Author Topic: NASA - James Webb Space Telescope - Discussion and Updates  (Read 160287 times)

Offline mmonty

• Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: NASA - James Webb Space Telescope - Discussion and Updates
« Reply #500 on: 05/08/2017 12:05 PM »
My guess is that they moved it at 3 AM Saturday morning. They close part of I-495 when they do these big moves, and that's the best time to do it.

I hope we get some photos of the move.

It left Goddard overnight Wednesday into Thursday (3 - 4 May).

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 731
  • Likes Given: 330
« Reply #501 on: 05/11/2017 09:11 PM »
Presumable this is one of the two C-5Cs correct? 
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline catdlr

• Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 1181
  • Likes Given: 661
« Reply #502 on: 05/12/2017 11:40 PM »
JWST mission preparations

European Space Agency, ESA
Published on May 12, 2017

In October 2018 a European rocket will launch the largest astronomical space telescope ever built. The James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), is an international collaboration between NASA, ESA and the Canadian Space Agency (CSA). It will use infrared light to study the birth and evolution of planets, stars and galaxies throughout our cosmic history, advancing our understanding of the Universe.

JWST represents the next step for visible and infrared space astronomy after the Hubble Space Telescope, launched in 1990, first opened new doors into our Universe. NASA, ESA and CSA have teamed up to build this extraordinary piece of science engineering.

Expectations are high as the telescope and its instruments have recently finished integration and testing at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center.

Since filming this video, JWST has been shipped to NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston for further testing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R733CRJkuo?t=001

Tony De La Rosa

Offline Nomadd

• Boca Chica, Texas
  • Liked: 2650
  • Likes Given: 177
« Reply #503 on: 05/13/2017 02:07 AM »

Are they still designated as 5Cs or have they been updated to 5M standard?

I think one was upgraded to M a couple of years ago. It seems like I remember a story about it getting noise/vibration measured after the upgrade.
 The other one might be in upgrade now.
« Last Edit: 05/13/2017 02:13 AM by Nomadd »

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
  • Liked: 2157
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #504 on: 05/13/2017 02:51 AM »
Wikipedia says that the two C-5Cs were 68-213 and 68-216. The tail number here is 213. (USAF aircraft serial numbers start with the year that the aircraft was ordered, so they were both ordered in 1968 but probably delivered a year or two later.)

According to the same Wiki entry, their new designation is C-5M (SCM) for "Space Cargo Modified."

Offline Targeteer

• near hangar 18
  • Liked: 731
  • Likes Given: 330
« Reply #505 on: 05/13/2017 04:03 AM »

Are they still designated as 5Cs or have they been updated to 5M standard?

They are the only two C-5A's (originally, redesignated C's after the satellite related mods) upgraded with new engines.  50 B models received the upgrades and all the other A's are headed to the boneyard.

Thanks for all the responses.   I was curious if that shipping container required the modified birds...
Best quote heard during an inspection, "I was unaware that I was the only one who was aware."

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #506 on: 05/13/2017 11:41 PM »
I was curious if that shipping container required the modified birds...

You can see inside the fuselage of that C-5 that it is open all the way to the top. There's no upper deck. If you look into the fuselage of a regular C-5, you can see a flat roof that is the floor of the upper deck.

Offline joncz

• Veteran
  • Atlanta, Georgia
  • Liked: 41
  • Likes Given: 105
« Reply #507 on: 05/15/2017 10:14 AM »
(USAF aircraft serial numbers start with the year that the aircraft was ordered, so they were both ordered in 1968 but probably delivered a year or two later.)

I believe that's the fiscal year, not calendar year, as well.  So 68- SN's could have been ordered any time from 1 OCT 68 to 30 SEP 69.

« Last Edit: 05/15/2017 10:14 AM by joncz »

Offline Blackstar

• Veteran
« Reply #508 on: 05/15/2017 05:01 PM »
(USAF aircraft serial numbers start with the year that the aircraft was ordered, so they were both ordered in 1968 but probably delivered a year or two later.)

I believe that's the fiscal year, not calendar year, as well.  So 68- SN's could have been ordered any time from 1 OCT 68 to 30 SEP 69.

No, the fiscal year ends on the last day of September. However, prior to 1976, the fiscal year began on 1 July and ended on 30 June.

Offline catdlr

• Marina del Rey, California, USA
  • Liked: 1181
  • Likes Given: 661
James Webb Space Telescope Acoustic Testing

James Webb Space Telescope (JWST)
Published on May 25, 2017
SUBSCRIBED 19K

A throwback to March, when we performed acoustic testing on the James Webb Space Telescope at NASA Goddard.  Because rockets are loud and vibrate a lot, we simulate the effect that will have on a spacecraft, to be sure it will survive the ride to space.  We did vibration tests first - but we also did acoustic tests, where Webb was blasted with sound.  Learn more with this video.

Credit: NASA Goddard Space Flight Center.

The video has no audio narration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ru_UfJmvIo?t=001

Tony De La Rosa

Tags: