Author Topic: Tiangong - Chinese Space Station  (Read 436575 times)

Offline ChileVerde

• La frontera
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Tiangong - Chinese Space Station
« Reply #60 on: 06/12/2013 01:15 pm »
A little on the division of labor for the space station project.  No surprise, but a reasonably well-placed source.

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/article/1258761/smooth-launch-shenzhou-x-crew-chinas-longest-manned-space-mission

Smooth launch for Shenzhou X crew on China's longest manned space mission
Stephen Chen at Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre, Inner Mongolia
Wednesday, 12 June, 2013 [Updated: 1:55PM]

<snip>

But the future of China's largest space launch centre [Jiuquan] is under a cloud, because it will soon be eclipsed by an even bigger one in Wenchang , Hainan , which is nearing completion.

Lu Jinron, the chief engineer at Jiuquan, said Wenchang would definitely have an impact on Jiuquan. Launches for the construction of a space laboratory would still be carried out by Jiuquan, but Wenchang would take over the heavy lifting job for China's ambitious space station project, scheduled for completion by 2020, he said.

"Jiuquan will still be responsible for all manned launches," he said. "We have more experience. We also have sunnier weather. We can provide absolute safety to the astronauts."
"I can’t tell you which asteroid, but there will be one in 2025," Bolden asserted.

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
  • Campo do Geręs - Portugal
  • Liked: 1969
  • Likes Given: 1156
« Reply #61 on: 06/13/2013 08:04 am »
I've never seen this one before. Note the lunar exploration vehicle docked to the station on the lower left corner.

Offline Lsquirrel

• Liked: 68
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #62 on: 06/13/2013 09:14 am »
I've never seen this one before. Note the lunar exploration vehicle docked to the station on the lower left corner.

it's fans CG,orginal post at here:
http://lt.cjdby.net/thread-1411514-1-1.html

Online Liss

• Moscow, Russia
  • Liked: 1084
  • Likes Given: 88
« Reply #63 on: 06/19/2013 10:43 am »
EDIT: I did some research and the first four characters (货运飞船) say "cargo ship". I wonder what the last two say.
Gouxing -- configuration.
This message reflects my personal opinion based on open sources of information.

Offline Guanglin_Galaxy

• Liked: 0
« Reply #64 on: 06/29/2013 03:23 am »
The latest article. All in Chinese but the abstract.
« Last Edit: 06/29/2013 05:35 am by Guanglin_Galaxy »

Offline Guanglin_Galaxy

• Liked: 0
« Reply #65 on: 06/29/2013 03:46 am »
The English version of the figures translated by myself, NOT OFFICIAL.
« Last Edit: 06/29/2013 05:36 am by Guanglin_Galaxy »

Offline Lsquirrel

« Reply #66 on: 09/17/2013 01:59 pm »
a official video about china future space station

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator

Offline Steven Pietrobon

• Adelaide, Australia
    • Steven Pietrobon's Space Archive
  • Liked: 32738
  • Likes Given: 8196
« Reply #68 on: 09/19/2013 06:40 am »
I thought these paragraphs were interesting:

Zhou Jianping, chief designer of China's manned space program, said the country will be able to rendezvous with other countries' spacecraft at the space station. China is also exploring the possibility of carrying out a joint rescue operation, according to Zhou.
If China starts taking foreign astronauts to outer space, we would like to be the first candidate," said Ahmed Bilal, chairman of the Pakistan Space and Upper Atmosphere Research Commission. We also want to cooperate with China in remote sensing technology and educating the public about space."

Akin's Laws of Spacecraft Design #1:  Engineering is done with numbers.  Analysis without numbers is only an opinion.

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #69 on: 09/19/2013 06:58 am »
I noted that the animations for Tiangong 2 suggesting that refuelling might come along while the space lab is unmanned, thus meaning that - like Tiangong 1 - only one docking port is required on the lab.   So, Tiangong 2 will not be based upon the modular station's core module or an experimental module.

Also it was specifically said that the module station should be assembled by 2020, suggesting that launches might take place in the 2018-2019 timescale.   Will a crew be launched before the automatic dockings of the two experiment modules?   I would expect that the first module will docking on the front longitudinal port and then be relocated to a side port shortly before the second module is launched: that way the station remains symmetrical for most of the time.

Finally, the Chinese are clearly thinking of the option of further expanding the station after the initial operations by docking a second core module and further experiment modules.   All very interesting to me.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Offline hal9000

• Liked: 5
« Reply #70 on: 09/19/2013 09:19 am »
At about 7:19 on the video we see the attached view.

Looks similar to a Mir/Salyut class core module.   I don't think we see enough of it to tell if there is a Shenzhou already docked.

Offline HappyMartian

• Tap the Moon's water!
  • Asia
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #71 on: 09/19/2013 09:38 am »
China's space station to open for foreign peers

I thought this comment was interesting:

"Othman said she is convinced that China will promote space exploration for all mankind with its resolve and huge investment.

I think China can lead in the international community's exploration of space. It has the political will to expand its manned space endeavors, and based on that will, China has ensured and set aside enough resources."

Has anyone seen any recent illustrations with a Lunar Lander docked to the ISS?
"The Moon is the most accessible destination for realizing commercial, exploration and scientific objectives beyond low Earth orbit." - LEAG

Offline Satori

• Global Moderator
« Reply #72 on: 09/19/2013 10:07 am »
I noted that the animations for Tiangong 2 suggesting that refuelling might come along while the space lab is unmanned, thus meaning that - like Tiangong 1 - only one docking port is required on the lab.   So, Tiangong 2 will not be based upon the modular station's core module or an experimental module.

But why to develop a second generation station with only a docking port? The Shenzhou has a limited cargo capacity and even if TG-2 is launched with a major cargo of supplies on board, the objectives of the following manned missions would be very limited in terms of prolonged presences in orbit in advance of the modular station.

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 7828
« Reply #73 on: 09/19/2013 05:20 pm »
1-I thought this comment was interesting:

"Othman said she is convinced that China will promote space exploration for all mankind with its resolve and huge investment.

I think China can lead in the international community's exploration of space. It has the political will to expand its manned space endeavors, and based on that will, China has ensured and set aside enough resources."

2-Has anyone seen any recent illustrations with a Lunar Lander docked to the ISS?

1-That reads like a standard UN bureaucrat not saying anything substantive.

China is going to have difficulty with signing up international partners because many countries are scared of them. Will they get South Korea? Japan? Vietnam? No. All their neighbors are concerned about China's regional ambitions. I doubt they will get the Indians, but for more complex reasons.

Then again, the United States' biggest problem with signing up international partners is that the U.S. is unreliable.

2-Did you mean ISS or the Chinese station? Any discussions of a U.S. return to the Moon bypass the ISS. It's in the wrong orbit.

Online Galactic Penguin SST

« Reply #74 on: 09/19/2013 06:05 pm »

2-Has anyone seen any recent illustrations with a Lunar Lander docked to the ISS?

China is going to have difficulty with signing up international partners because many countries are scared of them. Will they get South Korea? Japan? Vietnam? No. All their neighbors are concerned about China's regional ambitions. I doubt they will get the Indians, but for more complex reasons.

Then again, the United States' biggest problem with signing up international partners is that the U.S. is unreliable.

2-Did you mean ISS or the Chinese station? Any discussions of a U.S. return to the Moon bypass the ISS. It's in the wrong orbit.

AFAIK if they are getting foreign astronauts on their station it will be more likely from Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Venezuela, some African nations etc.
Astronomy & spaceflight geek penguin. In a relationship w/ Space Shuttle Discovery. Current Priority: Chasing the Chinese Spaceflight Wonder Egg & A Certain Chinese Mars Rover

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 2539
  • Likes Given: 8273
« Reply #75 on: 09/19/2013 06:10 pm »

AFAIK if they are getting foreign astronauts on their station it will be more likely from Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Venezuela, some African nations etc.
Brazil, Argentina.. and I doubt ESA would have too much trouble. In fact, I rather see them as the eventual link to the USA. BTW, the russians have some serious space cooperation, at least in technology transfer and training.

Offline HappyMartian

• Tap the Moon's water!
  • Asia
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #76 on: 09/20/2013 10:42 am »

I meant the ISS.

Some folks are not convinced the ISS is in the wrong orbit for Lunar and Mars missions. The ISS's orbital inclination of 51.65 degrees is about the same as Skylab's 50 degree orbital inclination, and different than Tiangong-1's 42.78 degrees orbital inclination.

The orbit of the International Space Station is a bit of a compromise for various LEO and beyond LEO missions, but on the plus side it periodically flies over the major launch sites of the world which can provide redundant launch access to the ISS.

Manned flight around Moon considered By Jonathan Amos Science correspondent, BBC News   October 11, 2010
At: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-11304559

"'We need the courage of starting a new era,' Europe's director of human spaceflight, Simonetta Di Pippo, told BBC News.

'The idea is to ascend to the space station the various elements of the mission, and then try to assemble the spacecraft at the ISS, and go from the orbit of the space station to the Moon.'"

And, "If humans ever do go to asteroids or Mars, the scale of the infrastructure needed to complete a safe round trip could not possibly be launched on a single rocket from Earth. It will have to be sent up on multiple flights and joined together in orbit.

Doing this assembly at the ISS means it can be overseen by astronauts with ready access to tools if needed."

Note also:

Soyuz to the Moon?   by Jeff Foust    August 2, 2004
At: http://www.thespacereview.com/article/199/1

"Once the module and upper stage were in orbit, a Soyuz spacecraft that had completed its half-year stay at the ISS would undock from the station and dock with the logistics module. The upper stage attached to the other end of the logistics module then fires, sending the complete spacecraft on a free-return circumlunar trajectory."

In considering the previously noted illustration, perhaps there is the possibility of China eventually staging cargo and human Lunar missions from its future Modular Space Station.
"The Moon is the most accessible destination for realizing commercial, exploration and scientific objectives beyond low Earth orbit." - LEAG

Offline Lsquirrel

« Reply #77 on: 09/20/2013 12:25 pm »
Accoding to official paper, Tiangong 2 is a 8 ton class space lab. it may be two docking port on the lab, but it will not be based upon core module of space station

Will a crew be launched before the automatic dockings of the two experiment modules
bingo!CNSA will be launched a core module as a test,sent shenzhou&crew to the test core module。if core module‘s tested successful,then launched two experiment modules to dock with core module,else we will  fix&modify core module's dedign, launch it to orbit
« Last Edit: 09/20/2013 12:44 pm by Lsquirrel »

Offline input~2

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 1540
  • Likes Given: 567
« Last Edit: 09/22/2013 01:05 pm by input~2 »

Offline Phillip Clark

• Hastings, England
  • Liked: 557
  • Likes Given: 1078
« Reply #79 on: 09/22/2013 04:08 pm »
If Tiangong 2 is going to be like Tiangong 1 then it could use the CZ-2F class launcher and thus fly from Jiuquan, not Wenchang.
I've always been crazy but it's kept me from going insane - WJ.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography