Author Topic: STS-130 Endeavour: Viewing (Going to launch, etc.)  (Read 140098 times)

Offline Sierra297

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: STS-130 Endeavour: Viewing (Going to launch, etc.)
« Reply #140 on: 02/07/2010 05:15 pm »
Last night we arrived early (9:30) for our Causeway Viewing for the Dine with an Astronaut. Timing wise everything worked out great.  Anyone now how the line to park and go through screening was later, or how it might be later tonight? 

We are thinking of a arriving later but with enough time to park, make it though screening, and make the last couple rounds of buses.  My five year old is going to be a wreck, and want to minimize the damage.

Thanks.

Offline TJL

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 95
  • Likes Given: 159
« Reply #141 on: 02/07/2010 05:38 pm »
My experience with launch scrubs is that less viewers show up than did for original date.
It's hard to say how many will not return however, with only 5 launches remaining.

Offline bkellysky

• Selfie in Surveyor's camera mirror at NASM
  • Ardsley, New York, USA
    • Heads UP!
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 249
« Reply #142 on: 02/07/2010 09:10 pm »
Two questions:

1) Anyone on the east coast of the US going out to see Endeavour come up the east coast during powered flight?  I was ready to go this morning, but I don't think I can do the earlier wake up on Monday and still have a productive week at work.  The moon was in the southeast, and it would have been a really cool sight.

2)  At the end of the first orbit, will the shuttle be passing over the eastern US?  About 90 minutes after launch, it will be twilight here and the shuttle would be visible.  There is an ISS overflight here in the NYC area at 5:32EST.  Any chance we'll see the shuttle at the end of the first orbit?  I haven't been able to find a web site that plots the first orbit.

bob

Offline John M

• Upstate SC
« Reply #143 on: 02/07/2010 09:15 pm »
Two questions:

1) Anyone on the east coast of the US going out to see Endeavour come up the east coast during powered flight?  I was ready to go this morning, but I don't think I can do the earlier wake up on Monday and still have a productive week at work.  The moon was in the southeast, and it would have been a really cool sight.

2)  At the end of the first orbit, will the shuttle be passing over the eastern US?  About 90 minutes after launch, it will be twilight here and the shuttle would be visible.  There is an ISS overflight here in the NYC area at 5:32EST.  Any chance we'll see the shuttle at the end of the first orbit?  I haven't been able to find a web site that plots the first orbit.

bob

Im going out. Skipped my usual afternoon nap to make sure I get enough sleep, but Ill only lose an hour or so anyways. Even if Endeavor had gotten up this morning, I wouldnt have been able to see it, too many clouds then, and if it doesnt clear up anymore than what it is now, Ill watch it on tv, then roll over and sleep some more.

Offline fiddler

• Waterford, MI
« Reply #144 on: 02/07/2010 09:31 pm »
Last night we arrived early (9:30) for our Causeway Viewing for the Dine with an Astronaut. Timing wise everything worked out great.  Anyone now how the line to park and go through screening was later, or how it might be later tonight? 

We are thinking of a arriving later but with enough time to park, make it though screening, and make the last couple rounds of buses.  My five year old is going to be a wreck, and want to minimize the damage.

Thanks.
Last night at 11:30 the line went well over 1/2 the length of the parking
lot. The line moved pretty quick. It took about an hour to get in.
I think I may show up later tonight since a lot of people probably won't
show up due to the Super Bowl and having to go to work in the A.M.

Hopefully I can find a causeway ticket that some one does not need. :-\

Offline TJL

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #145 on: 02/07/2010 10:10 pm »
Two questions:

bob

1.) Hi Bob...I plan (again) on seeing Endeavour fly by Long Island early Monday morning.
Forecast here is for clear skies.
The last 30 seconds or so of powered flight and MECO is a pretty amazing site from here!

2.) A friend who tracks satellites explained it like this..."That 25-minute delay now places Endeavour mostly in the Earth's shadow during that first pass (now set for around 5:54 a.m.)!  The altitude of the orbiter on that first circuit of the globe doesn't get any higher than 110 miles high . . . not high enough at that altitude to catch the light of the Sun as it begins to rise above the Atlantic far to its southeast".

With this possibly the last night launch of shuttle program, I don't mind losing some sleep.

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #146 on: 02/07/2010 10:36 pm »
Orlando TV station said if liftoff does not occur tomorrow they would not make another attempt until the weekend. I have not heard that officially though. Any info on whether that is the case? If so tomorrow is my last chance since I am heading home no later than Wednesday. Maybe shuttle must stand down to accommodate SDO on Wednesday.

Offline bkellysky

• Selfie in Surveyor's camera mirror at NASM
  • Ardsley, New York, USA
    • Heads UP!
  • Liked: 79
  • Likes Given: 249
« Reply #147 on: 02/07/2010 10:48 pm »
Hey, TJL, thanks for the info on the first orbit and the great explanation from your friend!

Offline TJL

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #148 on: 02/07/2010 11:23 pm »
Orlando TV station said if liftoff does not occur tomorrow they would not make another attempt until the weekend. I have not heard that officially though. Any info on whether that is the case? If so tomorrow is my last chance since I am heading home no later than Wednesday. Maybe shuttle must stand down to accommodate SDO on Wednesday.
Bill Harwood's site indicates the same.
If for some reason, they can't go Monday a.m., Atlas 5 gets the range and Endeavours' next attempt is Feb. 13.

Offline AnalogMan

• Cambridge, UK
  • Liked: 1602
  • Likes Given: 50
« Reply #149 on: 02/07/2010 11:41 pm »
Bill Harwood's site indicates the same.
If for some reason, they can't go Monday a.m., Atlas 5 gets the range and Endeavours' next attempt is Feb. 13.

Agency Flight Readiness Review presentations (on L2) also confirm this - if for any reason this attempt is scrubbed, there will be a 120hr (5-day) scrub turnaround while Atlas has the range.

Offline TJL

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #150 on: 02/08/2010 08:32 am »
From Long Island, N.Y. was able to see powered flight, MECO and ET sep.
Unbelievable view with crescent Moon below flight path.
« Last Edit: 02/08/2010 08:32 am by TJL »

Offline mike robel

• Extreme Veteran
  • Merritt Island, FL
  • Liked: 369
  • Likes Given: 260
« Reply #151 on: 02/08/2010 08:55 am »
View from Merritt Island on the SR-528 Causeway.  Was able to follow it to within about 30 seconds of MECO, when someone with a car wanted by me.  Nice roar and an appreciative crowd.  Four more to go.  Now a nap and off to work.
« Last Edit: 02/08/2010 08:57 am by mike robel »

Offline fura

• Launches: 130 Scrubs:125
  • Mariefred, Sweden
« Reply #152 on: 02/08/2010 11:35 am »
View from Merritt Island on the SR-528 Causeway.  Was able to follow it to within about 30 seconds of MECO, when someone with a car wanted by me.  Nice roar and an appreciative crowd.  Four more to go.  Now a nap and off to work.
I watched the launch from the Nasa causeway launch viewing site (foxtrot) , it looked bleak just before the T-9 minute hold started with a lot of cloud cover but it cleared before the hold ended. Man, expectations and emotions ran wild then .. a cheer went up from the crowd as all polls where GO for launch!
I don't have any photos from the launch, focused on taking it all in as I was a firsttimer but I let the camcorder run throughut, hopefully I got some decent video .. and the noise was unbelievable!
I could see the SRB:s separate with my own eyes (at least that is what I thought it was).
And it became bright as day when the SRB:s lit, just amazing!

And thanks to Chris for the excellent work with the NSF dinner, just as amazing as the launch.

Regards/Mats from Sweden

Offline DirtyDeeds

• Wilmington, NC
« Reply #153 on: 02/08/2010 02:27 pm »

A friend and I, plus several other people from around town, went down to Fort Fisher (near Wilmington, NC) to the secluded southern tip of the island to watch. We saw it from about 1 minute, 30 seconds MET to MECO. It looked amazing with the SRBs taking it up. A beautiful bright red color with a long, prominent flame trail, making a very apparent arc over the ocean. It was much like seeing it from the Cape, but in miniature. What blew me away more than seeing it at the Cape, though, was that you got a real idea of how amazingly fast the thing goes. In the time it takes me to take my garbage can from the side of the house to the street, the Shuttle went from being stationary in Florida to being over 400 miles away, off the coast of NC, due East of me. Another 3 minutes brought it 30 degrees east of North according to my position. In just 7 minutes or so, the thing had gone from horizon to horizon at about a 150-degree angle. Incredible.

Offline Walter S

• WV/FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #154 on: 02/08/2010 08:47 pm »
Below is a link with my shots from the Shuttle launch, having not seen one in around 10 years I must say that it was a great experience. Sunday I was at the turn basin, but Monday I had the choice of going to Banana River, I went ahead and chose Banana River. Enjoy the photos!

PS. More will be added shortly.

http://scriptunasimages.smugmug.com/Galleries/Events/STS-130-Endeavour-Launch/

Offline smith5se

« Reply #155 on: 02/09/2010 03:26 am »
So we have some before and during launch pictures, just thought I'd add in a few afters :) Was taken on a tour today of KSC around 5:30pm at this point it looked as if most debris was cleared and Hydrogen trucks were coming from pad. Also, charred fence was wicked awesome!

http://www.twitpic.com/1260ol LC39A (sorry not very good at attaching these...)

http://www.twitpic.com/126327 Charred fence (see full view, gives a better picture of it)
My views are mine, and mine alone and DO NOT reflect that of my employer nor my place of employment.

Offline John M

• Upstate SC
« Reply #156 on: 02/09/2010 10:36 am »

A friend and I, plus several other people from around town, went down to Fort Fisher (near Wilmington, NC) to the secluded southern tip of the island to watch. We saw it from about 1 minute, 30 seconds MET to MECO. It looked amazing with the SRBs taking it up. A beautiful bright red color with a long, prominent flame trail, making a very apparent arc over the ocean. It was much like seeing it from the Cape, but in miniature. What blew me away more than seeing it at the Cape, though, was that you got a real idea of how amazingly fast the thing goes. In the time it takes me to take my garbage can from the side of the house to the street, the Shuttle went from being stationary in Florida to being over 400 miles away, off the coast of NC, due East of me. Another 3 minutes brought it 30 degrees east of North according to my position. In just 7 minutes or so, the thing had gone from horizon to horizon at about a 150-degree angle. Incredible.

I went out but never saw anything, must have changed from earlier since the launch was scrubbed one time. Was a little dissapointed, but hey, Im going in July so Im still excited aboutthat!

Offline TNCMAXQ

• CT
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #157 on: 02/09/2010 12:02 pm »
I didn't see too many videos of liftoff yesterday since it hardly compared with being there. ;) But I just watched the NASA TV video and see there was some frost on the tank. That is unusual.

I thought Allard Beutel's pre launch commentary was quite good. However in those final seconds he seemed a little hesitant. Almost sounded like he was asking "zero?" at T-0. ;-) That is one reason why watching out at the Banana River site I was almost afraid we were going to see a last second abort. Thankfully that has not happened for many years though, and with luck they will get through these remaining 4 missions without that occurring again.

But having eyewitnessed the engine shutdowns on 41D, 51F, and 68, I think of those events with every launch and practically hold my breath until I see the solids ignite. I was also there for last second scrubs on STS 56 and 93, but saw them lift off a couple of days later. So my past experiences always have me aware that things can go wrong right up to the end.  130 went perfectly though and I am thrilled I was there to see it.

Offline astrobrian

• NSF Photographer
  • Austin Texas
  • Liked: 23
  • Likes Given: 112
« Reply #158 on: 02/09/2010 03:16 pm »
I didn't see too many videos of liftoff yesterday since it hardly compared with being there. ;) But I just watched the NASA TV video and see there was some frost on the tank. That is unusual.

I thought Allard Beutel's pre launch commentary was quite good. However in those final seconds he seemed a little hesitant. Almost sounded like he was asking "zero?" at T-0. ;-) That is one reason why watching out at the Banana River site I was almost afraid we were going to see a last second abort. Thankfully that has not happened for many years though, and with luck they will get through these remaining 4 missions without that occurring again.

But having eyewitnessed the engine shutdowns on 41D, 51F, and 68, I think of those events with every launch and practically hold my breath until I see the solids ignite. I was also there for last second scrubs on STS 56 and 93, but saw them lift off a couple of days later. So my past experiences always have me aware that things can go wrong right up to the end.  130 went perfectly though and I am thrilled I was there to see it.
No fear on the frost wrt the ET. The weather conditions being cold, combined with the tank having gone through a cryo cycle the night before played a part in what you saw.

Offline parham55

« Reply #159 on: 02/09/2010 08:14 pm »
For those of you on the causeway I have a question that I have never found a detailed answer on: When the launch was scrubbed did you purchase another $56 ticket for the next attempt, and if so where did you do this and was it a pretty straightforward process?
Thanks, and I hope to have tickets for March and hope to meet some fellow NSF'ers!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography