Author Topic: XCOR and the Lynx rocket  (Read 318750 times)

Offline Gliderflyer

Re: XCOR and the Lynx rocket
« Reply #1100 on: 04/07/2017 04:07 AM »
ULA has the 5H25 engine and hydrogen pump on display at their Space Symposium booth:

All that hard work developing the engine and piston pump and they end up a permanent part of a ULA static display?!??  That can't be a good thing for the Lynx program..  :(
Easy on the doom and gloom ;). The 5H25 was a development engine that we tested in 2015, and while the technology is similar, it isn't part of the Lynx program. This engine and pump were built for ULA as a subscale demonstrator for the 8H21. Also, as I understand it, the hardware isn't a permanent display and we sent it to them just for the conference.
I tried it at home

Online meekGee

• N. California
  • Liked: 3607
  • Likes Given: 741
« Reply #1101 on: 04/07/2017 04:13 AM »
ULA has the 5H25 engine and hydrogen pump on display at their Space Symposium booth:

All that hard work developing the engine and piston pump and they end up a permanent part of a ULA static display?!??  That can't be a good thing for the Lynx program..  :(

The Lynx didn't use Hydrogen - it had Kerosene and LOX pumps IIRC.

EDIT:
You know what, that was bad form.   The Lynx DOESN'T use Hydrogen.
« Last Edit: 04/07/2017 04:15 AM by meekGee »
ABCD - Always Be Counting Down

Offline TrevorMonty

« Reply #1102 on: 04/07/2017 04:36 AM »

Easy on the doom and gloom ;). The 5H25 was a development engine that we tested in 2015, and while the technology is similar, it isn't part of the Lynx program. This engine and pump were built for ULA as a subscale demonstrator for the 8H21. Also, as I understand it, the hardware isn't a permanent display and we sent it to them just for the conference.
How's it going with 8H21, are you making good progress?. Any ETA of test firing?

Offline Gliderflyer

« Reply #1103 on: 04/07/2017 02:58 PM »
How's it going with 8H21, are you making good progress?. Any ETA of test firing?
We are making progress, but I can't give out any specific details or dates.
I tried it at home

Offline baldusi

• Buenos Aires, Argentina
  • Liked: 1389
  • Likes Given: 4311
« Reply #1104 on: 04/07/2017 08:50 PM »
We are making progress, but I can't give out any specific details or dates.
Why 5H and 8H?

Offline Gliderflyer

« Reply #1105 on: 04/08/2017 06:26 PM »
Why 5H and 8H?
XCOR uses a number/letter/number format for engine designations. The first number is the thrust class of the engine, the letter is the propellant combination (LOX/hydrogen in this case), and the second number is the design number.
I tried it at home

Tags: