Author Topic: Shuttle Tile identification  (Read 60761 times)

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 380
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Shuttle Tile identification
« Reply #140 on: 03/26/2017 06:20 PM »
That is a great tile seeing as it is a space flown tile.

I couldn't find that specific number but I found some of the other 193017-4xx tiles on the inside edge of the outer starboard elevon. Based on the shape of your tile and that the damage assessments show us the underside in detail, I'd have to make an educated guess that your tile came from the top edge somewhere in the line shown in the image below.

Offline WhiteHat

• NW MS
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #141 on: 03/29/2017 09:58 PM »
Thanks for the help.  Area I was thinking too.  Sure wish the complete detailed "maps" were available and could be posted for all somewhere.  Would REALLY be interesting!! Sure would help all in locating too.  Thanks again!!

Offline Hotdog876

• Tennessee
  • Liked: 3
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #142 on: 05/10/2017 06:21 PM »
Hi all,

I have a tile I would like to find out more information on. It is a black 6" x 6" square and has a rather odd number:

VT70-006006-020-001009 BOTTOM D

All I've been able to gather is that this is a test tile, and likely was meant to go on the bottom of the orbiter.

My questions are, what do the other numbers mean? Can we tell where the tile would have went specifically, or which orbiter it might have been used with? What dates/time period was this test tile in use?

Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

Offline rayleighscatter

• Maryland
  • Liked: 380
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #143 on: 05/10/2017 07:49 PM »
Hi all,

I have a tile I would like to find out more information on. It is a black 6" x 6" square and has a rather odd number:

VT70-006006-020-001009 BOTTOM D

All I've been able to gather is that this is a test tile, and likely was meant to go on the bottom of the orbiter.

My questions are, what do the other numbers mean? Can we tell where the tile would have went specifically, or which orbiter it might have been used with? What dates/time period was this test tile in use?

Any information at all would be greatly appreciated.

As best as I can tell VT tiles are tiles for non-flight uses (testing, engineering, training, etc.). There doesn't seem to be any good information out there about these sorts of tiles though.

In all likelihood it was made from an existing template for a shuttle tile, and the 6x6 size is very common for tiles from the underside. Tiles were also made to be universal between orbiters (I think there's a handful of rare cases of variation among the 25,000 tiles though).

Time period is hard to pin down without any paperwork. I understand that in general tiles with solid number printing are from later in program and tiles with numbers made up in a kind of dot-matrix appearance are from earlier in the program.

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #144 on: 05/17/2017 10:33 AM »
A reminder to keep an eye out for this stolen hardware being put on sale (which I guess could be around this period now the story has eased away from people's minds)....

https://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=42715.0

Would be nice to catch the fool in the act.

Tags: