Author Topic: Flight crew assignments  (Read 1897632 times)

Offline Ben E

• Liked: 100
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Flight crew assignments
« Reply #40 on: 11/08/2005 07:43 pm »
Anik,

Do you have a link for the Expedition 15 crew announcement? And also the Expedition 13 and 14 press releases, too? I can't seem to find official confirmation anywhere on the net.

Thanks

Ben

Offline Rocket Guy

• Liked: 7
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #41 on: 11/08/2005 10:09 pm »
They are real and 'official' internally but none of these will be published soon.

The only discrepancy I have with Anik is I have Whitson as FE and Kotov as CDR(?).

Offline Flightstar

• Lurking around OPF High Bay 2
  • KSC, Florida
  • Liked: 78
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #42 on: 11/09/2005 02:48 am »
Ben E - 8/11/2005  2:43 PM

Anik,

Do you have a link for the Expedition 15 crew announcement? And also the Expedition 13 and 14 press releases, too? I can't seem to find official confirmation anywhere on the net.

Thanks

Ben

Anik tends to find information out before it is "on the internet to the public" :)

Offline Rocket Guy

« Reply #43 on: 11/09/2005 05:35 am »
So do I...I have a source at JSC who shares all the latest crew changes as soon as they happen, and he has never been wrong once amazingly in the last five or so years I've known him or her :-)

Offline Ben E

« Reply #44 on: 11/09/2005 09:31 am »
Yes, the CDRs of ISS crews do seem to alternate between US and Russian, so if Expedition 13 has a Russian CDR (Tyurin?) then Expedition 15 should have one, too (Kotov?)

BTW I'm aware Kotov is an MD, but is he officially classed as a pilot-cosmonaut or an engineer?

Ben

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 955
  • Likes Given: 368
« Reply #45 on: 11/09/2005 10:26 am »
Ben E - 8/11/2005  11:43 PM

Do you have a link for the Expedition 15 crew announcement? And also the Expedition 13 and 14 press releases, too?

No, Ben E!... This is unofficial information from Russian “Novosti kosmonavtiki” magazine and Gagarin Cosmonaut Training Centre (GCTC)…

Ben - 9/11/2005  2:09 AM

The only discrepancy I have with Anik is I have Whitson as FE and Kotov as CDR(?).

Ben, I heard the American side want that the Expedition 15 Commander was the American…

I also have the following unofficial information:

Expedition 15 backup crew:

CDR TBD
FE1 Mikhail Korniyenko
FE2 Maksim Surayev

Expedition 16 crews:

Prime
CDR Yury Malenchenko
FE1 TBD
FE2 TBD

Backup
CDR Yury Lonchakov
FE1 TBD
FE2 TBD

Expedition 17 crews:

Prime
CDR TBD
FE1 Oleg Kononenko
FE2 Sergey Volkov

Backup
CDR TBD
FE1 Aleksandr Kaleri
FE2 Roman Romanenko

There are many “TBDs” in these crews, but I know that the following astronauts maybe included in the Expedition 15/16/17 crews:

Sandra Magnus, Gregory Chamitoff, Michael Barratt, Timothy Kopra, Robert Behnken, Nicole Stott, Leopold Eyharts (France), Andre Kuipers (Netherlands), Frank De Winne (Belgium), Robert Thirsk (Canada) and Koichi Wakata (Japan)

Offline nethegauner

• Awaiting flight assignment since 1975
  • Germany
  • Liked: 2
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #46 on: 11/09/2005 10:56 am »
anik - 9/11/2005  12:26 PM

There are many “TBDs” in these crews, but I know that the following astronauts maybe included in the Expedition 15/16/17 crews:

Sandra Magnus, Gregory Chamitoff, Michael Barratt, Timothy Kopra, Robert Behnken, Nicole Stott, Leopold Eyharts (France), Andre Kuipers (Netherlands), Frank De Winne (Belgium), Robert Thirsk (Canada) and Koichi Wakata (Japan)
Barratt, Kopra, Behnken and Stott? Interesting. They are from the 2000 class ...

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: 11/09/2005 12:27 pm »
Ben E - 9/11/2005  1:31 PM

so if Expedition 13 has a Russian CDR (Tyurin?)

Vinogradov, not Tyurin!...

Ben E - 9/11/2005  1:31 PM

I'm aware Kotov is an MD, but is he officially classed as a pilot-cosmonaut or an engineer?

Oleg Kotov will be the Soyuz TMA-10 Commander and the ISS Flight Engineer 2...

Offline Ben E

« Reply #48 on: 11/09/2005 12:30 pm »
Thanks, anik.
It's interesting also that by the time Expeditions 16 and 17 are flown (2007-2008), Columbus will probably have been installed. As some of the later expeditions have two Russians assigned, presumably the other seat will be taken by an American or a European (or Canadian or Japanese). All of this implies that either Destiny or Columbus - or both - will have to operate for at least one increment without a representative astronaut from its 'home' nation aboard.

My thinking was that the crews would change, after Columbus was attached, to something similar to Expedition 13/STS-121 - with one American, one Russian and one European on each increment, expanding to cover Japanese and Canadian astronauts when extra Soyuz return vehicles become available c 2008-2009.

Obviously, I was wrong.

Ben

Offline David AF

• F-22 Raptor Instructor / Fighter Pilot
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #49 on: 11/09/2005 07:45 pm »
nethegauner - 9/11/2005  5:56 AM

anik - 9/11/2005  12:26 PM

Barratt, Kopra, Behnken and Stott? Interesting. They are from the 2000 class ...

If this is refering to astronauts fresh out of boot camp, I did hear that the aim was to give as many different astronauts a shot of riding on a Shuttle before retirement of the fleet as opposed to Collins getting two more flights, for example. Can anyone confirm that?
F-22 Raptor instructor

Offline Ben E

« Reply #50 on: 11/09/2005 09:54 pm »
I would hedge my bets with Grunsfeld as CDR of Expedition 17. If the timing's right, it'll be about that time that both Columbus and Kibo are being installed. Great opportunity to have NASA's former Chief Scientist aboard...

I did hear rumours that Grunsfeld may also fly the last Hubble servicing mission. Can anyone confirm or counter that?

Other astronauts involved in ISS increment training, I believe, include Camarda and Robinson from STS-114. I'm sure that Wilson and Caldwell were also doing ISS advanced training at one point, although both (it seems) are assigned to Shuttle crews. Veterans of NEEMO undersea expeditions are also 'prime suspects' for future missions - Nick Patrick, Doug Wheelock, Rex Walheim, Cady Coleman and Dave Williams being a few.

Ben

Offline Rocket Guy

« Reply #51 on: 11/09/2005 11:47 pm »
Collins? She announced her retirement before 114 even launched.

Offline ADC9

• Veteran
  • France
  • Liked: 6
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #52 on: 11/10/2005 04:46 am »
He said Collins by way of giving an example. At least that is how I read it.

Offline Ben E

« Reply #53 on: 11/10/2005 02:59 pm »
I didn't think Collins actually announced her retirement before 114 flew; rather she said she didn't expect to fly again, but would wait and see. Having said that, having such a high profile and probably countless job offers, I don't expect her to fly again (but I hope she does).

Ben

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
« Reply #54 on: 11/10/2005 03:10 pm »
Ben E - 10/11/2005  1:54 AM

I did hear rumours that Grunsfeld may also fly the last Hubble servicing mission. Can anyone confirm or counter that?

Yes, Ben E... Recently John Grunsfeld trained in ISS Expedition 13 backup crew, but in September he was replaced on Michael Fincke because of preparation to Hubble Servicing Mission (HST-SM-04)...

Offline Rocket Guy

« Reply #55 on: 11/10/2005 06:58 pm »
Nah, her exact words were "This is my last flight." at one of the events I was at, maybe crew arrival :-)

Offline Ben E

« Reply #56 on: 11/10/2005 09:19 pm »
Ah, so Grunsfeld's Hubble assignment would explain the sudden "appearance" of Mike Fincke on the upcoming ISS crew roster.

Since Hubble has got to be the most coveted of the remaining Shuttle missions, can anyone speculate on other contenders for crew positions? Altman as CDR again? Nicollier? Massimino?

Offline rsp1202

• Elite Veteran
  • 3, 2, 1 . . . Make rocket go now
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #57 on: 11/10/2005 10:14 pm »
Thought Altman moved over to management, since he hasn't flown since. Hope he does; it wouldn't be first time a manager moved up.

Offline anik

• Global Moderator
« Reply #58 on: 11/23/2005 08:07 am »
Recently I received the new unofficial information about assignments in ISS Expeditions crews...

Michael Fincke is the commander and Fyodor Yurchikhin is the flight engineer 1 of the Expedition 13 backup crew now...

Garrett Reisman is the flight engineer 2 of the Expedition 14 prime crew now...

Peggy Whitson is the commander and Gennady Padalka (possibly) is the flight engineer 1 of the Expedition 14 backup crew now... The flight engineer 2 in this crew is TBD...

Yury Malenchenko (possibly) is the commander, Fyodor Yurchikhin is the flight engineer 1 and Clayton Anderson is the flight engineer 2 of the Expedition 15 prime crew now...

ISS Expedition 13-19 prime and backup crews will be confirmed at the Multilateral Crew Operations Panel (MCOP) meeting in December 3-6, 2005...

Offline Ben E

« Reply #59 on: 11/23/2005 10:02 am »
Thanks anik,

Does that mean the Expedition 14 roster is Mike Lopez-Alegria (CDR), Mikhail Tyurin (FE) and Garrett Reisman (FE)?

If so, what's happened to Clay Anderson and Sunita Williams?

Tags: Crew 9 

Advertisement NovaTech
Advertisement Northrop Grumman
Advertisement
Advertisement Margaritaville Beach Resort South Padre Island
Advertisement Brady Kenniston
Advertisement NextSpaceflight
Advertisement Nathan Barker Photography