Author Topic: STS-130 Endeavour: Viewing (Going to launch, etc.)  (Read 140071 times)

Offline cdhutch

• Suffolk, VA
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: STS-130 Endeavour: Viewing (Going to launch, etc.)
« Reply #100 on: 02/03/2010 01:52 am »
I purchased a pair of Causeway and Dine with an Astronaut tickets, but then picked up some congressional passes.  PM me if you're interested in purchasing the tickets.  I'd plan to turn them over in person Saturday night at the NSF dinner.

Offline texasmomof2

« Reply #101 on: 02/03/2010 01:59 am »
Thanks. There are 4 of us, though.

Offline dafixer

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #102 on: 02/03/2010 02:09 pm »
I purchased a pair of Causeway and Dine with an Astronaut tickets, but then picked up some congressional passes.  PM me if you're interested in purchasing the tickets.  I'd plan to turn them over in person Saturday night at the NSF dinner.
PM sent!

Offline foltster

• NC
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 33
« Reply #103 on: 02/03/2010 04:02 pm »
Anyone else planning to view this one from titusville/spaceview park area?  What time would you recommend getting into titusville in order to park relatively close to the park?

Offline texasmomof2

« Reply #104 on: 02/03/2010 04:09 pm »
Folster, I went to the park last July, but it was scrubbed. i left Orlando at noon for a 7 pm launch. traffic was good and i got a parking space at a bank right there that was closed because it was a Saturday,I think. People continued to come up to the very end, but I cant even imagine how far they had to park, or where.Also someone on another forum told me to go on 95 going home, and go to Melbourne and then back to Orlando as it is more miles, but faster after a launch. I did not do it because we got lost afterwards,long story, and it took us about 3 hours to get back going that toll. So there is some info for you. I am staying in Cocoa this time as we are only doing the shuttle.

Offline texasmomof2

« Reply #105 on: 02/04/2010 01:02 am »
OK I have one more question for anybody. I emailed KSC and she sent a nice email back that things will be going on that night, including the tour bus that will go to Apollo/Saturn V Center. Now I looked on the map and that place is VERY close to the launch pad. So if we got on this tour bus, are we actually going to go and be able to see Endeavour very close???? We only have Visitor center tickets, but when I saw how close that stop of the tour is in relation to the launch pad. I was in disbelief. So would we really be close??? It will be so worth getting there early if I know that I have a chance to at least get close for a few minutes. Anyone tell me if this is the case? The KSC klady said the tour bus would make 2 trips that evening.

AND thanks to everyone on here who has been so great in answering my questions. I leave Friday morning at 4 am from Texas to drive to Florida, so hope I have some luck and get to see it. Thanks again...Naydene

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #106 on: 02/04/2010 01:10 am »
OK I have one more question for anybody. I emailed KSC and she sent a nice email back that things will be going on that night, including the tour bus that will go to Apollo/Saturn V Center. Now I looked on the map and that place is VERY close to the launch pad. So if we got on this tour bus, are we actually going to go and be able to see Endeavour very close???? We only have Visitor center tickets, but when I saw how close that stop of the tour is in relation to the launch pad. I was in disbelief. So would we really be close??? It will be so worth getting there early if I know that I have a chance to at least get close for a few minutes. Anyone tell me if this is the case? The KSC klady said the tour bus would make 2 trips that evening.

The Apollo/Saturn V center is over three miles from the pad and on the other side of Banana Creek. Gotta wonder if the map is accurately labeled.

Here is the Saturn V center, you can zoom out to see the pads to the east:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Saturn+V+center+KSC&sll=28.604813,-80.668718&sspn=0.003876,0.003406&ie=UTF8&radius=0.1&filter=0&rq=1&ev=p&hq=Saturn+V+center+KSC&hnear=&ll=28.603551,-80.668235&spn=0.003876,0.003406&t=h&z=18
JRF

Offline ChrisGebhardt

• Assistant Managing Editor
  • ad astra scientia
  • ~1 AU
  • Liked: 7877
  • Likes Given: 853
« Reply #107 on: 02/04/2010 01:18 am »

AND thanks to everyone on here who has been so great in answering my questions. I leave Friday morning at 4 am from Texas to drive to Florida, so hope I have some luck and get to see it. Thanks again...Naydene

You will see the pad, but the RSS and FSS will block all views of Endeavour, the ET, and the SRBs.

Offline Jorge

• Liked: 529
  • Likes Given: 67
« Reply #108 on: 02/04/2010 01:21 am »

You will see the pad, but the RSS and FSS will block all views of Endeavour, the ET, and the SRBs.

Right - I forgot to mention that too. But she'll see the shuttle as soon as it clears the tower, and (depending on the weather) the sound is a lot more spectacular at Banana Creek than at, say, the causeway.
JRF

Offline texasmomof2

« Reply #109 on: 02/04/2010 01:27 am »
Well I will be back to the visitor center before it goes up, which I already knew. But still if its 3 miles, I should at least get to see what it looks like a little closer.Looking forward to the Visitor center veiw, though. I watched some youtubes so that I knew what to expect from visitor center, and it looks like it will be amazing.

Offline texasmomof2

« Reply #110 on: 02/04/2010 01:35 am »
So I am a little confused. So if I went to the Saturn site on the tour just to go out there and back before the launch, It the Endeavour not visible? I take it that it may be behind trees as well, kind of like the visitor center? Will not try to do it if I can't see it sitting on launch pad.

Offline mceddiemac

• North Carolina
« Reply #111 on: 02/04/2010 01:36 am »
So if we got on this tour bus, are we actually going to go and be able to see Endeavour very close????

This is your view of the launch pads from the Saturn V center. 39B is on the left, 39A (Endeavour) is on the right. The other picture shows 39A zoomed in a bit. As Chris and Jorge have noted, you really cant see the shuttle very well from this vantage point due to the RSS & FSS. But will be definitely closer than what you'll see at the VC

Offline texasmomof2

« Reply #112 on: 02/04/2010 01:40 am »
Thank you so much for those pics. That put things in focus a little better. May try to see it after all.Its hard to understand when you have not been there before.

Offline Walter S

• WV/FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #113 on: 02/04/2010 02:40 am »
If you are arriving a couple days before you could always head over to Playalinda Beach.

Offline jeff2space

• P.E.
  • Wisconsin
« Reply #114 on: 02/04/2010 03:12 am »
If you are arriving a couple days before you could always head over to Playalinda Beach.

Playalinda closed at 6:00 PM today and will not reopen until the day after launch.

Offline Walter S

• WV/FL
  • Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #115 on: 02/04/2010 03:35 am »

Playalinda closed at 6:00 PM today and will not reopen until the day after launch.

Well scratch that, I do recall hearing that it usually closes 3 days before launch now that I think about it.

Offline texasmomof2

« Reply #116 on: 02/04/2010 04:46 am »
I am so glad someone brought up PLayalinda. I was going to ask that but thought I had already asked too much. For the future, if I ever get to Florida this summer,It looks like 5 days in advance that beach closes, but is it really close and could you get a good look at the shuttle after it has been rolled out? I always planned to be there a day before and then a couple days in case it delays, but if you planned it like 5 days in advance, would that beach be a fabulous place to see it up close, as long as I knew it was not cloesed yet? Isn't that just like a mile away? I may have this plan if it gets delayed this time and I have to come back for July.

Offline lsullivan411

• NASASpaceflight KSC Photographer
  • Liked: 75
« Reply #117 on: 02/04/2010 05:15 am »
I am so glad someone brought up PLayalinda. I was going to ask that but thought I had already asked too much. For the future, if I ever get to Florida this summer,It looks like 5 days in advance that beach closes, but is it really close and could you get a good look at the shuttle after it has been rolled out? I always planned to be there a day before and then a couple days in case it delays, but if you planned it like 5 days in advance, would that beach be a fabulous place to see it up close, as long as I knew it was not cloesed yet? Isn't that just like a mile away? I may have this plan if it gets delayed this time and I have to come back for July.

I would say the parking area closest to pad A is about 3 1/2 miles away from the pad.  I have never done it, but supposedly you can walk about a mile down the beach to where there is a fence, so possibly you can get withing 2 1/2 miles of the pad -- the view is very good, camera shots don't do it justice really. 

Closure is always 6pm about 3 days prior to launch.
« Last Edit: 02/04/2010 05:19 am by lsullivan411 »

Offline SFC Don

• I've got the fever...
  • Madison, WI by way of Fort Bliss, TX
  • Liked: 4
Looking for 1 ticket
« Reply #118 on: 02/04/2010 05:59 am »
All:

Thru a little sleight-of-hand and careful maneuvering, I was able to get a very reasonable round trip from El Paso to Orlando this weekend.  So now I have to try to find a launch viewing ticket at the last minute.

Thinking very strongly about the Island Boat Lines tour, but if I could get to the causeway I think I'd really like that.  I was there for STS-125.

Anybody have one extra ticket, or a good idea where I might find one?

Also, saw the posts re: NSF dinner.  Looking forward to some great Dixie Crossroads chow!

Don
STS-125 (Causeway, Gator Tours, first launch)
STS-129 (Press Site, NASA Tweetup)
STS-130 (???, first night launch)
« Last Edit: 02/04/2010 06:32 am by SFC Don »

Offline jthodges

• California
Re: Looking for 1 ticket
« Reply #119 on: 02/04/2010 01:56 pm »
Anybody have one extra ticket, or a good idea where I might find one?

As of yesterday morning, Dolphin Tours was still selling causeway tickets.  They aren't available online, but you may want to try giving them a call (407-352-4646).  The problem with them (other than the price) is that their nearest pickup is Orlando... though maybe you don't mind that since you are flying in to Orlando.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography