Author Topic: Becoming Spacefarers: Rescuing America's Space Program  (Read 12966 times)

Online Chris Bergin

As you can see with the ad placement on the right hand side of the screen. James A. Vedda has his latest book out and we're promoting it for him.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1477130918/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me=&seller

I'm setting up this thread for reviews and comments for when people acquire a copy of the book. I'll do likewise when it arrives.

Clicking the Amazon link above includes some of those early reviews.

Offline yg1968

• Liked: 1061
  • Likes Given: 688
Re: Becoming Spacefarers: Rescuing America's Space Program
« Reply #1 on: 08/25/2012 04:15 AM »
I have just received the book. I have only read the introduction so far. But it seems very interesting and well written. Incidentally, I wouldn't have know about the book if it wasn't for the ad on this website. I will post a longer review once I finish reading it.

Offline Davinator

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 28
« Reply #2 on: 08/25/2012 04:26 AM »
I'm glad you posted that as I'm also going through this also and I think it is superb! I'll also post a review when I'm finished with it.

Offline yg1968

« Reply #3 on: 09/08/2012 10:10 PM »
I finished reading the book. It's well written, interesting and has some humour in it. I agree with most of the points being made. The first part of the book is mostly about space politics: discussion of the Augustine Committee and of the FY 2011 NASA Budget. The second part of the book (the most interesting part) is about what we should do next. The book is very much pro FY 2011 Budget, pro-capability driven approach and pro-flexible path. It suggests that NASA focus on cislunar space first (as opposed to Mars or a NEO). The Author is not a big fan of SLS and Orion (but the book only briefly discusses SLS and Orion). He would prefer that NASA use commercial solutions and propellant depots.

I disagree with some relatively minor points that are made in the book. The chapter on safety in various modes of transportations makes it seem like all safety improvements were the result of regulations being introduced which seems unlikely given that a lot of safety improvements were more likely the result of technology advances. For example, air bags on cars were brought by technology advances (not regulations). Air bags are now mandatory but regulations is not what caused them to be introduced (competition and innovation were). He also makes it sound like Airline deregulation reduced safety (he gives the example of the Value Jet accident to defend this claim). The first part of the book (i.e., the part on space policy) has a bit of a Democratic slant which I didn't think was necessary given that most of the ideas that he defends also appeal to consistent pro-business Republicans. But these points are very minor. Overall, I really liked the book and give it 5 stars out of 5.
« Last Edit: 10/13/2012 09:04 PM by yg1968 »

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is the salient metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 597
  • Likes Given: 308
« Reply #4 on: 09/10/2012 02:24 PM »
Ordered just a few minutes ago.
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline ciscosdad

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 157
« Reply #5 on: 01/04/2013 09:15 PM »
I'm considering getting the book, but it looks a bit too heavy on space policy and and politics and not enough hardware to appeal to me. Is there much real engineering in it? Chris and JohnFornaro, have you formed your opinions?

Offline yg1968

« Reply #6 on: 11/05/2013 12:47 AM »
Vedda provided a 4 page paper to the NRC Committee on Human Spaceflight which summarizes some of the points that he makes in his book:
http://www8.nationalacademies.org/aseboutreach/DetailFileDisplay.aspx?id=1133
« Last Edit: 11/05/2013 01:01 AM by yg1968 »

Offline pagheca

• Bayesian Pundit. Maybe.
  • Lives in Ivory, Tower
  • Liked: 213
  • Likes Given: 161
« Reply #7 on: 11/06/2014 09:31 AM »
I just bought it for Kindle.

Thanks (to amazon, the publisher or the author???) for keeping the kindle price much lower and... surprise! even lower in my country than the price advertised: only $3.49!!!

I will be back with my comments about the book after reading it (is in a queue).

Tags: