Author Topic: Theoretical FTL  (Read 27046 times)

Offline alexw

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Theoretical FTL
« Reply #60 on: 12/07/2011 03:04 AM »
I recall a lot of "speculative-fiction" about anti-matter when it was first discovered/postulated, much of it dealing with the concepts and ideas of what-and-how "contra-terrene" ...
     You do? That was 1928-1932. How much speculative fiction was written at the time, and were you born circa 1910?
    -Alex

Offline RanulfC

• Heus tu Omnis! Vigilate Hoc!
  • Liked: 760
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #61 on: 12/07/2011 01:04 PM »
I recall a lot of "speculative-fiction" about anti-matter when it was first discovered/postulated, much of it dealing with the concepts and ideas of what-and-how "contra-terrene" ...
     You do? That was 1928-1932. How much speculative fiction was written at the time, and were you born circa 1910?
    -Alex
Why yes "I do" it's called a "small-town-library" and a good majority of the "Science Fiction" section dated from that period yes :)

But the majority of the stuff I'm thinking of was written around the mid-to-late 40s and beyond.
http://beamjockey.livejournal.com/73304.html

SeeTee-CT-ContraTerrene Matter :)

When was I born? ...
"I was born in an small village in Macidonia and fell in battle, but did not die... I have been called many names in my life, Lazerus, Mathusala and a thousand more you do not know...." ::::grin:::

Quote from: JohnFornaro
Randy.  Here.  Take two of these and call me in the morning....
Oh NO you don't! You folks are NOT getting me with that one again! Last time I woke up under the "care" of large hairy guy named "Phil" and one of those formal coats where the sleeves tie in the back! You are NOT fooling me again! ;)

Randy
From The Amazing Catstronaut on the Black Arrow LV:
British physics, old chap. It's undignified to belch flames and effluvia all over the pad, what. A true gentlemen's orbital conveyance lifts itself into the air unostentatiously, with the minimum of spectacle and a modicum of grace. Not like our American cousins' launch vehicles, eh?

Offline JohnFornaro

• Not an expert
  • Delta-t is the salient metric.
  • Planet Eaarth
    • Design / Program Associates
  • Liked: 602
  • Likes Given: 311
« Reply #62 on: 12/07/2011 02:01 PM »
Dang.  Foiled again!
Sometimes I just flat out don't get it.

Offline colbourne

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #63 on: 12/21/2016 02:55 AM »
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/scientists-measure-antimatter-atom-for-1st-time-1.3903268

"The next phase of the group's experiment, ALPHA-G, will study gravitational forces on antihydrogen, and is expected to take place at the end of 2017. Specifically, the researchers want to see if antihydrogen will "fall up," suggesting that the two repel each other. If it does which Menary is somewhat skeptical about it could mean that half the galaxies we see are antimatter galaxies.

The physicists hope that eventually their experiments will provide scientists with yet another piece in the puzzle as to how our universe came to be."

So we should find out whether this will work within a couple of years. As a means of transport I think it is unlikely to ever be of use but it may have potential for use in communications.

Offline Stormbringer

• Liked: 214
  • Likes Given: 77
« Reply #64 on: 12/21/2016 03:01 AM »
there is more articles today related to the above article topic. They have measured the emission spectra for the s1 to p something or the other transition of anti-hydrogen. it is pretty close to the measured spectra for regular hydrogen with the remainder probably down to measurement precision.
When antigravity is outlawed only outlaws will have antigravity.

Offline colbourne

• Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #65 on: 02/02/2017 04:12 AM »
http://newatlas.com/dipole-repeller-void-pushing-milky-way/47648/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=3a3d9a1e90-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-3a3d9a1e90-90223594

Enormous extragalactic void is pushing on the Milky Way. Astronomers have now discovered a huge extragalactic void, called the Dipole Repeller, that's pushing us away.

Offline aceshigh

• Liked: 161
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #66 on: 03/23/2017 08:16 PM »

Offline dustinthewind

• U.S. of A.
  • Liked: 189
  • Likes Given: 208
« Reply #67 on: 03/24/2017 12:30 AM »
http://newatlas.com/dipole-repeller-void-pushing-milky-way/47648/?utm_source=Gizmag+Subscribers&utm_campaign=3a3d9a1e90-UA-2235360-4&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_65b67362bd-3a3d9a1e90-90223594

Enormous extragalactic void is pushing on the Milky Way. Astronomers have now discovered a huge extragalactic void, called the Dipole Repeller, that's pushing us away.

I think it might be possible that the dark voids are another universe where gravitational objects what pull in their space expel it out into our universe.  We experience the gravity of this other universe as negative gravity.  This universe may have an excess of anti-matter rather than matter.  Anti-matter possibly being negative energy matter but its time runs backwards.  Negative energy matter already behaves as if its time arrow is backward so reversing time for it makes it behave as if its time arrow runs forward. 

Gravity appears to contract space into it pulling in whats around it.  Think of it as a Lorentz contraction in an accelerating frame.  So if space flows in where does it go?  Into the other universe maybe.  How does their universe perceive our gravity.  As repulsive possibly or as space flowing out which is repulsive to the matter in the other universe as well.  So they perceive us as dark matter and maybe we perceive them as dark matter.  That is they expel space from their dimension into ours and also appear repulsive.  Dipole repulsers.  The only thing different in this universe is because of the dominance of anti-matter time generally runs in reverse but its not a problem because all the matter is negative energy matter so it just behaves like normal matter in reverse time. 

Anyways just some speculation on my part.  Thought you all might find it interesting. 

Offline Spaniard

• Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #68 on: 04/05/2017 07:45 AM »
Assuming that antimatter generates antigravity, I think that there is some bad concepts around it. It's not that antimatter was repealed by gravity. It was that antimatter would generate a negative space curvature.
So, the answers to your questions will be the same that the standard model.

It will change other things. For example, photons shouldn't generate space curvature/gravity (never tested as you need a enormous quantity of photons in a small place to "weight" something).
Antimatter would be generate negative curvature, so it will never form planets or stars. Most antimatter would be in intergalactic space. It would generate negative pressure on galaxies.

Offline dustinthewind

• U.S. of A.
  • Liked: 189
  • Likes Given: 208
« Reply #69 on: 04/10/2017 01:07 AM »
Assuming that antimatter generates antigravity, I think that there is some bad concepts around it. It's not that antimatter was repealed by gravity. It was that antimatter would generate a negative space curvature.

It will change other things. For example, photons shouldn't generate space curvature/gravity (never tested as you need a enormous quantity of photons in a small place to "weight" something).
Antimatter would be generate negative curvature, so it will never form planets or stars. Most antimatter would be in intergalactic space. It would generate negative pressure on galaxies.

No, it is believed anti-matter generates normal gravity as far as I know.  It also takes positive energy to make anti-matter.  What I was speculating is that anti-matter is negative energy in reverse time which makes it behave like normal matter but when it comes into contact with normal matter the time and then energy cancel out inducing a wave in the vacuum which carries the effective mass elsewhere.  This being why when an electron and positron annihilate their mass isn't lost.  It is carried off in the light which is the result of the annihilation. 

The negative gravity speculation was just that, but speculating that dark matter is actually matter in a parallel dimension much like our own.  In this other dimension time runs backward and most matter that exist is anti-matter.  My speculation tries to answer the question - "where did all the anti-matter go?"  You see when we create matter - particles we always create equal amounts of matter+anti-matter.  So where did all this matter come from and where is all the anti-matter.  My speculation indicates maybe it is in a parallel dimension where time is running in reverse and it is considered dark matter to our dimension where it expels space into our dimension. 

Offline MrHollifield

• Charleston, SC USA
  • Liked: 15
  • Likes Given: 21
« Reply #70 on: 05/04/2017 07:55 PM »
I think it might be possible that the dark voids are another universe where gravitational objects what pull in their space expel it out into our universe.

Gravity appears to contract space into it pulling in whats around it.

AIUI, gravity is our experience of spacetime contracted by the creation of matter from energy. When the energy in that matter is released, say during fusion in a star, spacetime expands outward, reducing the gravitation of the star. In the dark voids, there are no stars releasing energy, so there could be no expansion generated in the voids. More likely, the spacetime expanding out of the luminous regions with many stars is pushing against these voids to expand the universe.

Offline Bob012345

• Liked: 50
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #71 on: 05/08/2017 02:30 PM »

No, it is believed anti-matter generates normal gravity as far as I know.  It also takes positive energy to make anti-matter.  What I was speculating is that anti-matter is negative energy in reverse time which makes it behave like normal matter but when it comes into contact with normal matter the time and then energy cancel out inducing a wave in the vacuum which carries the effective mass elsewhere.  This being why when an electron and positron annihilate their mass isn't lost.  It is carried off in the light which is the result of the annihilation. 

The negative gravity speculation was just that, but speculating that dark matter is actually matter in a parallel dimension much like our own.  In this other dimension time runs backward and most matter that exist is anti-matter.  My speculation tries to answer the question - "where did all the anti-matter go?"  You see when we create matter - particles we always create equal amounts of matter+anti-matter.  So where did all this matter come from and where is all the anti-matter.  My speculation indicates maybe it is in a parallel dimension where time is running in reverse and it is considered dark matter to our dimension where it expels space into our dimension.

Some think that electrons actually are not affected by gravity. The paper below measures gravitational force as 0.09mg. The authors though interpret that there is an induced electromagnetic force in the apparatus that counters gravity but others disagree with that interpretation.

https://journals.aps.org/prl/abstract/10.1103/PhysRevLett.19.1049

Tags: