Dragon 2 separate, turn around, dock and extract it the same as Apollo extracted the LEM.

Because an arm is being used to extract the BEAM from the trunk at the ISS.  Little arms are being developed suitable for capsules.

Offline JasonAW3

• Claremore, Ok.
  • Liked: 410
  • Likes Given: 14
« Reply #792 on: 01/30/2015 10:12 pm »

Because an arm is being used to extract the BEAM from the trunk at the ISS.  Little arms are being developed suitable for capsules.

The arm is extra mass that a flyby mission would not need.  I mean, it would be nice to have, if there was a need for it beyond extraction of the BEAM module, but there really wouldn't be.  A turn around, dock and remove from the upper stage is a WHOLE lot simpler than having to reach over 270 degrees around into the trunk move it to the front of the craft, and then dock it to the front having to use two or more cameras to see exactly what you're doing.

I'm not saying that the dock and remove will be much easier, but it's far less complicated.
My God!  It's full of universes!

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 7123
  • Likes Given: 3064
« Reply #793 on: 02/02/2015 07:42 pm »
It looks like BEAM is scheduled for September on CRS-8:

Quote from: twitter
@BigelowSpace's inflatible space station module now to fly to ISS September-ish aboard @SpaceX's 8th paid cargo run, per NASA budget doc.
https://twitter.com/Leone_SN/status/562332184464601089
« Last Edit: 02/02/2015 07:47 pm by yg1968 »

Online jacqmans

• Global Moderator
  • Houten, The Netherlands
  • Liked: 8560
  • Likes Given: 320
« Reply #794 on: 03/04/2015 01:29 pm »
March 3, 2015

Media Invited to See Bigelow Expandable Space Station Module Ahead of Shipment to NASA

NASA and Bigelow Aerospace invite media to a photo and interview opportunity at 10 a.m. PST on Thursday, March 12, at Bigelow Aerospace’s North Las Vegas facility to mark the completion of all major milestones on the Bigelow Expandable Activity Module (BEAM).

Reporters will have the opportunity to see and photograph the BEAM before it’s shipped to NASA’s Kennedy Space Center in Florida for launch to the International Space Station later this year. Robert Bigelow, president and founder of Bigelow Aerospace, and William Gerstenmaier, NASA’s associate administrator for Human Exploration and Operations, will conduct a joint question and answer session with media.

To attend, media must contact Mike Gold at [email protected] or 202-274-0227. Media seeking additional information, or who would like to request a one-on-one interview with Bigelow, also should contact Gold. Reporters seeking a one-on-one interview with Gerstenmaier should contact Stephanie Schierholz at [email protected] or 202-358-1100.

The demonstration of expandable space habitat technology supports NASA’s long-term exploration goals on its journey to Mars, for which the agency will need to develop a deep space habitat for human missions beyond Earth orbit.

The BEAM is scheduled to launch in the second half of this year aboard the eighth SpaceX cargo resupply mission to the station and be installed on the aft port of the station’s Tranquility node.

For more information about Bigelow Aerospace, visit:

http://www.bigelowaerospace.com

For more information about the BEAM, visit:

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/news/beam_feature.html
Jacques :-)

Offline Moe Grills

« Reply #795 on: 03/04/2015 04:00 pm »
 As far as I know, NASA astronauts will be formally allowed to enter the BEAM module from time-to-time for data collection, etc.

But I'm thinking since the module is flexible, tear-resistant, 3.2 meters in diameter, etc. And unlike other ISS modules, uncluttered inside, it may be safe for astronauts/cosmonauts to have SOME FUN inside on occasion. Things like engaging in zero-g acrobatics without fear of banging ones head into a locker or instrument panel.
Think also faux-centrifugal jogging loops inside. Those of us old enough to remember Skylab will know what I'm talking about.

Offline Malderi

• Liked: 53
  • Likes Given: 52
« Reply #796 on: 03/04/2015 05:28 pm »
As far as I know, NASA astronauts will be formally allowed to enter the BEAM module from time-to-time for data collection, etc.

But I'm thinking since the module is flexible, tear-resistant, 3.2 meters in diameter, etc. And unlike other ISS modules, uncluttered inside, it may be safe for astronauts/cosmonauts to have SOME FUN inside on occasion. Things like engaging in zero-g acrobatics without fear of banging ones head into a locker or instrument panel.
Think also faux-centrifugal jogging loops inside. Those of us old enough to remember Skylab will know what I'm talking about.

It's actually not going to be any bigger than other ISS modules, and will be almost certainly filled with trash.

Offline rpapo

« Reply #797 on: 03/04/2015 06:13 pm »
Not big enough.  If your feet are on one side, your head is already past the center-point.  Skylab was -far- bigger inside.
Following the space program since before Apollo 8.

Offline Moe Grills

« Reply #798 on: 03/04/2015 06:31 pm »
Not big enough.  If your feet are on one side, your head is already past the center-point.  Skylab was -far- bigger inside.

That's why I said "faux" centrifugal. Such horseplay or activity will certainly be a clumsy but FUN FUN perversion/version of it.
Hey! If you can't have fun, before the BEAM is used for trash storage, then space is no place for FUN or OCCASIONAL horseplay.

Offline Moe Grills

« Reply #799 on: 03/04/2015 06:42 pm »

It's actually not going to be any bigger than other ISS modules, and will be almost certainly filled with trash.
8)
Bigger, huh? I could almost get lewd with that comment, but you'd blush. An inflatable module that is free of gear, tools, instrument panels that can gash your head bad if you make a careless somersault or other zero-g acrobatic stunt, makes it worthwhile to 'bounce' around and do aggressive acrobatic stunts in what will be at START a relatively unobstructed module.
You know what? I strongly believe there remain some free-spirit astronauts and visitors to the ISS who would do exactly what I forecast they will do. After all, like most human beings, they like to have fun from time to time; even or especially in zero-g.
« Last Edit: 03/04/2015 06:49 pm by Moe Grills »

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography