Author Topic: Russians to take over ISS if USA gives up on it  (Read 5942 times)

Online Chris Bergin

Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Colby

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: Russians to take over ISS if USA gives up on it
« Reply #1 on: 07/29/2005 05:40 am »

Does anyone have any more information on Russia's planned "Parom" spacecraft? The idea of a space tug sounds interesting considering that NASA is retiring the Shuttle in 2010. I wonder if it would be possible for the spacecraft to transport large lab modules that NASA is obligated to launch (i.e. Columbus, Kibo) from LEO to the ISS?

Colby

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #2 on: 07/30/2005 06:40 am »
Oh yes, that's a good reminder....I'll get back on that after STS-114.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Colby

• Veteran
  • Liked: 1
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: 08/09/2005 05:45 pm »
Alright, you promised you get back on this after STS-114! I Googled this and I found absolutely nothing, so I'm really interested to see if this thing is going to be built and what its capabilities are.
Colby

Offline realtime

• Extreme Veteran
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #4 on: 08/10/2005 04:32 am »
Decent article.  Some of it is braggadocio and marsh gas, but I like the tug concept.  Put the expensive guidance and RCS gear in the tug and throw payloads at it.

Sounds familiar.  Think they're trying to get the jump on the 60 Day Study?

Online Chris Bergin

« Reply #5 on: 08/20/2005 02:56 am »
Here's an expanded question from a poster on SDC - one for Anik for sure:

"(1) The shuttle will not fly again until March 2006 at the earliest.

(2) The current agreement with Russia to fly Americans to the ISS ends about the same time. For the April 2006 Soyuz launch "two seats in the Soyuz would be given to Russian cosmonauts and one would go to either a space tourist, a European Space Agency astronaut or any other candidate who can pay for the flight." (Space Daily article).

(3) With Iran starting nuclear enrichment again, and some evidence that Iran is arming insurgents in Iraq, weakening ITAR/INA to allow NASA to buy Russia services may be politically difficult.

So what happens if the Shuttle isn't ready to fly by March and Congress doesn't approve NASA buying launch and lifeboat services from Russia?

The March/April 2006 timeframe may be very interesting."

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 955
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #6 on: 08/20/2005 01:16 pm »
Chris Bergin - 20/8/2005  6:56 AM

So what happens if the Shuttle isn't ready to fly by March and Congress doesn't approve NASA buying launch and lifeboat services from Russia?

I don't know, but I think that then...

1) ...aboard Soyuz TMA-8 on March 22, 2006 will be launched Kondratyev, Vinogradov and, maybe, fourth space tourist from Japan;

2) ...aboard Soyuz TMA-7 on April 1, 2006 will be landed Tokarev, McArthur and space tourist;

3) ...after April 1, 2006 aboard ISS will be... two Russian cosmonauts - Vinogradov and Kondratyev!

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography