Author Topic: SCRUB: SpaceX Falcon 1, Launch Dec 19  (Read 73811 times)

Offline braddock

• NSF Private Space Flight Editor
  • Liked: 16
  • Likes Given: 8
SCRUB: SpaceX Falcon 1, Launch Dec 19
« on: 12/16/2005 01:44 pm »
SpaceX has announced a launch date set for Monday, December 19th, at 10am US Pacific Coast Time.  They had previously said launch would take place around December 20th contingent on the Government's Kwajalein test schedule, but they are now announcing December 19th as firm (or as firm as this business allows).

See the SpaceX web site http://www.spacex.com for details (Launch Info button at top)

Sounds like they are promising a more coordinated call-in line as well: "Media uanble to attend may listen and ask questions through a telephone conference line that will be moderated throughout the launch window by Gwynne Shotwell, VP of Business Development at SpaceX and one of the first ten employees at the company. Questions from media will be taken at designated intervals."

Offline Rocket Ronnie

• Regular
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 0
RE: SpaceX Launch Date of December 19th Set
« Reply #1 on: 12/16/2005 03:54 pm »
6pm UK is the time I work that out to be.

Offline Mark Max Q

• Going Supersonic
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #2 on: 12/16/2005 05:20 pm »
At least they won't run out of LOX this time!

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 160
« Reply #3 on: 12/16/2005 11:37 pm »
SpaceX - Better luck this time - show them how.. Know what I will be doing 10am Monday..

Offline braddock

« Reply #4 on: 12/17/2005 12:58 pm »
TIME CORRECTION: The launch window on Monday does not start until 11am US Pacific Time (7pm UTC/London), media coverage will begin at 10:30am Pacific  (6:30pm UTC/London).  Only Media check-in was at 10am.  Sorry about the confusion.

We will be providing minute-by-minute coverage here in the forums, of course.

Offline Chris Bergin

RE: LIVE UPDATES SpaceX Falcon 1, Launch Dec 19
« Reply #5 on: 12/17/2005 08:02 pm »
It's going to be one of those fun nights again (the last attempt was the busiest thread we've every had on here). This will be the live update thread.
Support NSF via L2 -- Help improve NSF -- Site Rules/Feedback/Updates
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Rocket Nut

• Veteran
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: 12/17/2005 09:53 pm »
I hate those long launch windows...I have spent many hours waiting for the end of a launch window here at the Cape, knowing that they were never going to make it.  Still couldn't go home...had to wait them out.  I wouldn't want to miss the 2 or 3 minutes of excitement during a live launch.

I've waited for hours for a launch that disappeared into low clouds within 20 seconds...still wouldn't miss it!!

Cheers,

Larry

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #7 on: 12/17/2005 10:37 pm »
Rocket Nut - 17/12/2005  10:53 PM

I hate those long launch windows...I have spent many hours waiting for the end of a launch window here at the Cape, knowing that they were never going to make it.  Still couldn't go home...had to wait them out.  I wouldn't want to miss the 2 or 3 minutes of excitement during a live launch.

I've waited for hours for a launch that disappeared into low clouds within 20 seconds...still wouldn't miss it!!

Cheers,

Larry

The countdown is a drama that is addictive enough to interest people who may not even know first thing about what is involved pre-launch. We saw a lot of this ahead of STS-114, with people who I know don't understand the terminology feeling the drama of the ever-decreasing T-.

The final few minutes of 114 seem to go so fast, but the explosive power and dangers of the launch are pre-empted in ways anyone can feel, with the noise of technicalities muted down into simple comments of "God Speed Discovery" - which personally says it all to me.

Manned space flight and debuts of new eras (such as Falcon 1) all come down to those final minutes - not knowing if she'll launch up to the final last second - of drama that unify months and years of so many people's best efforts to take one more step in building the platforms that will take us past our own small planet in what I personally believe is the human race's one chance to unify against our own shortcomings under one flag.

Space flight is that important.
**Not a L2 member? Whitelist this forum in your adblocker to support the site and ensure full functionality.**

Offline Rocket Nut

• Veteran
  • Liked: 4
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: 12/18/2005 12:06 am »
Chris Bergin - 17/12/2005  6:37 PM

Space flight is that important.

I absolutely agree there...

It is also great drama and entertainment.  A great reason to be alive!  I can no longer actually participate, but I can do so vicarioulsy via your forums.

Thanks,

Larry

Offline Mark Max Q

• Going Supersonic
  • Liked: 12
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #9 on: 12/18/2005 02:22 am »
You really come out with some stiring comments, Chris. Ever wanted to be a Columnist? I bet you could have a write off with Derbyshire and knock him out :)

The last SpaceX Live update thread was great. I think so many people came here as the drama built up because Braddon and Chris were getting everything said from SpaceX on to the forum within a few seconds. Was a great job. Looking forward to a success this time.

Offline lmike

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #10 on: 12/18/2005 11:09 am »
Sorry for a 'me too' post, but I'm really looking forward to Monday now...  Best of luck to SpaceX.

Offline DaveS

• Shuttle program observer
  • Sweden
  • Liked: 1199
  • Likes Given: 65
« Reply #11 on: 12/18/2005 11:15 am »
I wish SpaceX the best of luck tommorow! They really need this one to be successfull.
"For Sardines, space is no problem!"
-1996 Astronaut class slogan

"We're rolling in the wrong direction but for the right reasons"
-USA engineer about the rollback of Discovery prior to the STS-114 Return To Flight mission

Offline braddock

« Reply #12 on: 12/18/2005 12:47 pm »
Glad to see so much excitement around here!  I have relayed some of your wishes of good luck to the SpaceX team via their Media Rep.

Also, we have tentatively arranged to have the SpaceX VP of Development Operations (a Boeing vet on Delta II, III, IV and Titan IV) take a few of your technical or general questions via e-mail.  I will let you know the details once I have confirmation.

-braddock

Offline Chris Bergin

« Reply #13 on: 12/18/2005 12:52 pm »
Mark Max Q - 18/12/2005  3:22 AM

You really come out with some stiring comments, Chris. Ever wanted to be a Columnist? I bet you could have a write off with Derbyshire and knock him out :)

I don't do op-ed ;) Never wanted to be a columnist as I don't believe opinion is news.

Offline Martin FL

• Elite Veteran
  • Liked: 137
  • Likes Given: 278
« Reply #14 on: 12/18/2005 01:54 pm »
Looking forward to this with it being just a day away!

Offline Chris Bergin

Offline Super George

« Reply #16 on: 12/18/2005 11:27 pm »
Big launch window!  :o  At least with the 30 percent chance of rain, they've got plenty of opportunities.

Offline Avron

• Canadian Member
  • Liked: 156
  • Likes Given: 160
« Reply #17 on: 12/19/2005 12:27 am »
Super George - 18/12/2005  7:27 PM

Big launch window!  :o  At least with the 30 percent chance of rain, they've got plenty of opportunities.

Less than a day away.. I am so looking forward to their success...   and there I was wondering how I was going to get into work and cover the launch at 7am EST... small miss-calculation - EH.. its 2pm EST... a lot better... add or subtract 3 hours...

SpaceX your timing is just great..

but I tell ya.. the coverage here was a lot better last attempt..

Offline Jamie Young

• This custom rank is currently being decided on
  • Denver
  • Liked: 52
  • Likes Given: 151
« Reply #18 on: 12/19/2005 05:09 am »
Long time fan of the site and lurker, signed up now to be able to follow the launch better as the last time they tried was covered here by the two people monitoring the status much much better than anyone else. And it was exciting rather with other people able to talk rather than updating the spaceflightnow site hoping they write something new every 15 minutes and usually 15 minutes after its been on here.

Looking forward to it!!

Good luck SpaceX!

Offline Orbiter Obvious

• Extreme Veteran
« Reply #19 on: 12/19/2005 05:54 am »
Good luck to SpaceX, it looks like they have the time, a good chance with the weather and all the LOX they need ;)

Those that are new here can see how this will work by looking at the previous attempt thread. I agree with Avron, it was a lot faster than anywhere else, more live! But also easy to follow, so I think you were talking about the SpaceX HQ where the local media were there being a mess, cause they didn't have the benefit of the in-line media call line.

http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=918&start=1 is the previous launch attempt. Also you don't have to wait for someone in charge of the site like pressing refresh all the time, you can ask questions. you get images without waiting for approval and you can have an atmosphere. Very cool.

Tags:

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography