Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Next
Do you know if they plan to use the same parts in the production version that will actually be sent to Mars, though? I'm guessing NASA could still design and build radiation hardened electronics for the Mars helicopter before 2020...
If you actually dig into the details, you can find that flying commercial parts is not uncommon.

For example - Junocam is the KAI-2020, which is orderable for around $1K
It is not a rad-hard part.

Warren Buffet's Berkshire Hathaway has a number of subsidiaries with minority interests, for example.

Which?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Berkshire_Hathaway

To me it looks like the vast majority of their companies are majority owned, they have one major investment where a different company is the majority owner then they have three major investments where the companies have an independent C-suite and board.  Not one of these 60 cases seems comparable to the Starlink inversion.  And this in a company that is incredibly successful at judicious use of other people's capital.

So real quick summary, please add or correct where needed:
1 engine per day
1 core every 14 days
14 1st stages in 2018
20 2nd stages in 2018
24-28 launches in 2018
roughly 18 launches in 2019
60% of launches globally
BFR to start flying in 2024

But it takes them 18-24 months to produce an F9.
I do not think they will have to plan for production of new F9 boosters 2 years from now.
2nd stage will be ongoing, but even here I can see Merlin 1D (Vac) production stopping in 2019/20.

What?
Facebook group, will get the picture.

EDIT: here is the link to the post and pic. (Link is long)

Link
What makes you think it's B1048 and not B1047?
5-22-18 Nat Geo Article re. EM drive testing @ Technische Universitšt Dresden, Germany

Simplistic summary: physicists theorize that the thrust that was measured is a product of an interaction between Earth's magnetic field and power cables within the mechanism.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/2018/05/nasa-emdrive-impossible-physics-independent-tests-magnetic-space-science/?utm_source=quora&utm_medium=referral

(My own comment): If true, this would render moot most deep space use and limit productive research to travel within magnetic fields. Perhaps it might be effective at continual reboost for ISS. I suppose it might hold potential as a good way to power a space junk sweeper as it moves from target to target. Perhaps gravity assists at Jupiter and Saturn could be augmented with such a device. Or maybe interaction with the sun's magnetic field following a gravity assist from an inner planet.

If that's the case can a galaxy's magnetic field be used?

https://public.nrao.edu/news/galaxy-magnetic-field/

SpaceX General Section / Re: The SpaceX Launch Log
« Last post by EspenU on Today at 11:09 AM »
Thanks! first post updated with a tiny change ;D
I agree that your version is better ;D
My semiconductor physics classes were a long time ago.  I would like to see some analysis of the measured surface radiation levels and how that drives the selection of electronics on Mars surface explorers.  Earthbound consumer electronics like Raspberry Pis and DSLRs are designed for a very protected environment and use extremely high levels of miniturization. 
I note the Mars 2020 helicopter uses a chip nearly identical to the raspberry Pi camera.

As mentioned in the thread on the Mars 2020 helicopter,   this document contains information on this basically completely unshielded device made from commercial parts.

Do you know if they plan to use the same parts in the production version that will actually be sent to Mars, though? I'm guessing NASA could still design and build radiation hardened electronics for the Mars helicopter before 2020...
Now this looks interesting!

Halo, the latest in a generation of drones.

Unlike other unmanned aerial vehicles, however, the helium filled device is neither as sleek nor as compact as its cohorts that take to the skies to deliver packages, snap photos or participate in racing contests.

Spacial, a Brooklyn-based start-up behind the Halo, has high expectations for its invention, which comes as drones are now invading the glamorous world of Hollywood filmmaking by delivering breathtaking aerial shots. The Halo, which has an attached digital camera specifically designed to film in enclosed spaces, is auditioning for a starring role.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/05/06/thats-no-balloon-its-a-drone-halo-takes-to-the-skies-as-latest-trend-in-uavs.html
SpaceX Reusability / Re: F9 Second Stage Reusability
« Last post by rsdavis9 on Today at 10:38 AM »
In other words using the excellent falcon S2 as a booster from LEO to GTO/GSO and back to LEO to recover. Should be better than the solids that are were used with the shuttle. Of course the added problem of fueling and keeping it topped up while in orbit/transit, venting O2, etc.
Chinese Launchers / Re: The China Taikonauts Thread
« Last post by SMS on Today at 10:29 AM »
from: https://www.weibo.com/6528178851/GixXzcixc?from=page_1005056528178851_profile&wvr=6&mod=weibotime&type=comment

google translation:

Our country has successfully organized the 2018 annual astronaut desert field survival training! On May 26th, 15 astronauts who participated in field survival training in the Badan Jaran Desert all returned to Beijing, marking the successful completion of the 19-day training. This is the first time that China has organized field training for astronaut in desert areas in the landing area.
It is understood that the astronaut desert field survival training is based on the annual training plan...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Next