Author Topic: STS-135 Atlantis: Viewing (Going to launch, tickets, events, landing, etc.)  (Read 515713 times)

Offline s7uar7

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
I ended up watching from the bridge in the end; I had trouble finding the weather station in the dark and the rangers were stopping at parked cars at the side of the road so I headed back.  The people standing next to me spotted it coming in and I got a good clear view of it silhouted against the sky for about 5 - 10 seconds.  Also got a good sound recording of the sonic booms.  Thanks to all for the advice.
« Last Edit: 07/21/2011 01:19 pm by s7uar7 »

Offline stuart_wildcat

• Space Junkie
  • Davenport, FL
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 2
My hat is off to jcopella.  I was at the "weather station" this morning and it was awesome.  It's unbelievably close to the landing facility...the shuttle appeared huge silhouetted against the available light.

The only downside is now I regret not having done this for prior landings.  What a sight it must be during the day.

I second that - watching from that spot worked out really well. Enjoyed meeting you all.

Ditto on thanks for the great location.  Turns out being west of the landing path was the key as we got to see it against the backdrop of the first light of sunrise.  Ended up being very fitting that the day was dawning on a new era of spaceflight with the landing of the last shuttle mission.

Note to self, when going into a swamp in the early morning hours with a wife who must have blood like candy for the mosquitoes, BRING BUG SPRAY!  She was cursing my name as we drove back to a pharmacy to get afterbite and allergy pills but before we got home we were both glad we went and found the right spot to make a great memory.

IF ANYONE HAS ANY KIND OF VIDEO OR PICTURE PLEASE POST!  Both the SLR camera and the point and shoot I used for video couldn't pick up anything in the low light.  Also maybe share what you have for download if you don't mind.

Many thanks to all.  Was really awesome to follow this one all the way through and be one of the last human beings to see a space shuttle flying.

Offline janmb

• Regular
Atlantis surfing the morning air of KSC for the last time, photo courtesy of Geir Bjerke.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neonstz/5961002046/
Jan M Berg
Software Engineer
Kongsberg Defense and Aerospace
Norway

Offline jcopella

• Orlando, FL
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 26
Atlantis surfing the morning air of KSC for the last time, photo courtesy of Geir Bjerke.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/neonstz/5961002046/

Wow.

"I don't think the country is really going to realize what a good deal that we had in the space shuttle until we don't have it anymore." -- Wayne Hale

Offline JoeC

• Orlando, FL

Amazing.  That's the photo I tried to get and failed.

Offline MarekCyzio

My hat is off to jcopella.  I was at the "weather station" this morning and it was awesome.  It's unbelievably close to the landing facility...the shuttle appeared huge silhouetted against the available light.

The only downside is now I regret not having done this for prior landings.  What a sight it must be during the day.

I should have gone further onto 402 to the weather station. Was at the top of the causeway bridge didn't see anything.  Saw something moving north-to-south right where the runway is.  A light of some kind.  Does the shuttle have NO lights?

I was at the bridge, too and the shuttle was clearly visible for around 2-3 seconds. Not enough light to snap a photo.

Did you see its form/silhouette or a light? At altitude or treeline?

I saw it about 2-3 seconds before it landed - it was directly east from the bridge. I did not expect to see anything, so it made me happy :) One day, when I have my grandchildren and the Science Channel airs "The Last Shuttle", I will be able to say "I was there, right there!" and my grandkids will say "WOW!!!!, Grandpa, you are soooo old!" :)

Offline MarekCyzio

Amazing.  That's the photo I tried to get and failed.

I did not even try :( The light conditions asked for Nikon D3S and one of these crazy bright 50 mm lenses (F/1.2) + a close location. And after my problems with STS-134, I do not try to get to close to rockets anymore.

BTW - I posted a video on my blog showing how people reacted to the sonic boom. Pretty funny :)
« Last Edit: 07/21/2011 02:47 pm by MarekCyzio »

Offline JoeC

• Orlando, FL
but we had great sounds on approach and very clearly heard the drag chute deploy.
Ah!  So that's what that "pop" sound was.  I heard it as well.  The only thing I could think of at the time was that it was the wheels hitting the ground, but it must have been the chute.

Offline Sarah

• Shuttle Hugger
  • 5 out of 4 people have problems with fractions
  • Iowa
  • Liked: 8
I was on 402 somewhere. I'm not sure exactly where I was. I had a decent view. Too bad there's so many trees around. I was amazed at how fast Atlantis was going. I think if you blink you might miss it. Sonic booms caught me off guard and scared the hell out of me. Lol

Are there any activities at KSCVC today for the final landing or end of the program?
« Last Edit: 07/21/2011 03:36 pm by Sarah »
Photo Album
Launches: 51L, 133, 134, 135
Scrubs: 70
Landings: 135

Offline leetdan

• Space Coast
  • Liked: 323
  • Likes Given: 282

Echoing this!  The sights and sounds were awesome, thanks for the recommendation.  There were probably 20-30 people there, I couldn't really tell for sure since I got there with just a couple of minutes to spare.  I think I'll try to watch the SCA ferry flights take off from this same place when the time comes.

Offline sts126

Well done for those who were able to get on 402 or the max brewer causeway to catch a landing. thanks for picture. nasa tv will have replays of tow in etc. thanks for pic link more light than it looks on tv but that is the way it always is. Hopefully someone was on one of those ksc tour buses I see passing in the background of Atlantis on the ramp.
First time I heard those booms I was recording the landing from kscvc you can see me jerk the video camera. priceless memory.
« Last Edit: 07/22/2011 05:35 am by sts126 »
Don't worry ... it IS Rocket Science. Dark matter somewhere in the house, just can't find it now.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography