Author Topic: Ariane V Q&A  (Read 3746 times)

Online DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
Ariane V Q&A
« on: 09/20/2011 01:37 am »
What was the reason for changing the core stage foam color from the original sand-color to the grey color used today? Seems like the foam color change occurred with the first Ariane V ECA launch of 2007 carrying Astra-1L and Galaxy 17.

I never remember reading any reason for the change. This is just something that has been on my mind every now and then, most recently triggered by the rollout of the next Ariane V ECA from the BAF to ELA-3.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline RocketmanUS

• USA
  • Liked: 71
  • Likes Given: 31
Re: Ariane V Q&A
« Reply #1 on: 03/01/2014 02:45 am »
If Ariane V were to launch twice as many times a year as it has in the past would the per launch price drop to what is expected of Ariane VI per cost launches?

If not how many launches of the Ariane V are needed per year to get their cost down per launch to what Ariane VI is expected to cost per launch with it's expected launch rate?

Offline Remes

• Germany
  • Liked: 246
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #2 on: 03/01/2014 10:19 pm »
Ariane 5 has a much higher payload than Ariane 6. Would be a small  miracle, if you can get the costs equally low (also we don't know the cost of the Ariane 6).

But of course, building (and selling) 500 x Ariane 5 per year might help.
« Last Edit: 03/01/2014 10:23 pm by Remes »

Offline jebbo

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 608
  • Likes Given: 309
« Reply #3 on: 04/25/2014 11:26 am »
Are there any plans / schematics available for the AR5 table de lancement or anything else associated with ELA3)?

Similarly, any good high-res images?

--- Tony

Offline Remes

• Germany
  • Liked: 246
  • Likes Given: 142
« Reply #4 on: 10/14/2015 04:15 pm »
How is the amount of fuel/oxydizer controlled in the vulcain/vulcain 2 engine? I mean in a linear way, so that the total amount or the mixture ratio can be controlled?

In schematics I only see pneumatic valves driving ball-type valves. All only switch on/off valves.

The hot gas valve for the oxygen turbopump seems to have 2 working points (e.g. high and very high). Is that controlling the oxygen turbo pump speed? So it would be permanently switched on/off between two points to get a desireable oxygen turbo pump speed?

Offline DatUser14

• Liked: 191
  • Likes Given: 651
« Reply #5 on: 11/02/2015 04:44 pm »
Which Ariane V variant (current or proposed) has the highest LEO capacity? I'm working on a little space fiction that uses an Ariane V as a part of a Mars architecture.
Titan IVB was a cool rocket

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography