Author Topic: Missions TV Show  (Read 1417 times)

Online yg1968

• Liked: 1340
  • Likes Given: 850
Missions TV Show
« on: 01/07/2018 04:38 AM »
I watched season 1 of this French TV show that takes place on Mars. I liked it, it's different. I bought it on the Apple itunes store (it's available with subtitles):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt6445112/

It's been renewed for a second season.

Offline DaveMorgan

• Wessex
  • Liked: 0
  • Likes Given: 79
Re: Missions TV Show
« Reply #1 on: 05/17/2018 06:13 PM »
It is on BBC four in UK in just under 2 hours time ...

Offline Cheapchips

• Liked: 60
  • Likes Given: 162
« Reply #2 on: 05/23/2018 08:53 PM »

I've watched the first couple of episodes.  I think I'll watch a few more, as the story's opening out a little.  Characters and moments of contrived drama are on the silly side though.

Top of my list, why the hell does a team of half a dozen need a crew therapist?  Why is every system on the ship, including life support, run from a single power hungry AI server farm.    ::)

Offline Ben the Space Brit

• A spaceflight fan
  • London, UK
  • Liked: 641
  • Likes Given: 751
« Reply #3 on: 05/25/2018 09:22 AM »
Top of my list, why the hell does a team of half a dozen need a crew therapist?  Why is every system on the ship, including life support, run from a single power hungry AI server farm.    ::)

I think that the psychologist issue is resolved by remembering that having someone who can warn mission control of oncoming problems that may not be obvious from 100 million miles away just might be advantageous.

As for the control system problems? Well, that's just a common drama trope that's used in sci-fi these days. It's unimaginative and technically illiterate but seems to be a cheap and easy tactic to create a crisis. I believe that exactly the same malfunction was used to create artificial drama on the National Geographic story that Ron Howard directed.

Overall, it seems to me to be an alien abduction/interference plot. The minute the Russian turned up, I turned off.

« Last Edit: 06/02/2018 06:29 AM by Ben the Space Brit »
"Oops! I left the silly thing in reverse!" - Duck Dodgers

~*~*~*~

The Space Shuttle Program - 1981-2011

The time for words has passed; The time has come to put up or shut up!
DON'T PROPAGANDISE, FLY!!!

Offline Nibb31

• France
  • Liked: 142
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #4 on: 05/28/2018 07:48 AM »
It's damn stupid.

Their whole mars mission profile is totally stupid: The mission is headed by an Elon Musk clone, to land on Mars with no idea where you're going, what you're going to do when you get there, or how you're going to get back. Their lander is the size of a Space 1999 Eagle on the outside, but it's like Battlestar Galactica on the inside.

You think the part where the Russian shows up is bad. Wait until you get to the point where they get boarded by a NASA/Rogue Psychopath Space Marines crew who wants to kill everyone.

Offline MikeAtkinson

• Bracknell, England
  • Liked: 520
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #5 on: 05/28/2018 08:49 AM »
It's damn stupid.

Sure is.

Tropes so far: alien interference in Earth history, alien abduction, a mysterious artifact, unknown element/alloy. Space marines (psychopathic, undisciplined), US entrepreneur who is evil, minions who willing follow him. He's invented a spacecraft which probably breaks known laws of physics. AI (probably rogue). Programming genius who rewrites the AI to a low power mode in an impossibly short time - which not only works first time but doesn't bother testing it. We are all going to die - life support failure - when they have suits and a rover which would support them for many days. An extra strand of DNA, which makes no sense biologically. Irrational behavior among the crew

I'm waiting for time travel, possession, power stones, open the pod bay doors HAL.

I'll continue watching, but don't hold up much hope of improvement.

Offline MikeAtkinson

• Bracknell, England
  • Liked: 520
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #6 on: 05/31/2018 03:46 PM »
My wife has now watched the first 4 episodes and really enjoyed them. Her comment was that they were over too soon, just as she was getting into an episode it was over.

Tags: